Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The POWERED SPEAKERS Thread

Jazz+

CliffK, I don't know enough about balanced v unbalanced cables to answer your question. All I know is I have a Mackie 1402 VLZ pro mixer and a Peavey PV10 USB mixer and have tried both with the EONs. I get hiss out of both mixers that is a higher level than I get from the KC500 or KC300 I have. From Both mixers I run XLR cables to the EONs I just equate it to a more powerful horn and amp situation. You don't hear it when the piano comes blasting out of these babies.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EON's will audibly tell you about the quality of the power you're using. That hiss is just part of the game. Make sure you have your gain structure set up optimally to ensure that you can get the hiss as low as possible.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Thanks Jim, I'll look into it a bit more. Yeah, compared to the relative harshness of the KC's highs, the G2s are meaty and warm. My Electro Rhodes and clav sound like new animals altogether, and even that quirky Nord piano sounds baaaad in powered speaker stereo!

EON's will audibly tell you about the quality of the power you're using. That hiss is just part of the game.

I'm sure you're right.

Make sure you have your gain structure set up optimally to ensure that you can get the hiss as low as possible.

I usually put the volume level of my board relatively high and keep the amp levels lower. Does this sound right, or should it be the other way round?

I run my levels the same Cliffk. I am using a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro and really have been able to cut the volume of the speakers back considerably which is working nicely. Now I need to do some cord repair ... it seems I have 3 bad XLR cables. Argh

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

POWERED SPEAKERS:

EV SXa360

12 " LF driver woofer

2" HF driver

60hz-18khz at -10db

350 watt RMS LF power amplifier

150 watt RMS HF power amplifier

126 spl

129 dB maximum output capability

23.1" x 16.9" x 12.3"

36 lbs.

$897

Where did you find this price? All online shops list this speaker at $1100+

... My Electro Rhodes and clav sound like new animals altogether, and even that quirky Nord piano sounds baaaad in powered speaker stereo!

I really hope you man "bad" in a good way, as my last hope for reasonable acpiano out of my electro was to go powered cab stereo.

Jon

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

• 2 weeks later...

http://jblpro.com/products/portablesound/prx/images/PRX512M_Large.jpg

JBL PRX512M

Dual angle enclosure for both front-of-house and floor monitor applications

Optimized EQ for monitor or front-ofhouse applications

JBL Differential Drive® woofer

1.5" annual polymer diaphragm compression driver

Class-D, Crown® digital amplifier: lightweight, compact, multi channel,heritage

DSP input section, crossover, dynamic limiting, component optimization, selectable system EQ

Professional XLR line and ¼" Mic/Instrument inputs, with loop through.

Illuminated logo for clear Power-On status

Dual angle pole mount socket

DuraFlex coated plywood construction

Frequency Range: 46 Hz 20 kHz

Frequency Response: 76 Hz 20 kHz

Power Capacity: 500 W continuous, 1000 W peak

Rated Maximum SPL: 133 dB SPL peak

Dimensions (H x W x D): 650 mm x 380 mm x 350 mm (25.5 in x 15 in x 14 in)

Weight: 18 kg (40 lb)

I used these last night w/ an r&b-fusion type band.....they sounded very smooth and clear!! The band was playing quite loud....actually TOO LOUD for this guy's ears.

My S90 sounded great....even it's lame piano sounded pretty decent.

I would think this is a step up from the Eon's. They definitely blow my Mackie 450's out of the water.

I would like to hear my P120 or another stage dp ( CP300, 33, Roland FP7) through these at a lower volume.

Those of you in the market for powered spkrs. should check these guys out. I think they're somewhat new. Price wise, I believe they are in the EV SXA 360 range.....around $1350/per list....Not cheap!

First impression.....Thumbs up!

... My Electro Rhodes and clav sound like new animals altogether, and even that quirky Nord piano sounds baaaad in powered speaker stereo!

I really hope you man "bad" in a good way, as my last hope for reasonable acpiano out of my electro was to go powered cab stereo.

Jon

Yeah I do :cool:. Guess what term London teens now use to mean 'cool'? They say safe! What next, I wonder...

I managed to find an ElectroVoice SXA 360 for under $1000 after all... At good ol' Chuck Levin's.. :)

As promised, our vocalist's issues were fixed by this upgrade from my my current keyboard amp - the Roland KC-350. Part of it admittedly is she's now plugging her mic into a mixer that has an actual mic preamp built-in. It's a cheap mixer, but any mic preamp is better than none, right?

The original plan was to keep the KC for stereo imaging. Then my #$%$#% bass amp head broke down. Rather than let my Epifani bass cab go to waste, I'm going to get a QSC power amp. Then our singer/bassist can plug via DI box into the mixer and I can pan her bass signal to the QSC/Epifani side of the system.

Not sure if these are available in the States but for the Europeans on here, HK Audio.

http://www.hkaudio.com/images/products/fast_up_050923015827.jpg

F.A.S.T - F.A.S.T - System

Frequency response 75 Hz - 19 kHz +/- 3 dB

Frequency response 65 Hz - 19 kHz -10 dB

Axial sensitivity 1W/1m* 103 dB

Maximum SPL @ 1m* 120 dB @ 10% THD

Low/mid driver 1x 12"

HF driver 1" CD Horn

Directivity 60° x 40°

HF protection (passive) Dynamic protection circuitry

Connectors 1x XLR-1/4" combo jack,Line In balanced

Connectors 1x XLR Through balanced

Connectors 1x XLR Mic In balanced

Power handling capacity 200 W RMS

Pole mount collar 36 mm

Weight 23 kg / 50.6lbs.

Dimensions (WxHxD): 36 x 54 x 37 cm

Dimensions (WxHxD): 14" x 21 1/4" x 3 1/2"

Also a floor monitor style speaker called D.A.R.T

http://www.hkaudio.com/images/products/dart050923015433.jpg

D.A.R.T - D.A.R.T. - Monitor

Frequency response 80 Hz - 19 kHz +/- 3 dB

Axial sensitivity 1W/1m* 105 dB

Maximum SPL @ 1m* 123 dB @ 10% THD

Bass power amp 1x 250 W RMS

Mid/high power amp 1x 60 W RMS

Active protection circuitry Multi-band -limiter

Low/mid driver 1x 12" HK Audio Custom

HF horn/driver 1"

Directivity 60° x 40° CD horn

Crossover frequency 2 kHz; 24 dB per octave, passive

HF protection (passive) Dynamic protection circuitry

Speaker stand mounting collar DuoTilt, 36 mm

Connectors 1x XLR Mic In

Weight 19.8 kg / 43.6 lbs.

Dimensions (WxHxD): 56.1 cm x 40.5 cm x 34 cm

Dimensions (WxHxD): 22" x 15 7/8" x 13 3/8"

I've seen some HK audio stuff at my local dealer so i'll try and demo them & report back.

I've never seen them in Ca. ......they look really nice!

Are those passive though ?

It seems a lot of people (read OLDER)on this thread, w/ me at the front of the line, consider 40 lbs. the high cutoff point.....ideal being an active spkr. at or under 35 lbs.

Lately I've been playing mainly instrumental gigs and have been using either the Roland SA300 or Motion Sound KP-100s. They are lightweight and compact and I thought sounded pretty good. Last night we played a new club and we brought in a singer. Begrudgingly, I brought my small PA: JBL SRX-712Ms with QSC amp. My god what an improvement over the Roland/Motion Sound. The Roland Superior Grand sounded as good as I've heard a digital piano sound. The club had decent acoustics which helped. So it looks like I'm back to bringing the JBLs on a regular basis.

I have to say I prefer the unpowered speakers. The SRX712Ms are 33 lbs each with the QSC amp at 13 lbs. It's a wash between these and equivalent powered speakers in terms of weight. My setup is extremely simple. I have speakon connectors on the rear of my rack so I connections are very quick and easy. I don't like having to deal with running both audio and AC to the powered speakers. Sometimes I spread out the speakers quite a bit and it can be a PITA.

Busch.

Hey Dave, yeah they look quite sleek when you see them in the shops aswell. They are active unless i've completely misread the webpage.

re the weight, I have to admit I didn't look at that, they are pretty heavy aren't they. Hmm, back to the search for the holy grail of powered speakers.

Speaking of QSC, they have a relatively new entry in the portable powered speaker market, the HPR-122i. I've been working with a pair for some time now, and they sound huge. Not just loud (which they can do just fine), but BIG - it's as though they can fill an area without you having to turn them up to the point where they get honky or piercing. MSRP on these is $899 each, and the one drawback I've found is that they ain't lightweight- they're 60 lbs each. But man, whatta sound.

Mfgr page: http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/hpr/hpr122i.htm

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Looking at some of the powered speakers in this thread, it really makes me wonder why more of the manufacturers didn't follow JBL's lead by offering a couple of channels of 1/4" input and some EQ facility on board. The omission of those things makes their products worthless to me.

I go direct to the EV SXa360 speakers without any problems. If I need to share them I bring my little Mackie vlz 1202 mixer.

Find 600 of my jazz piano arrangements and tutorials for educational purposes at patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Thing is, I don't want to carry a mixer, I want simplicity. With the JBL I have two 1/4" ins, EQ if needed, and a direct out. I know setting up a mixer isn't that big of a deal, until you're hitting festivals and such. Less is more.

