Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NOOO: Stripped StrapLock Screw!

Professor Monkey

NOOO!

The screw for my straplock completely killed the threads in the guitar..

NOw it wont stay in.

I know of ways to fix it but is it safe to do it in a guitar?

Should I just buy some sort of rethreading putty and do that? Or will it kill teh sound..

or this: It seems to work well..

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenMaint/StrippedScrews/stripscrew1.html

:( Im gonna cry

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heck you don't even have to drill a new hole- just shove some toothpick parts in there, break them off flush, and go ahead and screw your straplock screw in there- I've been doing it for years, and here's the strange thing- I've never had to do it more than once on any guitar, seems to hold better than original.
"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

You guys are serious? This works? This isn't an April Fool's thread I'm replying too?

And here I was thinking I would have to buy some tools, or find a wood guy to fix my strap screw... Whew! I'm going to have to try this!

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Speaking of strap buttonsI have an issue specifically affecting my acoustics and semi-hollow electrics.

With the strap on and the guitar around my neckas I move the guitar about while playing, the leather end of the strap will cause a squeaking as it rubs around the strap button!!! :mad:

It only happens with the acoustics and semi-hollow electricsthe squeaking will resonate throughout the whole body. I placed extra fat felt washers between the button and bodybut still not completely dead.

Ive rubbed some mink oil on the leather and that worksbut eventually the leather will get dry again and probably start the squeak.

Really sucks when Im recordingso I end up taking the strap off and sitting downbut I really hate playing the big dreadnaught boxes sitting down, as its not comfortable under my arm.

Anyone found any permanent solutions?

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Speaking of strap buttonsI have an issue specifically affecting my acoustics and semi-hollow electrics.

With the strap on and the guitar around my neckas I move the guitar about while playing, the leather end of the strap will cause a squeaking as it rubs around the strap button!!! :mad:

It only happens with the acoustics and semi-hollow electricsthe squeaking will resonate throughout the whole body. I placed extra fat felt washers between the button and bodybut still not completely dead.

Ive rubbed some mink oil on the leather and that worksbut eventually the leather will get dry again and probably start the squeak.

Really sucks when Im recordingso I end up taking the strap off and sitting downbut I really hate playing the big dreadnaught boxes sitting down, as its not comfortable under my arm.

Anyone found any permanent solutions?

If you can sew, how about sewing a piece of material, cut to fit the offending spot, to the underside of the strap? That way it would be material that comes in contact with the guitar and leather, the rest of the way up.

• 2 weeks later...

What a coincidence that this showed up in a google search.

A couple of days ago, the jackplate on my cheapie bass got pulled out. Screws ripped right out of the basswood.

So, which one is the proper procedure:

1) stick ONE gluey toothpick into the hole, put the soaped-up screw in and rejoice (even if the screw hole is now a tad off center from before)

2) COMPLETELY FILL IN the hole with toothpicks and glue. Pack it in tight, let it set up overnight and redrill the hole.

Seems like 2 would have better results, but 1 is much easier. I might even get some of those flat toothpicks and put three of them in (all spaced evenly) to center the screws.

sound feasible?

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Forget toothpicks and go buy a skinny dowel rod. Drill the hole out to just a little smaller than the dowel, put glue on the dowel rod to lube it up a bit and force it into the hole(you might want to whittle a short taper on the front end of the dowel to get it to go in), cut it off level with the surface of the guitar, and drill a small pilot hole for the screw. install the jack plate, and job over.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived