Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing Live No Amp

tedkar

I am looking for opinions on amp emulators. In addition, is a DI requried with it. My setup is basically a Digitech RP100 with no direct box and I plug into the 1/4" input of a Mackie 1604VLZ mixing board from the Digitech. I am planning to get rid of the RP100 for individual pedals - I need more control during a live show.

The type of music I play requires mostly a clean sound for chord strumming, but I do play some Jazz and rock leads (clean and distorted).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty against this, as it usally requires the guitar to be run through the monitors. (I even rn my acoustic guitar through a little amp on stage just to act as a monitor for me so I don't have to send it through the band monitors) The typical club band monitor rig is already usually stressed out to the max, and sending everything through all the monitors means that everything is leaking into every mic with the associated time delays, making mud out of most FOH mixes. I do like the idea when in ear monitors are used and there is no leakage into the mics from the monitor rig. Doesn't the RP100 have some cabinet emulation? The 200 does. If you are going to move to individual effect pedals, what about a simple box like the Sansamp?

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

While I agree nothing beats the rush of being in front of an amp playing your hear out, the direct in is OK for me.

The RP100 does have amp emulation, but I am not 100% happy with the sound and I wasn't sure if it was the product or because there is no direct box. I plan on checking out the Line6 product and the Sansamp. Thanks

Well, for me it is not a loud thing, it is a control thing, plus the aforementioned monitor/mains mic leakage issue. I do play with an amp all the time, but all of my amps are small/low powered. The current faves are the THD UniValve and the Reverend Goblin.... I've been using both for several years now. I just want to be able to hear myself, without blowing anyone else away. For the acoustic I set a Roland Cube 30 on it's back on the floor facing up. I can walk in and out of the field of the speaker as I need to, to hear myself over the rest of the band without my guitar having to be in the monitors. Just a different approach.

I got into the Goblin because I wanted an amp that I could carry anywhere. It is a little combo with a lot of classis amp sound emulations, but it weighs in at only 22 pounds. I can carry that, a guitar, and my bag of cords/pedals/etc all in one trip.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

For me (and the band) it is just a matter of carrying too much equipment. We own all the PA equipment and do our own sound (and yes we make it work!) I actually juggle playing guitar, midi, keyboard, and soundman - yes it gets confusing, but only when something goes wrong. In addition, we usually have limited time to set up, rarely with a sound check, so we try to keep the equipment as compact and as quick to setup as possible. The easiest thing for us to do was all go direct; guitar, bass, vox, bouzouki (greek instrument), keyboards and vdrums. In addition, the only mics are the two wireless leads and a few backup vox that are turned off except when needed.

As Lee said, we ran direct for years. As a matter of a fact, the band leader had a very strict "no amps" rule. We had one FOH mix and a separate monitor mix (that could be adjusted to suit each players needs). We were always told, that we had one of the best and clearest sounding FOH mixes, of all the touring bands. The band leader would mix all of the sound, from the stage. If you want to know any specifics about the set up, that I am unable to answer, I can email him and have a response within a day.

As for amp sims, the PodXTPro rack mount that Fumbly suggested is supposed to be fantastic. I've really grown quite fond of the Line6 stuff.

I use a POD XT Pro when playing solo at open mic nights for the same reasons you mention: extremely limited setup time and no sound check, portability issues (especially when only playing 2-3 tunes), etc.

I'm happy with the XT Pro but if you can live without the XLR outputs, I'd suggest the POD XT Live: it's the same thing as the XT Pro but in one unit (sound module and floor pedal all rolled into one). The XT Live would be even easier to carry and quicker to setup.

I've really grown quite fond of the Line6 stuff.

I never thought I would see somebody on this board admit this. :eek::thu:

My POD 2.3 is the best thing I've bought since my Rockman IIB or Guitar Synth. The Marshall JTM-45 emulation is just as good as my original head.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I know not many people mention this one as it's a cheapo, but I have a Digitech Genesis 1 and I just *love* many of the tones & simulations I can get out of it. I think it beats those in my Digitech GNX-1 hands down.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I carry an original SansAmp in my gig bag, just in case the worst happens.

Oh yeah, GuitarPlayerSoCa, now that you're JTM has been modeled to be obsolete, I'll take it off your hands!!!! Direct never!!!!!

Archived