Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should I buy this piece of *&^%$#@!

I am trying to find 1" analog recorder to add to my DAW studio, A friend of mine is selling an MS16 for an old lady who has re-po'd it from her X-boy friend.She paid 7k for it 15 tears ago. I offered her $1200.00 but asked if I could go over it first,to make sure everything was working. I powered it up,transport and locator work perfectly,but the damn thing wouldn't pass a signal,record or play back.My fiend left it with me and asked me to see if I could find the problem? I traced the problem back to a transistor,on the power supply PCB.I replaced it and now it records and plays back! The problem is,now it won't monitor the sync/record head? She still wants $1200.00 for the machine?!I think this is unreasonable due to the current circumstances!But,this machine has very low( I think it has less than 200 hours and 3 tapes) ,but hard(I went through ten Q tips cleaning the tape path,uuhgg!!)hours on it? I could use it for a cool delay?!! Rick

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love to have it. It'd be worth it to send it to a good tech to bring it back to original specs. Nothing like tracking analog, then transfering to digital land.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Does it have the DBX units? If it does make sure the units are hooked up and working. If not there are loopthrough connectors that need to go into the DBX ports on the back of the amp section. I own one and almost had palpitations when I forgot the loopthroughs. $1200 is a good price for this machine, especially if it has DBX and the locator. The AQ-65 locater is hard to find and expensive. Not a bad sounding machine when properly aligned and the transport is pretty reliable. I run mine @15 ips with 456 and no NR. Some newer ones could run @ 30 ips and I think modding the 15 ips to 30 is pretty simple. At 30 these machines sound pretty clean. If you want decent inexpensive analog to add to your studio this is a good choice. This message has been edited by Yuri T. on 08-01-2001 at 12:55 PM

Yeah it's got the DBX units,but no remote. I could still use it for a transfer from d/a and back as it is right now. As for the transport,it seems a little sluggish on take off,but this tape is original stock that is as old as the machine.So it is getting a little sticky. I've tried operating the unit with the DBX by-pass jumpers installed,same thing happens. I'll talk to my buddy again and see if she wants to pay for a repair. If it's working properly,I'll pay $1200.00,like I agreed. If not,I guess I just did an old lady a nice favor. I've been reading posts ,and trying to get some feedback from the Tascam users forum.It would seem that the pinch rollers and the rubber idler are original stock from the last run of production. One user is pretty pissed off!!The roller he bought turned to goop soon after installation.The warranty was something like 6 months.Tascam won't give him a new pinch roller.The dude didn't install it right away,and the time elapsed was 10 months,not an acceptable life span anyway. The Tascam dude came online to try and put out the fire. Needless to say ,he basicaly accused the guy of mistreating the rubber. He said that distilled water will cause rubber to break-down??! And that he should only use "Tascam Rubber Cleaner".I don't Know about that,I've been using tap water on my TEAC 25-2,and it's pinch-roller may be a little dry,but at least it's not sticky or glased.This thing is ancient.

So you get no output from the sync head on any channels? Obviously make sure you're not in input mode anywhere. Since it does record on that head the problem must be elsewhere. Could possibly be a relay, I understand there are sticky relay problems with that deck. I suppose sitting for a long time unused could exacerbate that problem. I don't have my schemeatic in front of me so that's all I can come up with. Otherwise remove the hex screws on the front of the amp (meter faceplate). That meter plate then puls out angling up from the bottom to reveal the cards. Carefully pull and clean the board and backplane contacts. This might help.

I think you could do better by watching e-bay...I just went out and checked for you, and this is not my ad, but just as an example, there is a perfectly clean Tascam MS-16 with dbx with the bidding at about $2000. I also saw a number of nice Otari 8 track units out there. $1200 is still a lot of change for "maybe" Cheers, Amad

yuri, I don't think the problem is with the repro/record cards,that would give me individual channel problems.This problem is on all channels,for all the relays to be sticky would be rather unusual.I do not recommend cleaning the cards with anything other than compressed air.Once I cleaned cards with an alchohol based electronic cleaner,and all of the shellac got into the sockets.Ouch!! This machine has had a problem,that was supposed to have been repaired by a "qualified technician".I had no audio at first because a transistor on the power supply pcb was,a)A mismatched part & b)the cicuit board,it self,was heat damaged at a solder point,and I ddn't have continuity on one pin.I don't think this machine even been checked for proper operation after it,supposedly,had been repaired.I don't even know if the original owner tried to record on it,after it's repair.Although the current problem does not appear to be related to the same circuit,(with transistor;Q2,on the power supply pcb,fig.9-14)The circuit that controls the function lights for the input/sync/repro on the function pcb,(fig.9-9)comes from the D14 diode,on the power supply pcb,also controls the function switches. I think I am going to replace that diode as a first measure,though it couldn't have been shorted due to condensation,because,I believe it is not isolated! I appreciate your expertise and experience with this machine ,so please correct me if I'm wrong,because I have no formal background in electronics. Thanks, Rick

Archived