Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite Led Zeppelin song?

superdave

For me it's always been "What Is and What Should Never Be" from Led Zeppelin II -- a brilliant job of arranging dynamics, fantastic guitar parts, great vocal, great feel... just magic. (This is coming from a Led Zep non-admirer... I never really liked them too much, thought they were basically bombastic and silly and Page was a sloppy guitarist who couldn't hold a candle compared to his Yardbirdmates Beck and Clapton... but I have to admit he was a brilliant guitarist/producer along the lines of Lowell George and I've always thought this song in particular a perfect realization of that side of him, it just slays me...)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Fool In The Rain" is one of my all time favourite songs, "Black Dog" and "Heartbreaker" are way up there too...a tad harder than my first pick. ;)

I've got some Jimmy Page solo stuff that's rates pretty darn high as well, "No Introduction Necessary [Deluxe Edition]", plus some work he did with Clapton and Sonny Boy Williamson. Amazing stuff!

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Last night, as I walked toward the door from the parking lot to the rehearsal studio, I heard the beginning of "The Song Remains the Same" and said whoa.... whoever's playing that tune in the studio has got it dead nuts right!

Then I realized it was just a guy in the parking lot playing a CD in his van. LOL!

When Mom got married last summer, I got a lot of say in wedding music, so I made a mix cd for before the ceremony with "All My Love". That went over like a led zeppelin. ;)

www.myspace.com/donahelena

Support bored teenage ghost hunters. www.myspace.com/rock_paranormal

Houses of the Holy is good, but there's one part where I can't tell what he's saying and I'm not sure I wanna know...

Nothing wrong that I can see...

Let me take you to the movies. can I take you to the show

Let me be yours ever truly. can I make your garden grow

From the houses of the holy, we can watch the white doves go

From the door comes satan's daughter, and it only goes to show. you know.

There's an angel on my shoulder, in my hand a sword of gold

Let me wander in your garden. and the seeds of love Ill sow. you know.

So the world is spinning faster. are you dizzy when you're stoned

Let the music be your master. will you heed the masters call

Oh... Satan and man.

Said there ain't no use in crying. cause it will only, only drive you mad

Does it hurt to hear them lying? was this the only world you had? oh-oh

So let me take you, take you to the movie. can I take you, baby, to the show.

Why don't you let me be yours ever truly. can I make your garden grow

You know.

Last night, as I walked toward the door from the parking lot to the rehearsal studio, I heard the beginning of "The Song Remains the Same" and said whoa.... whoever's playing that tune in the studio has got it dead nuts right!

Then I realized it was just a guy in the parking lot playing a CD in his van. LOL!

OR>>>> maybe it WAS PAGE, in that van, jammin' in the back!

OR>>>> maybe it WAS PAGE, in that van, jammin' in the back!

I think it was just some dude smoking a joint before his own rehearsal. LOL!

Down By The Seaside, Song Remains the Same, In the Light, Hots on For Nowhere, STH, The Crunge, GTBT, Commmunication Breakdown....it's very hard! Somebody said to me today that all their songs sound the same. I think I punched her. It was all an angry blur. :eek: Geez, somebody bring my smiley back! I'm dyin' here!

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Dude, those sound nothing alike! Wait... that was the idea, wasn't it? Heh heh, I knew that...

Okay, "Houses of the Holy" makes more sense now... to some extent. Thanks!

"Fool in the Rain" is also one of my all time favorite songs. I'd probably go with "The Rover" if I had to pick a number 2.

The nice thing is with the .mp3 players of today I literally carry ALL the Zep tunes with me wherever I go. Gonna listen to some tonight!

James?! How the heck are you? I haven't seen you around in a long time! Are you going to be hanging out for a while?

Down By The Seaside, Song Remains the Same, In the Light, Hots on For Nowhere, STH, The Crunge, GTBT, Commmunication Breakdown....it's very hard! Somebody said to me today that all their songs sound the same. I think I punched her. It was all an angry blur. :eek: Geez, somebody bring my smiley back! I'm dyin' here!

:D Good to see you around, Maisie. Going to music camp again this summer? (Yeah, I know... with the weather as it is in your neck of the woods probably the last thing you're thinking about is summer. :D )

James, great to see you posting again, too! Now all we need is to get Caevan back in the fold and the Les Paul junkies will be complete! (And the rest of you know who you are! :P )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Welcome back, James!

As for old Led Zep, the first song that sprung to mind was "Ramble On" so I guess I'll go with that - but its kind of like asking for your favorite Beatles or Stones song - the wealth of great material makes it impossible to get it down to just one song.

John

:D Good to see you around, Maisie. Going to music camp again this summer? (Yeah, I know... with the weather as it is in your neck of the woods probably the last thing you're thinking about is summer. :D )

Oh I HATE New England. Not really, just the weather. Sure am going to camp, the best one in the world but if I get into Victor Wooten's bass camp, there's a conflict on the most important day of my other camp's 1st session. Anyway, back on subject....

I'm learning most of Zep's studio stuff on my bass and some on guitar (not much with the guitar so far but you know...) and I rediscovered how much I LOVE Ramble On! Everything fits together so nicely and the bass is so wonderfully syncopated!

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

I like that song off Physical Graffitti '10 years gone'

Killer Page solo too

OOOH yeah I love that song, forgot. It makes me cry though!

I like that song off Physical Graffitti '10 years gone'

Killer Page solo too

Oh yeah!! :rawk:

"Sick Again" is another favorite from Physical Graffiti.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

The Led Zeppelin DVD that was released a couple of years ago has some extremely cool live stuff from the beginnings of the band to the end, including some very early TV appearances and some outtakes from the movie "Song Remains the Same". If you are a Zeppelin fan, you should own this, its really good.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Archived