Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Australians, questions for you.

JonathanD

- Australians, questions for you.

3 questions.ok More than 3.

#1. How big is Silverchair in Australia? Someone tried to tell me that they were as big as the Beatles are here in regards to most people owning at least one of their CDs and women fainting when they play etc.etc.etc I dont dislike them, but I dont see people liking them that much.

#2. I have heard the music scene there is great; lots of people really enjoying going to see musicians play, people being open to many types of music, and more venues per band that treat musicians well. This may be the grass is always greener on the other side syndrome, that why I am asking.

#3. For a few reasons I have thought of moving to Australia recently. I think we are going to go on our honeymoon there and wandered if you could give me some pointers on what would be a good time, allow us to explore the land, the ocean, and the culture even though we are decently poor college students. Anything else I should take into consideration?

OK I lied, more that 3 questions

Also, what is the weather like in October?

How hard would it be to move there permanently with a college degree?

Do you know of any good art schools(painting, sculpting etc with preferably very surrealistic overtones). I am hoping Summer(my soon to be owner, I mean bride) can go to school somewhere over there.

Thank you for your time,

Jonathan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
#1. How big is Silverchair in Australia? Someone tried to tell me that they were as big as the Beatles are here in regards to most people owning at least one of their CDs and women fainting when they play etc.etc.etc I dont dislike them, but I dont see people liking them that much.

Not really all that big. I mean, I guess they're big - I've certainly heard of them - but I couldn't tell you any of their songs. In relation to your Beatles comparison, I don't own any Silverchair CD's, but I do own the complete Beatles collection on CD. My age is 33.

#2. I have heard the music scene there is great; lots of people really enjoying going to see musicians play, people being open to many types of music, and more venues per band that treat musicians well. This may be the grass is always greener on the other side syndrome, that why I am asking.

The music scene here is pretty good in Melbourne. Lots of good local bands to see in a variety of genres. Not so many venues treat musicians "well" in my opinion though. Lots of them may be willing to let you play there, but fewer are willing to pay. Many think they're being generous if they allow to to have a friend on the door collecting a cover charge. I'm not sure what the music scene is like where you live, but there may be a little "grass is greener" syndrome in effect here.

#3. For a few reasons I have thought of moving to Australia recently. I think we are going to go on our honeymoon there and wandered if you could give me some pointers on what would be a good time, allow us to explore the land, the ocean, and the culture even though we are decently poor college students. Anything else I should take into consideration?

It's a great place. You should come and check it out. Up north it can be hot and wet in summer. Down south it's hot and dry in summer. In winter it's warm and dry in the north, down south it's cold and wet in winter. In the centre of Australia, it's hot and dry all the time. :D Early Autumn (now) it's very nice in Melbourne :D

OK I lied, more that 3 questions

Also, what is the weather like in October?

In October, it's mid-spring in Australia. Very nice time of year mostly. Can have a little rain in the south, and likely to be still pretty cold in Tasmania (Actually, it's almost always cold in Tasmania - although it's a lovely place).

How hard would it be to move there permanently with a college degree?

EDIT: I'm not really up to speed with this one, but the Department of Immigration website might have some handy information. http://www.immi.gov.au/

Do you know of any good art schools(painting, sculpting etc with preferably very surrealistic overtones). I am hoping Summer(my soon to be owner, I mean bride) can go to school somewhere over there.

Where I live, the premier arts school is the Victorian College of the Arts. Their website is: http://www.vca.unimelb.edu.au/

Thank you for your time,

Jonathan

No trouble :thu:

Obviously, I am not an Australian, but I visited there once and loved the place. (and found it hard to leave).

I got the impression that it was not easy to move to Australia....you have to have a job first or own property first before they let you stay longer than a visitor visa lets you.

I'm sure some more Ozzies will chime in.

Say it ain't so, Thorpie!

I got the impression that it was not easy to move to Australia....you have to have a job first or own property first before the let you stay longer than a visitor visa lets you.

That is very extremely true.

I got the impression that it was not easy to move to Australia....you have to have a job first or own property first before the let you stay longer than a visitor visa lets you.

That is very extremely true.

Yep. The borders here are tighter than a ... very tight thing. I got in because my Australian employer sponsored my visa. Even then, it was one hell of a process.

Keep in mind that the cost of living is high (e.g. in the past year or two, we've seen fuel prices as high as about $4.50/gallon US), and especially when it comes to real estate. To give you an idea: I live on the fringe of the outskirts of the outskirts of Melbourne, about 35 miles (= 55 km, 75 minute train ride) from the city center. (There is one highway from where I am to everywhere else, so you can imagine how easy it is to get around. Plus, public transport gets exponentially less convenient the farther out from the center you are. I'm very lucky that I can work from home.) Even where I am, a quarter-million US will buy you a very small 2-3 bedroom house on a lot that is only slightly larger than the house itself, & you may not be able to see any daylight between your house & your neighbors (not an exaggeration, actually). It's a great market for real estate investors & a nightmare for everyone else; the very rich are therefore very big supporters of John Howard & he seems likely to remain in office for a very long time. The food banks now report that some of their most regular patrons are actually homeowners. My understanding is that Sydney is even more expensive. Prices have also been rising in Perth & Adelaide.

Don't get me wrong. The place is every bit as great as it's cracked up to be--greater, actually, I think. It has tons to offer, no matter what you're looking for, & the people are great. But IMO it's difficult to live here.

To follow on from DCR I think that the rental markets in Melbourne and Canbera are the easiest to get into. There have been unoffical rent "auctions" in Sydney for a while -- various prospective tennants bid above the asking price on desiable (close to uni) locations. Perth and Brisbane are in the midst of mining/oil booms (people live there and fly out to the mines for a couple of weeks work). realestate.com.au lists many of the properties available in Australia.

