Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Tool

cblinkdude182

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When Maynard gets over his crusade against Christianity, I might start listening to Tool again. I'm not offended by his message, it's just gotten f***ing boring listening to him rail about how much he hates Jesus....

No offense but he's pretty much never railed against Christianity... but it's too OT to get into here.

Just believe me when I say, I've been listening for a long time, and a lot of it has a lot less to do with Jesus than 90% of people think. After reading enough interviews it starts to make more sense.

The latest thing with Puscifer's track, "Sour Grapes", is probably the most honest thing he's ever written about religion.

Josh, I think you may have hit on something a few posts back....

I am not a tool fan. Never was, although, as I have mentioned, I do respect these guys as musicians. I just find the music really boring.

Anyway, tool is basically OK to me, though, as bands go.

But you mentioned tool fans... I really, REALLY get annoyed by intense tool fans, though. Holy crap. They're as bad as Deadheads or DMB fanatics. Come on, people... it's a band. It's music. While I am a huge fan of music in general, I am not obsessed with any artist like these folks are with these bands. Find something else in life, would ya?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

When Maynard gets over his crusade against Christianity, I might start listening to Tool again. I'm not offended by his message, it's just gotten f***ing boring listening to him rail about how much he hates Jesus....

No offense but he's pretty much never railed against Christianity... but it's too OT to get into here.

Actually, went through a review of their stuff, and it seems I got a good bit of APC ("Judith" et al) muddled up with Tool. I withdraw the objection, Tool hasn't recorded an I hate Jesus song since Aenima.

Actually, went through a review of their stuff, and it seems I got a good bit of APC ("Judith" et al) muddled up with Tool. I withdraw the objection, Tool hasn't recorded an I hate Jesus song since Aenima.

What I was really getting at is that basically none of those songs are really about Jesus. "Judith" is about his paralyzed mother, who has since died, and his disgust at the church congregation she was involved in. "F*** your god"=their god, not "the God", and those are his words.

"Sober" for instance is not even about religion. It's about a drug-addled painter. The Aenima song "Eulogy" is arguable but I think it's a general application rather than any specific self-claimed prophet.. and a lot of people think it's about Bill Hicks, the comedian, not a traditional religious figure.

It's just me, but the only Tool song I can possibly think of that would even begin to be a true attack on Christianity would be "Opiate", and in the case of so many Christian organizations it's pretty valid.

...Sorry guys, I said it was too OT but I did it anyways. :(

But you mentioned tool fans... I really, REALLY get annoyed by intense tool fans, though. Holy crap. They're as bad as Deadheads or DMB fanatics. Come on, people... it's a band. It's music. While I am a huge fan of music in general, I am not obsessed with any artist like these folks are with these bands. Find something else in life, would ya?

Oh man. The worst part is the ones that just like it because it's loud. And talk about "the effects" as being vaguely inspiring. I'm a self-hating Tool fan I guess. I hate most of "the others", at least...

On a side note, I listened to Lateralus again last night for the first time in a while when I couldn't sleep... I really have to recommend it, even if the rest of Tool turns you off. From my point of view it's an opus. From a religious point of view it's actually quite positive as well, just go listen to the track "Reflection". The whole "shining moon" thing is pretty much a mirror image of what Christians say they believe about Christ working through them.

What I was really getting at is that basically none of those songs are really about Jesus. "Judith" is about his paralyzed mother, who has since died, and his disgust at the church congregation she was involved in. "F*** your god"=their god, not "the God", and those are his words.

"Sober" for instance is not even about religion. It's about a drug-addled painter. The Aenima song "Eulogy" is arguable but I think it's a general application rather than any specific self-claimed prophet.. and a lot of people think it's about Bill Hicks, the comedian, not a traditional religious figure.

It's just me, but the only Tool song I can possibly think of that would even begin to be a true attack on Christianity would be "Opiate", and in the case of so many Christian organizations it's pretty valid.

"Opiate" and "Eulogy" were the ones I would have called out as being specifically anti-Christianity.

There seemed to be a lot more hostility in his APC stuff than the Tool material, that's why I backed up off it.

While he may have indicated in interviews that "Judith" wasn't a hate on Christianity thing, I never saw anything that backed that up in the words. Seriously, if one doesn't know the backstory on any of the questionable pieces, they come off like "F*** GOD! And F*** you for believing in GOD!"

That, plus the rumors that constantly circulate about Tool doing some sort of weird satanic ritual thing don't help the cause...

That said, I never perceived "Sober" to have any anti-Christian sentiment to it - "Jesus won't you f***ing whistle something but the past and done?" has always sounded to me, in context, a lot more like the desperate plea of an addict at rock bottom than a slight against the religious.

Interesting stuff here. I haven't read too deep into Tool's music (I should, as there is a ton of stuff going on there, not only musically), but I would call myself a casual fan. I dig their more radio friendly stuff, and a few odd songs here and there.

I have yet to listen to a full album, but all this talk about Laterus might have me pop it in the car.

and...

You're a slight against the religious.

Archived