Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

tubescreamer

Derrick1642607670

Hey I just bought a ts9 yesterday and I am very very happy with its great sound but anyhoo the orignal reason I was buying was because I needed a boost/overdrive, I got the overdrive but I can only get a boost on a clean channel, whenever Im on the crunch channel on my amp I can never get a noticeable boost is there something im doing wrong? or is this how tubescreamers function? thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boost is only the difference between your rhythm setting and your solo channel settings! that is the ONLY difference! Set your gain on the TS to be louder on lead work than it is on your rhythm channel. You don't have the TS on ALL THE TIME DO YOU? ..Anyway even if you do, learn to roll up your volume ON THE GUITAR..for solo's and roll it back for your normal rhythm parts.

Thats what I mean, The gain is set up yet im not hearing a difference, and no I only turn it on when I need a a lead part to stick out. Or maybe im not just understanding you right are you telling me to turn up the gain on the amp and turn down on the guitar and turn up when needed or the same deal except with the gain on the pedal?

nvm problems solved i guess

Yes Derrick, that's pretty much correct. If you think of it as a passing gear on a car..most guys I know and me included set up in the following way. You decide where your amp setting should be in the entire band mix, on your support parts, your rhythm setting, they use the 2/3's 1/3 rule of thumb... your lead gain should be approximately 1/3 louder than the rest of the band. If you use a boost peddle to accomplish this fine, I like to roll my guitar volume down to the 2/3 level and roll it up to open for my 1/3 boost. My amp setting on the Marshall set at it's highest output is set to the boost or lead volume and is rolled back on the guitar for support parts.

Yeah.. I wonder how the Klon makes the classic channel sound. When I played the CC yesterday... it was kind of brittle. Maybe I didn't give it enough gain though to make it more rich.

That JCM head I played through last night was nice though.. except the clean state (on the classic channel) seemed a little weak.

But hell.. who wants to play a Marshall clean, right? LOL!

Not sure if you have your problem solved, but if you want a simple boost (in volume, without changing much tone), turn the drive on the TS9 to 0 and turn its level up, that's what i would do anyway.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Hey I just bought a ts9 yesterday and I am very very happy with its great sound but anyhoo the orignal reason I was buying was because I needed a boost/overdrive, I got the overdrive but I can only get a boost on a clean channel, whenever Im on the crunch channel on my amp I can never get a noticeable boost is there something im doing wrong? or is this how tubescreamers function? thanks

On a tube amp, using a boost on a rather clean amp setting will boost the overall volume. Using a boost on a distorted setting will mostly add sustain and gain without significantly adding to the overall volume.

It is the same as with a classic non-master volume amp: you reach the full volume around 3-4, turning it up more adds gain and crunch (but not volume).

On a tube amp, using a boost on a rather clean amp setting will boost the overall volume. Using a boost on a distorted setting will mostly add sustain and gain without significantly adding to the overall volume.

It is the same as with a classic non-master volume amp: you reach the full volume around 3-4, turning it up more adds gain and crunch (but not volume).

Yes. What the Tube Screamer really excels at is adding sustain and a little tone shaping to an already driving tube amp. The best result I've ever had is with a little Fender Champ amplifier, turned up loud, and a Tube Screamer pushing the input.

Not sure if you have your problem solved, but if you want a simple boost (in volume, without changing much tone), turn the drive on the TS9 to 0 and turn its level up, that's what i would do anyway.

thats what im doing with my clean channel on my amp its just kindve hard to navigate elsewhere since my tube isnt all-tube, but however it turns out is fine I just bought it on friday and I told steve (my friend who sold it to me) that I might return it within the next week if it doesn't work out so well with my amp because I had been playing it through a hotrod deville at the store which convinced me to buy it but I had heard many horror stories with SS and SS hybrid involved with tube screamers which he said he was cool with. But hey, free tube screamer for a weekend! :)

Yes. What the Tube Screamer really excels at is adding sustain and a little tone shaping to an already driving tube amp. The best result I've ever had is with a little Fender Champ amplifier, turned up loud, and a Tube Screamer pushing the input.

Great suggestions, Bill and Rhino. I have several Tube Screamers, and a Champ or three :grin:, but never tried that. I will now!!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Exactly right! classic channel and KLON totally now!

Hey Ellwood.....still waiting on my Klon. It MUST be getting close to when I'll get it. I'm really looking forward to checking it out. I'm going to post about it, and will compare it to my current favorite OD pedal, the Fulltone OCD.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Archived