If you are just looking for an antipodian adventure then NZ is a whole lot cheaper and (I think) a better place for music -- generally less materialistic.

What type of degree do you have? Any type of engineering is in short supply (mining and oil again).

"But man it sounds soooooooo much better flat. I can't believe how much better it sounds." -- thabottomend

Even where I am, a quarter-million US will buy you a very small 2-3 bedroom house on a lot that is only slightly larger than the house itself, & you may not be able to see any daylight between your house & your neighbors[/Quote]

That doesn't seem so bad. My California house is two bedrooms, one bath with a driveway separating it from next door and would cost more than twice that.

My son's condo in Seattle is one bedroom in a five story building and cost a quarter million.

I do know that the price of automobiles in Australia is considerably higher than in the U.S. I would assume that the taxes are a lot higher too.

I'd still like to live there, but that's only a pipe-dream. California suits me fine. I don't even mind the earthquakes.

My California house is two bedrooms, one bath with a driveway separating it from next door and would cost more than twice that.

My son's condo in Seattle in one bedroom in a five story building and cost a quarter million.

Fair enough. Of course, that's a big part of why I left Seattle & didn't stop in California!

Just know what you're looking at, JD, that's all.

Well, the first step is a vacation there. There next would be living there for 3 years of grad school (I assume they would let someone come there for school with their husband? I will ahve to check on that.) We have plenty of time to figure this stuff out. Thanks again for the input everyone.

Jonathan

Keep in mind that the cost of living is high (e.g. in the past year or two, we've seen fuel prices as high as about $4.50/gallon US),

Ouch.

Even where I am, a quarter-million US will buy you a very small 2-3 bedroom house on a lot that is only slightly larger than the house itself

That sounds like the current housing market in the Seattle area.

What about the flies?? Everytime I see something on Australia, everyone is swating flies. What do Dingo's taste like? Do they make good Chile.

:D

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Even where I am, a quarter-million US will buy you a very small 2-3 bedroom house on a lot that is only slightly larger than the house itself

That sounds like the current housing market in the Seattle area.

I know. I can't believe I used to live there. The NW I knew is gone forever.

Also, let's be sure we're comparing apples to apples. Where I live now (in Australia) is less than a 5 minute drive from cow pastures, & going to the airport is a 100-mile round trip (so, think like Monroe, WA, or Woodinville--where the prices are also escalating, btw!). If you want to live somewhere that's near something, the prices go up very fast, even for fixer-uppers in dodgy neighborhoods. But as was said, it's better in Melbourne than in Sydney--at least we don't have to bid for rent. Yet.

Well, the first step is a vacation there. There next would be living there for 3 years of grad school (I assume they would let someone come there for school with their husband? I will ahve to check on that.) We have plenty of time to figure this stuff out. Thanks again for the input everyone.

Jonathan

Study visas are easy to get. During your holiday you ought to talk to some of the alumni from the school you intend to study at. 1/2 way around the world is a long way to go on a few glossy brochures.

"But man it sounds soooooooo much better flat. I can't believe how much better it sounds." -- thabottomend

an antipodian adventure

This man knows his vocabulary! :thu:

You wouldn't believe the amount of flak I get when tried to get my MD to use the term "modulation" rather than "key change" when talking about a modulation in a piece of music.

(start rant)Modulation is what the composer put in to make it sound better, "key change" is what keeps the pianist up all night doing re-writes because the singers don't have the right range. (\end rant)

Of course for those of use who use lilly pond the transposition is quite easy (once you've written it in)...or you could just improvise off the pianist charts ;)

btw it should be spelt antipodean, FWIW.

I've played a lot of shows where the music was transposed by computer. Unfortunately the computer doesn't know the range of the instruments and occasionally parts get too low, forcing the player to have to make decisions about what to transpose up an octave while sightreading.

I brought a five string and took the attitude that if my chart said play a low Db, they were going to get a low Db. If they didn't like it, someone should have looked at the charts before they handed them to me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion of the wonderful country of Australia. Too bad they lost the Duel in the Pool for the third straight time.

What about the flies?? Everytime I see something on Australia, everyone is swating flies. What do Dingo's taste like? Do they make good Chile.

:D

Rocky

The flies aren't so bad. In the outback they can be so ubiquitous, they just about pick you up and carry you away, but there aren't so many in Melbourne.

Dingo isn't popular table fare here, but Kangaroo makes wonderful Chili :thu:

...and tacos!

Kangaroo will substitute for venison, which imo substitutes for beef anyway. I've also been led to believe that kangaroo ranching tends to be more humane than cattle ranching. The prices are also good. So, it's a win-win thing.

Also imo, the flies are a thang. Everywhere.

Study visas are easy to get. During your holiday you ought to talk to some of the alumni from the school you intend to study at. 1/2 way around the world is a long way to go on a few glossy brochures.

For sure. Thats why a vacation would have to be in order first. I am sure going to hate traveling to all these places to check out schools. All that vacation time might kill me ;)

Jonathan

Jonathan, why don't just move to West Texas. If looks just like Australia, eat beef instead of kangroo, No flies ! Just a few rattlesnakes. :thu:

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

...and tacos!

Kangaroo will substitute for venison, which imo substitutes for beef anyway. I've also been led to believe that kangaroo ranching tends to be more humane than cattle ranching. The prices are also good. So, it's a win-win thing.

Also imo, the flies are a thang. Everywhere.

Don't know much about cattle ranching, but all Kangaroo available for human consumption here is shot in the wild ;)

Archived