Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who has a MySpace page to promote their music?

Ted Rackley

Hi guys,

I saw Dave Bryce's other posts about hearing music online and then hearing music on CD's, but let's not deny that MySpace is the new big thing. My girlfriend is a MySpace junkie and she just got me into it. Now record companies hire fewer high priced A & R reps. They can hire interns to search for new talent on MySpace.

A few years ago when I was gigging in NYC with my Jazz-Fusion group, I would have people sign up at my shows for an email blast list. This was a huge pain (due to ISP bandwidth limits) and I lost people who just didn't want my emails anymore. Now, music promotion has evolved and is less obtrusive thanks to the MySpace networking site and MySpace music pages. You can now tell 1000s of people about your gig or CD or whatever without annoying them, and actually have a music career without being signed, and without GB/wedding gigs, to quote Seinfeld: "not that there's anything wrong with that". But let's face it, we've all done it for the money, and it beats bagging groceries at the supermarket.

So I say, let's be friends and post your MySpace page here, if you want, because it also seems like a real easy way for us to check out everyone else's music (and maybe land a few more gigs here and there). Some of those links in the MP3.com thread no longer work, and on MySpace, most of the songs just start playing automatically...seems a little easier to use.

Here's the one I made for Muse Research:

http://www.myspace.com/museresearch

Let's hear it!!

-Ted

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If myspace is so effective, why did you have to post here?

Myspace is nothing new. Your myspace-junkie-girlfriend is a bit behind the times in having just told you about it.

One thing, though. How are myspace notices any different, or less annoying, than email notices? People voluntarily sign up for either method.

Myspace is just enjoying a wow factor for those who are easily wowed. "Networking" (what an 80s term to use!) is the same as website bookmarks. Finding music websites was/is just as easy with Internet Explorer, etc. I once had helped start a business, develop products, and produce sales WITHOUT myspace. :o

Myspace simply narrows (not broadens) your Internet view. It does provide free websites, like Yahoo, AOL, and MSN have done. That is a good thing. Somehow, it just got the neato factor and the numbers followed.

MySpace is a cool tool for establishing an internet presence. However, I believe an artist/musician/band should also maintain a separate website too.

This is in addition to the old-fashioned marketing campaign. Go out there, play, kick a** and build a base one fan at a time.

Once a band develops any type of following, gigs come easier, merchandise sells and folks still sign up to be your friends. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Dude, this is kinda bordering on SPAM.

I think this could turn into a cool thread in a similar vein as Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!. Obviously, we don't want people to aggressively push themselves at members of the forum; but if all we're doing is sharing, then where's the harm?

Myspace is nothing new.

Then maybe it's about time we discussed it here (unless we have already, but I don't recall any KC myspace threads). There have been topics in Craig Anderton's SSS forum in which members shared their myspace pages with each other. Personally, I'm kind of curious as to who among us here is using that site as well.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Maybe Dave Bryce should start a similar topic about MySpace links and make it "official".

Dave?

I haven't gigged for a while because I was kind of frustrated trying to get people to come out, which is difficult anyway in NYC. But most of the folks I met out there were into this DJ/Hip Hop/electronic music thing or were musicians/producers themselves and were into their own thing. For a while I thought it was maybe that jazz-fusion was just out of vogue, but the cats in my band loved playing the stuff I wrote, and we all had a good time that was musically fulfilling. It just seemed near impossible for it to ever start being a way to make money, so I got into the wedding/party band thing and music-tech sales/support.

Then I tried a rock thing, but had too much trouble with flaky, unprofessional musicians and singers who had LSD (Lead Singers Disease, i.e. overblown egos).

So, yeah, I guess me and my girl are a little behind with the MySpace thing, but I'm starting to get excited about writing and playing songs again because maybe with MySpace I can finally get some folks to start showing up (plus I live in Texas now, so it's easier to get around, no traffic or subway).

I'd like to do a pop-rock power trio thing so the music has a broader appeal than my instrumental stuff, but I'm not really a singer. Then again, the singing in ELP/Hendrix/Cream wasn't the greatest either, so does it really matter? Is the American Idol thing just making it all about the singer, and nothing about the band?

Dave?

Maybe Dave Bryce should start a similar topic about MySpace links and make it "official".

I'd like to do a pop-rock power trio thing so the music has a broader appeal than my instrumental stuff, but I'm not really a singer. Then again, the singing in ELP/Hendrix/Cream wasn't the greatest either, so does it really matter? Is the American Idol thing just making it all about the singer, and nothing about the band?

Dave?

I cannot agree with you here that it is all about the singer or the bands mentioned were not about the singer. ELP and Hendrix may not have been about vocals but the SHOW was outstanding along with the musicianship. Cream, now that is a tough one because Clapton is not about show and I guess the most you get visually there was the hatred between Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. :rawk: Although Baker was a monster (read show off) on the drums in the early years. :grin:

Take the Stones for instance it certainly isn't Mick's singing that has kept them going, but his phrasing is cool and he puts on a show and the band rocks. (unless they are snorting dad) :D

So I don't think it has to be about pure vocalist, but with MTV and other such shows it has become about Visual first plus musical talent. I have to say the bands I like best are the ones who put on a show and are having fun with it. That seems to be what the public likes as well.

Ted, I didn't find any tunes on your myspace site. Will you be loading any in?

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Huh?!?

I don't get it...I thought this was about hearing music online and getting gigs..how is that SPAM (unsolicted emails)?

-Ted

Where's your music? Your myspace page just looks like an ad for the Receptor. Spam.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Greetings,

Good thread! Yes, we've followed the current trend and have MySpace pages for each of our projects. I just configured it to $ell our music there as well. But we did it specifically at the request of our friends, clients and fans. Prior to those requests, we didn't care much about it either.

Here's what I don't understand about MySpace pages (please bear in mind that the whole MySpace thing is relatively new to me):

Let's say that I want to make an announcement about either a new CD release or an upcoming gig to all of those folks who have registered as our "friends". Is there a way to do it where I send the message once, and everyone on my list gets it? Or do I have to post it as a comment to each "friend's" MySpace page individually? How does it work? Is MySpace all about just clicking on everyone else's "friends" and checking them out? How do you really go about promoting yourself there? How is it any different than having a traditional web page (which we also have)?

BTW, in my experience keeping an emailing list of fans is a complete waste of time. People's email addresses change too frequently and before long the list is totally useless.

If you want to check out one of our MySpace pages, CLICK HERE.

I've registered to MySpace with bogus infos, just so I can check someone else's stuff once. After that, I found out at some point I received stuff, I don't remember if it was emails or friends comments, etc. And this even though I didn't even put a name or anything on my page. Kind of strange... :grin:

So... I doubt one can truly achieve something interesting there in terms of "being discovered" or "meeting interesting music people" more than on any other type of Web site, be it your own page, YouTube, etc.

What's definitely a turn off to me is that enormous amount of lost space given to "MyFriends" or "blog" type of stuff, what I personally consider to be totally useless and/or a colossal waste of time.

Sorry, but I'm the type of guy that run away from a Web page as soon as I read the word "blog". :P

If it's possible on MySpace to create a page that truly look professional and not have that 85% of lost space given to useless stuff, then I might reconsider building a page there. But I guess I wasn't patient enough to try.

:wave:

You can now tell 1000s of people about your gig or CD or whatever

And have 90% of them tell you they're too far away, and the rest not bother showing up, because they're too busy talking to their stinking MySpace friends.

How stupid do you think people are?

MySpace took off because it's exactly what this generation wanted - narcissistic self-promotion. You don't have to be cool, or talented, or anything to have thousands of myspace friends, because it's a great big conglomeration of millions of people who have no friends, have no life, and are just dying to be popular, so they accept your "friend requests" because they, just like you, are praying to their deity of choice that someone wants to be their friend!

I know personally dozens of bands who had a huge pile of myspace friends, including a large local contingency, who all said "let me know when your next show is, you rock" - and when they announced it (several weeks in advance)? Barely a handful of all these so-called friends showed up.

Myspace is bullshit. It's a great big "look at me, look how popular I am" pile of garbage.

Sad part is, when MySpace was created, it was supposed to be an avenue for bands to connect with fans. Too bad it became a great big popularity orgy fest.

When a band has 6,000+ "friends", and none of them can be arsed to make it to a show, that's nothing but a huge waste of time.

Unless, of course, you're one of those "vanity publisher" musicians, who put their music on every website they can find in the hopes that people will listen to it and heap you with praise.

For the working musician, it's effort better spent elsewhere...

MySpace, YouTube, etc., remind me of the yellow pages. Cool for advertising but in reality 90% of the real work is still dependent upon referrals and LAN. ;)

Griff, tell us how you really feel about TheirSpace. :P:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Let's say that I want to make an announcement about either a new CD release or an upcoming gig to all of those folks who have registered as our "friends". Is there a way to do it where I send the message once, and everyone on my list gets it? Or do I have to post it as a comment to each "friend's" MySpace page individually? How does it work? Is MySpace all about just clicking on everyone else's "friends" and checking them out? How do you really go about promoting yourself there? How is it any different than having a traditional web page (which we also have)?

Well, you've got a choice. Either you can manually add each and every friend you have to an "Event Invitation" (and give yourself Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in the process), or you can risk being banned for excessive usage by personally messaging each and every fan until you hit your "max usage for the day"....

Other than that, you're better off having a solid e-mail list you can fire off to occasionally about new CD releases, significant shows, et al...

MySpace is a cool tool for establishing an internet presence. However, I believe an artist/musician/band should also maintain a separate website too.

This is in addition to the old-fashioned marketing campaign. Go out there, play, kick a** and build a base one fan at a time.

Once a band develops any type of following, gigs come easier, merchandise sells and folks still sign up to be your friends. :cool:

Agreed. You hit da nail on da head. :thu:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I was in deep self intellectual thought (yes a very scary thing indeed)and wondered; If I go to my space and look at your space, does this now make it our space?

:D

Unless you are a shareholder, it is still TheirSpace (see above). :cool:

PD

Hey, now I remember also a TV report... Pages on MySpace about Madonna and other famous artists. Some with a lot of information that happened to be true... Of course, pages that weren't created by the real artists, but just by silly people who had nothing better to do of their time... :rolleyes:

So it gives you an idea how serious you can get on this type of Web site.

Here's what I don't understand about MySpace pages (please bear in mind that the whole MySpace thing is relatively new to me):

Let's say that I want to make an announcement about either a new CD release or an upcoming gig to all of those folks who have registered as our "friends". Is there a way to do it where I send the message once, and everyone on my list gets it? Or do I have to post it as a comment to each "friend's" MySpace page individually? How does it work?

Its actually quite simple, just post a blog. All your friends will recieve it but not be forced to read it, as it does not appear as a personal message but rather in a list of other blogs. It can get swamped by other blogs(only five can be displayed at once) but if you post it at a high traffic time many will see it.

I agree with the fact some are myspace junkies who have no friends, but it is a useful tool if you would like others to have the opportunity to listen to your music and you don't have time to create a whole website. Also it can be useful for keeping in touch with friends who don't live in a close proximity.

Also it can be useful for keeping in touch with friends who don't live in a close proximity.
Email and telephones (artifacts from the 1990s :D ) work for that same purpose.

True, but myspace can basically serve as an email for just your friends if you wish to receive little junk mail. Telephones are too outdated even to mention :freak:

in the end I agree with you on this one :wave:

Archived