I prefer wood over plastic, so I'd like to mention KME FM 1122 AE - they have very good reputation in Germany. A friend bought them 5 years ago - they're rock solid and very reliable.

Components: 12" + 3/4" CD horn

Horn design: 3/4

Dispersion (h x v): 40°x 90°

Frequency range: 50 Hz - 20 kHz

SPL (max.) dB: 121

Amplifier: class AB

Power output RMS (watts): 150

Protective circuits: short circuit, over loading, over temperature

Connectors: line-in combi socket XLR/jack, 1 x cinch l/r, line-out XLR, speaker-out Speakon NL 4 Neutrik

Power requirements: IEC, 230 V 50 Hz

Finish: PU coating grey / needle-felt anthracite

Special features: rear-mounted strap handle, high stand flange

Protective grille: perforated steel with black acoustic foam

Dimensions (W x H x D) mm: 520 x 420 x 380

Weight (kg): 16

Design: stage monitor / top unit / full-range

http://www.thomann.de/prodbilder/kme_fm1122ae_fidelity_lack_pimx_156708.jpg

http://www.kme-sound.de/isroot/kme/Files/Anschlussfeld/1-131-H3-144.JPG

Find more info on http://www.kme-sound.de/cgi-bin/kme.shop/4641d179025e416e273f50f3360b063e/Product/View/1&2D131&2D005

I got a pair of them for my stage piano. They are blown out atm, got them for a very special price (333EUR each vs. list price of 590EUR).

Hello everyone. Instead of creating a new thread I thought I'd pose my question here...

I'm a beginner when it comes to the electronics of keyboards and I am just learning how to play as well. I am looking into purchasing a good quality electronic keyboard workstation, since right now I have a Wal-mart 50 dollar one. My question is this:

I'm worried about sound... my current crap keyboard has visible speakers that I use, but does a keyboard like the M-Audio Keystaion Pro88 have built in sound or do I have to spend an additional amount to buy speakers just so I can use it in my home?

Thank you.

mech4:

Most pro keyboards do not have built in speakers. However, the Pro88 is only a midi controller, so not only does it have no speakers, it has no internal sounds either.

It is designed to control external sound sources, either software instruments on the computer or external midi modules.

Moe

---

I have mucho experience with three powered speakers. Mackie SRM450, JBL Eon15 G2, and Yorkville NX550P. Of the three, I like the Yorkvilles the best.

The Mackies are very harsh in the upper end. There's a big gaping hole in the mids as well. The Eons are more balanced, less high-end screechy, but are bulky, have power issues, and I don't like how they are designed to be "monitors" (sitting upright).

The Yorkville is my favorite because it sounds really good, is very lightweight, has a great mixer section, and is real solid (can take a beating). I need to pick up another. I have two and most times I'm using just one for a monitor, but sometimes I need to use both for a small PA (with a Yorkville powered sub) and then I'm left without a monitor.

When we need our own PA with Root Doctor, we tend to use the EONs as FOH with two Yorkville subs, and the Yorkvilles and Mackies as monitors. All the band members agree that the Yorkvilles sound better (they also usually don't need much EQ for feedback issues, whereas the Mackies need a lot of tuning).

My two cents...

• 2 weeks later...

Tannoy do some dual concentric powered stage monitors. They look heavy and expensive but I thought i'd post just in case anyones interested. The dual concentric design (the tweeter is located in the middle of the woofer for a centralised sound source) could be quite valuable in a stage situation. They don't have alot in the way of features though.

Tannoy PowerV series

Thanks +....yea, I'd bet they sound great.......good luck to me trying to find a pair to demo here in town. I can't even find those EV360's to check out...you'd think in a city as large as this, it wouldn't be a problem. If it's not mainstream...JBL or Mackie.....GOOD LUCK!!!!

• 1 month later...
EON's will audibly tell you about the quality of the power you're using. That hiss is just part of the game.

I'm sure you're right.

Make sure you have your gain structure set up optimally to ensure that you can get the hiss as low as possible.

I usually put the volume level of my board relatively high and keep the amp levels lower. Does this sound right, or should it be the other way round?

Doesn't that config risk overdriving/distorting/clipping the input of the amp? I've just been reading a powered spkr brochure which suggests turning the amp's master up high then raising the input signal on the instrument until sufficient volume is achieved.

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

You obviously don't want to clip at input, but you want to get as much signal as possible going in before you amplify it so that you can lower the noise floor as much as possible. Cranking the amp and then tweaking the volume from the keyboard will mean that you'll be putting the noise floor front and center, raising it beyond what's necessary.

Archived