Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

House of the Rising Sun

Hardtail

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a folk song...make it your own.

Yep. But I think most people listening to a covers band playing a song that starts with "There is/A house/in New Orleans" would automatically expect to hear something that sounds like the Animals' version, even though there are better versions out there. Cover bands are usually surprise-free affairs.

We played the song every night and it went over incredibly well. It turned out to be one of our more popular songs.

Here is a tape of us learning it, from an old rehearsal tape I had. Please ignore the quality and my singing, I was still getting used to the vocals and hadn't quite perfected it yet.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=265626&songID=5213161

We played the song every night and it went over incredibly well. It turned out to be one of our more popular songs.

Here is a tape of us learning it, from an old rehearsal tape I had. Please ignore the quality and my singing, I was still getting used to the vocals and hadn't quite perfected it yet.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=265626&songID=5213161

Thanks Craig. That's kind of the way I envision doing this tune.

Real good stuff Craig, I enjoyed that cut a lot.

And HT, back to your original question, just feel out the vibe of the crowd and know what mood you want to set. It'd be a good track to slow things down for a little while if you're running more super high energy, songs the rest of the show. I don't think people will care as long as it's a tasteful version and the band is tight. Personally, I'd like it if a band played it at a gig but I really like that song.

Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Damn good Strat sound and great playin'!! :)

Yep, House of the rising sun...first song I was ever taught and learned.

I like the way people will change some older songs and make them their own.

We used to play what is now classic rock back in the 80's.

We'd take "Louie-Louie" & "Hang on Sloopy" and rock the hell out of'em!

Songs like that are always crowd pleasers.

Randy

"Just play!"

We do the Frigid Pink version of it, we have keyboards so that helps get a cross between FP version and the Animals cover with the B3 and Leslie. It's still a valid tune to do with clasic rock cover bands and people love it. Love your version CRAIG!! great playing by all and nice vocal by YOU!! Nice fills by your guitar player! I liked his choises very much on thatm it's allot like what I do on it except I use the wah at some points on it with a little UltraVibe/chorus.

Before I get too many unwarranted compliments, that's actually the band leader on guitar. This was taken from a rehearsal tape, recorded at the very first rehearsal we did, when we became a three piece. That's the reason the bass parts are wonky, the vocals are rough and it's not as tight as I like it to be.

I wouldn't have posted it at all, but I thought it would give HT an idea of how we did it.

On a side note, that guitar is a Japanese, 57' reissue, run direct. It goes into a Roland multi-effect pedal and then right into the board, no direct box, no amp.

It was interesting when I saw them a few years back (the time they borrowed my amp) that quite a few of their signature songs were bumped up or modified in a hipper tone and speed which I found warranted. I've heard it all to death so having them actually modernize them was a fresh change.

That song in particular is one I'd like to hear with slide guitar accompaniment rather than the organ and with a more bluesy feel.

I'd like to hear what you come up with.... when I've got bandwidth.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived