Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

interesting new backing audio and portable recorder solution

Mark Schmieder

I saw this new product from Alesis ridiculed in some forum last night, but can't find that post for doing a direct response, so may as well start a new topic in each of the three forums I participate in (Unicornation, Motiforum, Keyboard Corner).

http://messe.harmony-central.com/Musikmesse07/Content/Alesis/PR/iMultiMix-8.html

It may seem gimmicky to some, and as stupid as some of those other overpriced "i"-prefaced add-ons such as the iBoomBox or whatever, but frankly I think Alesis has done a brilliant job of filling a void for those who need a dependable backing track solution and/or a portable recording solution.

They have managed to address the main problems of the iPod: Poor internal preamps; Dodgy/jiggly control wheel that could jump to the wrong track at a gig before you realise it; Micro-cable that could come loose or be tripped over; Issues with battery power at a long gig or long on-location field recording session, etc.) -- while simultaneously presenting a usable small-profile mixer and a cheaper alternative to those overpriced static memory devices. And all for a list price of only $499!

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Alesis has jumped on the bandwagon to further cause audiophiles to do a direct-to-follicle rip of their hair. ;)

Actually, I can really see this working for the same reason you mentioned above. This makes it a lot easier to add backing tracks and/or record a performance.

Mobile-recording companies--this is not a threat to your business model. The Rolling Stones will not do their next live recording with this set-up. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived