Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Tool

cblinkdude182

Well I had in the past downloaded a few Tool songs and found them to be boring and the fact that all these guitar players respected them so much made me wonder, why? They suck. Well today I went to Best Buy and bought Fenema (couldnt figure out the f and e combining thing on my keyboard...) and really enjoy it! The muscianship shown is incredible and I love the vocals and some pretty cool bass stuff also. In the wrong context I can see how some people like I used to, hate Tool, but I think all bands can be interpreted wrong...Long live Tool!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as one comes to the darkside so does the ability to see what once could not. no?
Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Well I had in the past downloaded a few Tool songs and found them to be boring and the fact that all these guitar players respected them so much made me wonder, why? They suck. Well today I went to Best Buy and bought Fenema (couldnt figure out the f and e combining thing on my keyboard...) and really enjoy it! The muscianship shown is incredible and I love the vocals and some pretty cool bass stuff also. In the wrong context I can see how some people like I used to, hate Tool, but I think all bands can be interpreted wrong...Long live Tool!

Tool rocks.

Now... The album title is not "Femena". The first letter is not a combination of an F and an E. Its a combination of the letters A and E, a Latin diphthong. The correct title of the Tool album is "Aenema".

I would post the character properly, but I do not think that the forum software will support it. It showed up funny when I previewed the word.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Tool is one of those bands that produce albums, not singles. A lot of their material isnt radio friendly for reasons other than just the language. The intros are long and set the stage for the song.

They have had a couple of good singles and most rock/hard rock/alternative/heavy metal bands can and do cover Sober.

Its a combination of the letters A and E, a Latin diphthong....I would post the character properly, but I do not think that the forum software will support it. It showed up funny when I previewed the word.

You want one of these, Æ, right? ;)

Lots of people love Tool.

I'm not one of them.

That band reminds me of Rush combined with Yes filtered through Black Sabbath... with guest vocals from Dudley Dooright.

I find the songs to be overly long, aimlessly meandering and complex for the sake of being complex.

But then again, I don't really enjoy prog rock, regardless of how dark it is.

Having said that, there's no question that these boys can play, and they are nothing if not consistent and original.

I think the worst part about Tool is the way the band inspired about 20000000 other bands, signed and unsigned (Breaking Benjamin and Earshot, I'm looking at you!)... who all sound like crap versions of Tool... with drummers who definitely are not Danny Cary or in the same ballpark (or even playing the same sport.)

Ugh.

Thank you. Drive through.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I think the worst part about Tool is the way the band inspired about 20000000 other bands, signed and unsigned

Amen to that!

The first song I heard was "Sober" - so long ago I don't care to remember. It hooked me (being a prog fan) but the more of their stuff I listened to, the more I came to appreciate them as a group. I also think the singers voice is incredible.

I did see them on the Aenema tour and it was very amusing. Definetly one of the loudest bands I have been to see but that wasn't the funny part.

The singer came out for the first set in a bright red sequined coctail dress, long black wig and make-up. The reaction from the mob of teens and 20 somethings who were crowding the stage prepared to mosh was the funny part. Dumbfounded is a good word.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I think the worst part about Tool is the way the band inspired about 20000000 other bands, signed and unsigned (Breaking Benjaminand Earshot, I'm looking at you

Back when Breaking Benjamin was doing a club tour they did a great cover of "Sober".

Tool is one of my favourite bands.

On the other hand I don't like to play any of them songs, Strange enough

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I really dig Tool, ever since the Opiate EP. After Aenima, I kind of lost touch, but a couple of months ago I really got the itch again & bought Lateralus & 10,000 days. Both great albums. Not many bands put the thought into full albums anymore. Listen from start to finish & they are really congruent with a great flow.

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Its a combination of the letters A and E, a Latin diphthong....I would post the character properly, but I do not think that the forum software will support it. It showed up funny when I previewed the word.

You want one of these, Æ, right? ;)

Yeah, one of those. ----> Æ

It's called [font:Century Gothic] Ænema [/font] .

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

How did you do the combined a and e?

Press alt and 146 on the number pad. Æ

You sir are a genius!

(Random ALT - Keypad pressings...)

Æ ╚ § ⌠σ ║ ü ò ± ╖

======================

I don't think that I've ever heard Tool described as being boring...

I love Tool. I think they are one of the most original bands to have ever come along.

To me, they are a group of musicians who are actually artists.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

One thing that seems to put people off of tool at first is the pentabeats(as Carey called them in one interview) and other odd time signatures. From what I understand the majority of the last 2 albums have been written to the drum beats. I dont know about you but I rarely write songs to the drums. Carey is very influenced by the occult and said in one interview that one life changing event was seeing his father perform a Masonic ritual with a sword in his bedroom. I am glad they didnt go so far as to put a pentagram on the CD cover because to me it just draws teenagers dressed in black and just another way to sell records instead of actually trying to communicate with an audience.

Tool is one of my favorite bands, although the lyrics seem to hit the pretensions side with lateralus. I actually dont really like Sober. I have only seen them live 3 times, each time was dead on and a great show. I wish Maynard would have kept his pants on for one of them though.

Their arrangements are what I appreciate most. Most of there songs are not great for a cover band or for the radio; but they are great for me to listen to.

I like Tool. Lateralus destroys all kinds of ass. I need to buy their most recent offering still.

