Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for portable, under $800 Keyboard with features ->

[font:Times New Roman]Hi I'm new to this Forum and appreciate any suggestions that anyone can offer me.

I'm a pianist and I have a older Casio keyboard that is way out of date with my current needs.

I am looking for a portable, 88 key hammer action keyboard that has good quality sounds, but I'm mostly interested in the piano and organ sounds, along with good jazz and hopefully blues drumbeats. (I like the Hammond style organ sound) I would also like to have the 3 pedals to go along with it so I can preform the sustain sound with the organ that I can get with the Clavinova and some other larger sized digital pianos.

I also have a tight budget, so if you can recommend anything thats under a 1k I would be appreciated. I have a good quality bass amp to go with my keyboard so on board speakers are not required.

Also if it has a SD drive that would be a positive too. I need a full sized keyboard with these quality sounds so I can go solo for these gigs I play and preform better then I can with the restrictions that I have on my old Casio.

Thank you all for your time.[/font]

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your budget makes this a bit difficult -- most 'boards that sell for under $1k have either decent pianos OR decent organs, not both.

One thing that might work for you is an Alesis QS 8.1. You can find them used pretty easily. Others here will probably have other suggestions.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Dave, excellent call on the Alesis QS. In fact, a brand new QS8.2 can be gotten for less than a grand. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The new Casio Privias are good for piano, but not for organ.

Best bet is probably a used RD300, or (if you can stand 76 keys) Ensoniq ZR76 (when you can find them on ebay, they go for around $800).

Act within 6 hours and maybe get a great deal on this RD300 on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290101283210&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:us

I don't know whether the RD300 has the hammond sounds of the RD700. The piano is considerably weaker than the RD700, but it's playable. Better than the QS8.

What's an SD drive?

Alright thank you all for your help. A SD card is a Scan Disk, like the little disks that are used in digital cameras and such. Its a easy way to move information from keyboard -> computer

SD = Secure Digital. SanDisk does make them. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived