Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WAAY OT: Having a guitar appraised?

J_tour

I know I should be posting this in the guitar forum, but, well...you know.

I've got a 1972 (I think) walnut-finish Gibson SG Special I want to sell to finance some new gear. I think I could actually get some $$$ for it, but I haven't got a clue as to with which impartial party I could consult about finding its value. I've seen all the relevant websites, but they just aren't specific enough and don't seem to have the kinds of precise information about dating the guitar and assessing any mods, etc. (the tuners were swapped for Schallers, e.g.) that were made to it. I've already checked E-Bay, of course, but without knowing precisely how mine compares to others that have sold, it doesn't help me much.

Anyone know anything about this "problem"? Anyone want to buy a guitar? I just can't stand steel-work anymore, and I want to sell this one ASAP.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, should have added this also after just re-reading your post.

This assumes no mods. Anything changed generally lowers the price below these figures. Many of this era Gibson's had tuners that were upgraded since the stock Gibby's sucked. That alone probably wouldn't drive it below the $1300, but anything beyond that lowers that value considerably....

I put it up on Craigslist for a lark at $1500 -- thinking that the usual standards of bargaining would apply. Ask high, they offer low, come to a compromise.

I got an amusing e-mail not an hour after listing:

"Hey there, so it say's made in USA under the serial number on the back of the headstock, it's walnut not cherry finish, its had a headstock repair, and there's no case and you want $1500?"

Maybe I should put some faux-marble finish on it and jack the offering price up a bit?

You did not mention the "headstock repair". That's an "owee" on the value, although also common. But yeah, that's definitely starting at the top..:)

I do think the Craigslist buyer is a bit more hip. In my experience, you get a better price on Ebay, especially if you're good at pumping up the language of the auction to make it more interesting. And no need to find a copy of the Price Guide; what I printed above really is all it says.....

Good to know, re the Price Guide. Thanks again for the help. Just because I'm (obviously) a real know-nothing as far as guitars are concerned, I'd rather try to sell locally -- I don't want to be accused of (or guilty of!) misrepresenting something after shipping a sort-of-delicate instrument across the country.

Of course the guy was right -- even a dummy like me knows that $1500 is pretty far-fetched. His reply amused me, however, in the same way an escaped shy animal expecting pellets or some zoocakes a half-mile down the road from the roadside circus amuses me, or amuses children. For a millisecond I thought I might have been the cousin of "that ebay guy" selling the demolition derby Hammond for 6K "Buy It Now!" or something, but what can I do?

I think I'll just go around to a few major guitar stores in town and see if I can pay to have it appraised locally by at least a few different shops.

Thanks again, z, this has been a really informative thread for me.

Archived