I think the worst part about Tool is the way the band inspired about 20000000 other bands

Welcome to the Seattle version of Tool: Counterfist

There are (what seems like) hundreds of other bands in the area trying desperately to be Tool. These guys are the only ones who are even close to doing it in my opinion.

How did you do the combined a and e?

There's thing called a Character Map hidden away in Programs/accessories/system tools (if you're using Windows) that is good for this too, and less random . . .

æĆŁŭΔЖװקפكعڞ۩۞╢╟♫♪☼☺♣☻♂☼♠♀

Hey that guy from Tool played a Wal, that's all I know.

• 2 years later...
Tool is one of my favourite bands.

On the other hand I don't like to play any of them songs, Strange enough

I have that with Uriah Heep. I absolutely love that band, every bass player they ever had and most of the bass lines in their songs. Yet I do not enjoy playing or learning those lines. On the other hand, I'm not a huge Deep Purple fan, and find their music to be less interesting / moving than Heep, but I love learning Deep Purple songs.

As for Tool, I love the Lateralus album. Saw Tool live once (Werchter festival, years ago when I still went to festivals) and thought they were utterly boring live. Musically superb, yes, but no show whatsoever. Dull was the word, and the word was dull.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

They are a horrible band to try to figure out, firstly for me because their fans can be real horror stories all on their own.

But I bought the album Lateralus and discovered thereafter that there is a LOT going on with that band regardless of who is wearing their t-shirts. Lateralus remains one of my top favorite albums to this day. Practically a holy book in CD form.

Their guitarist is a great video director. His video for "Prison Sex", which is about child abuse, is something I've watched over a hundred times. That is another good album--Undertow. A lot more raw than Lateralus.

I don't like their newest release as much.

In the end I can understand why a lot of people hate Tool. They are abrasive and strange and if you don't take the time to dig really deep you can catch a seemingly incoherent, violent message. Beneath that, quite often, I have found that they write about the best things about humanity intertwined with the worst, a kind of poetry that I can't ignore.

On the other hand, I don't know how you could ignore their bassist and drummer. While they both get more praise than they deserve from some circles, they really are masters of a fairly unique genre. (I've never heard another band that I REALLY thought sounded that much like Tool, as much as like a complete sucky ripoff.)

/thoughtspasm

Hello guys, been a gone a while but figured I would post considering I went to a Tool concert in San Antonio last month. Greatest experience of my life so far... Ya it was that good.

I've seen them six times. Two of those six shows were literally like unto religious experiences for me because I was really able to "connect". The others--thanks to idiotic moshing fans, bad sound, or perhaps mediocre performance--were not so good.

The two great shows? One was in St. Louis, MO where I was parked right in front of Justin Chancellor. The other was in Cape Girardeau, MO where I was parked right in front of Adam. The other four were St. Louis, Kansas City, Coachella 2006, and Mile High 2009.

I'm probably done going to Tool shows for a while. While sometimes they have made me feel very uplifted, for the most part I get that feeling best just listening to the albums on headphones. They tend to repeat setlists a lot too.

[i have a Tool setlist, given to me by Kevin Willis who is the lead male role from "Stinkfist"'s video. It includes the song....... "Purple Rain". No joke! Sadly they didn't perform it.]

I bought "8,634,598,634,256 Days" or whatever it is when it came out because I heard so many people ranting and raving over it. I've given it a good, healthy listen a few times and all I can say is that there's some cool instrumental work going on and that the singer sounds like the biggest *insert your favorite male-demeaning term here* to ever front a rock band.

**you could try "lilly-livered, testosterone-challenged castrato" or "two-tongued, zebra-headed, slime-coated paramesium brain, munchin' down on his own mucus, suffering from Peter Pan envy"...oops, wrong movie.

Sorry...I've had a loooong night of rehearsing and I'm tired and wishing I could stay awake for a movie or something.

But yeah, I'm not a fan of Tool.

10,000 Days is their worst album IMO. You'd be better off with Lateralus if you wanted a real idea of what makes these guys special.

Hm...it figures that I'd get the worst one that was talked up the most.

10,000 Days was talked up because it was Tool returning from (yet another) 5-year hiatus. After Lateralus, they had garnered a truly massive following; prior to that it had always been pretty big, but Lat got them to critical mass. So people waiting for 10,000 Days just made huge predictions about how awesome it was going to be, and it got pretty ridiculous.

Ironically Tool set precedent for this with Lateralus, releasing a false tracklist and title name that radio stations and journalists fully adopted as the truth until 20 or so days before release of the real thing. This time, when the REAL stuff was revealed, a lot of people, like me, were like "Oh they're just faking--that sounds like an awkward mess." Nope... it turns out it really was that.

I'm pretty hard on 10,000 Days--in truth there are parts of it that are solid. But the musicality and "special moments" of the other albums just aren't there. Lateralus really peaks with the "Triad" suite and a spoken word track, whereas 10,000 Days ends on a bunch of indecipherable noise after a relative whimper-not-bang finishing song. It's not at at all what I've come to expect from them (and that would probably delight Tool to hear). Oh well... better luck next album.

When Maynard gets over his crusade against Christianity, I might start listening to Tool again. I'm not offended by his message, it's just gotten f***ing boring listening to him rail about how much he hates Jesus....

Like, we get it already, dude. Find another lyrical topic, willya?

Archived