Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AAARGH Who is that....?

Fumblyfingers

Okay I live in a quiet little suburb of LA in a little pocket of homes, a lot of silver hairs....nothing goes on here. The occasional party, music usually toned down by 11pm etc, some fireworks on the 4th etc....very quiet.

Well there is a band playing at a house who I don't know the people there and they are just phenomenal. They played SRV covers for a bit and now it is straight blues. It seems like more than one guitar player has gone up and they are all freaking amazing. Plus the mix is spot on and the band is tight, tight, tight and the guitar tones are just unbelievable. I have driven over there and walked over but the house is set in a bit and I can't see a thing.

It is driving me crazy....who are these guys?? They are way over the top good, they have to be somebody. At first I thought it might be BB Chung King but they are not into covers I don't think.

You have no idea how badly I want to go over there, '64 Strat in hand. LOL I thought I should put the 100W Marshall outside and just fire a few off see if I get invited over.....heh heh!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of levity would probably work well, such as:

Hi, I live down the street. Uh...I was trying to think of a way to mention the music I hear sometimes from this house but, well I can`t really think of anything so I`m just going to say it-you guys ROCK! can I come over sometime and jam?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yeah, I guess some things get awkward as one ages, eh?

When I was a teenager, if I was walking down the street and heard music I liked coming from somebody's house, I'd think nothing of knocking on their door and asking what record it was that they were playing. I also used to love hanging out in rehearsal rooms, sitting in an unobtrusive corner watching bands rehearse. Nobody ever minded.

But I'd feel funny about doing any of that nowadays.

Genre: Blues Rock (Blues Rock)

Hometown: Burbank, California

The Buddaheads have been together for two years with this line up.BB(ALAN MIRIKITANI)writes all the songs and arrangments,is the guitar and vox- Lee Spath,drums-Johnny Griparic bass. we own and operate our own recording studio which affords us to be very prolific with our music.good players,good song writing,good band.

Members

alan mirikitani: Lead Vocals (Guitar,Songwrit),

Johnny Griparic: Bass,

Lee Spath: Drums

It might be them Fumble! They are saying home town is Burbank but that's pretty close to you.

Just woke up....I will do a little reconnoiter a bit later. I am going to disguise myself as an older gentleman taking his daughter for a walk. I might add a stroller into the mix for more realism. I am going to get to the bottom of this.

Like I said, nothing ever happens in this neighborhood......... :D

...a quiet little suburb of LA in a little pocket of homes, a lot of silver hairs....nothing goes on here.

Are there REALLY places like that in LA...still? :D

Oh...I would dress up as a cop and go nock on the door and tell them the neighbors are complaining about the noise. ;)

Then when they get apologetic...say youre just foolin' with them and you really just wanted to know "WHO ARE YOU GUYS?!" :grin:

Better still...order up a couple of large pizzas...and then walk over there and act like you are delivering pizzas.

If they look puzzled...tell them they are free, as long they let tell you who they are...and/or maybe let you sit in. ;)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Fumble, try to find out the last name of the people living in that house and match to one of they guys names maybe?

Yeah that's the ticket....I could go to the records place and look up the address. There must be some public record of eveyone's house because all the real estate agents that send me unsolicited mail and have people put flyers on my door, sure seem to know a lot about my house and the financing thereof etc etc.

In all seriousness, I'd knock on the door, and say that you couldn't miss the fact that there was some top notch live music going on yesterday. "I used to do a lot of recording and touring, and it's been a while since I've heard live rock and roll played on that level of excellence."

I suspect you'll find a receptive response to that. Kindred spirits attract.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

You know the thing was last night....there were no bad notes, no screw ups from the band at all...none, nada.....it was almost too good. It was like listening to a live album. The only give away was the clarity of the volume and the periods between songs.

I swear every solo, every note was dead on and a solo never went on too long. It was a trio with vocals...which were very good but not great, so I'm thinking guitar player singing....that's not a slam........you know, the guitar player who plays better than he sings but is not a standalone full bore hot vocalist.

The gig went on and on, the repetoire was huge and they pulled every standard blues song out the book you can think of.

I'm thinking session muzo's.

Fact: There was no evidence of a party, no balloons, streamers etc.

Fact: There were more cars than usual parked around but not enough to be a full blown party, very controlled in size.

Fact: There were no people visible, you know teenagers hanging out outside smoking.

Fact: Not a lot of people noise from the rear of the house.

Fact: No heady smell of marijuana evident anywhere.

Fact: The musicianship was too good to be a young band.

Conclusion: It was someone's 50th birthday and his wife allowed him to get the old band together for just one night and have a few sober friends over.

I once realized how loud my guitar could be from outside one night when I walked out of the old house I used to rent and was greeted by a drunk guy. When he asked if I was the one who had just played and I replied a surprised yes, he hugged me and told me a loud (and smelly) I LOVE YOU MAN!!! He then proceeded to tell me he played a little bass but had just been replaced in the band he used to play with, could we get together some day to jam?

Whatever you do, don't take that guy's approach: it didn't work :) .

In all seriousness, I'd knock on the door, and say that you couldn't miss the fact that there was some top notch live music going on yesterday. "I used to do a lot of recording and touring, and it's been a while since I've heard live rock and roll played on that level of excellence."

I suspect you'll find a receptive response to that. Kindred spirits attract.

I'm for the direct approach as well.

LOL I won't take the bum approach.

Besides, this is Los Angeles. You just don't go knock on a neighbors door unless it's an emergency or you have their dog that escaped. Once we walk in that front door and close it we don't want to be bothered. The flyer posters are tolerated and service people, mail delivery, pizza, pest control, pool cleaner, yardner etc etc. But neighbors....no way I want them coming over..I pay good money for my privacy! :cool:

Besides, next thing you know they'll want to borrow my power tools! :D

What I should do wait until I see someone come out the house and then catch them before they get into their car ( another place we like to not be bothered in LA ) and say....

" I just wanted to point out that, on the 'four and' in bar 37 of the 123rd song you guys did, that should have been a Bb, not a B Natural. Other than that it was all good "

Fingers,

What area? I know a lot of musicians in the area that fit that senario.

The other thing, if they are Musicians, they will not be offended by you knocking on the door while they are jamming. I wouldn't.

We were jamming one night at a freinds in Topanga Canyon in his barn and before we knew it, there were at least 10 people there my friend and his wife had no idea who they were but they were more than welcomed. Older musicians grew up this way.

I could tell you stories of houses full of names that would kill you now but at the time, they were all kids crashing at whomever had a house.

Suck it up man and knock on the door! LOL

Peace

*LOL* If I found out some guy had been to the local council's records department to find out my name, that would creep me out to the nth degree, no matter WHO he was or WHAT he wanted. :P :grin:

Weird place, if you can't just knock on people's doors. Still, maybe you could leave something in their letterbox? Dunno... still sounds too out there. A bit like stalking.

Hey Fumbly....

Put you a nice suit on with a short sleeve shirt, tie, and black rimmed, Clark Kent glasses....and a Bible! Oh yeah, don't forget to ride over on a bike.

That may not get you in....but you could time their JWAS.... Jehova's Witness Alert System. :eek::thu: :grin:

Let us know how many seconds til lights out & amps off. :grin:

Randy

"Just play!"

Archived