Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slave Amp connections

Jere-n-Deb

I just learned about master & slave amps. I connect one amp to the other by plugging in the SEND from the MASTER to the ACTIVE INPUT on SLAVE.

My questions:

Which is best, plug the 160 watt (1x15) into the 350 watt (2x10) or vice versa?

Settings; should I flatten out the SLAVE & adjust the MASTER?

Any shared experiences would be helpful.

Thanks & this is my first real post.

JERE

SWR Super Redhead, Carvin Pro Bass 200

----------------

BASSES: Epi El Capitan Acoutsic, ESP-LTD B304, Warwick Thumb Bolt-On, Fender Jazz Fretless, Schecter Stilletto 8

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the Forum.

From what I have done, the actual power of the individual amps is irrelevant. All that you are doing is 'send'ing (or daisy chaining) the signal to anther amp so each amp works on its own. Each of the amps will colour the sound in its own way. How you adjust settings will depend on your personal preference, but any adjustments on the Master may appear on the Slave, depending where your send is in the signal chain.

You still need a cab on each amp.

It will depend really on what amps you are using. Tell us more...

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

It will depend really on what amps you are using. Tell us more...

As in my signature, Carvin Pro Bass 200 [160watt]& SWR Super Redhead [350 watt]. I've connected both with Carvin as main & slave. Doesn't seem to matter. But the power & sound is incredible. Since I've had these both for almost 8 years & just discovered this, why would I ever think of adding on extra speakers, as it stands I have 2x10's & 1x15 each now 2 tweeters.

One other question, for comparison purposes do I add the wattage together as an equivalent? In other words, together do I have a 510watt amp?

JERE

SWR Super Redhead, Carvin Pro Bass 200

----------------

BASSES: Epi El Capitan Acoutsic, ESP-LTD B304, Warwick Thumb Bolt-On, Fender Jazz Fretless, Schecter Stilletto 8

Looks good. So you have 2 combos. Carvin 200 with 15" and SWR with 2x10".

All I meant was that each amp needs its own speakers, you don't need to add any more. Using the Master doesn't actually make the Slave louder, what is happenng is that you are providing a 'hotter' signal to the slave. So it will be louder at a given volume setting than it would be if you just plugged in a bass.

You could call it 510watts if you want, but that doesn't really mean much. There's enough discussion here about Watts, SPL, dB, apparent sound levels etc, to fill several Encyclopedia Britanicas. If it sounds loud then it is.

Robb is our resident expert on amplifier design and I'm sure he'll chip in later.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived