Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The answer to recording gigs on the go?

dohhhhh6

Wandering aimlessly around the talkbass.com forum, I discovered this little gem the Belkin Tunetalk. It records using the Ipod's hardrive (works with video or 2nd gen nanos) with its 2 built in omni-directional mics (or use of external mic, multiple gains stages in 16 bit/ 44.1khz.

Now I'm sure you guys have heard of Ipod recording accessories, but this is the first I've heard of one and after a little research, it seems to be the best one to date. I wonder how it stands up with your guys' MD recorders. It seems to be a nice alternative to the MD recorders for us Ipod users especially with it costing less than $100.

I've already ordered one, so I post back after some trials and tribulations with the band.

In Skynyrd We Trust

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooohhh, you lucky man. Ever since I had a mishap with my first Ipod, I always get extended warranties on electronics.

I've read some reviews on the tunetalk, and pretty much everyone likes it the most of the Ipod recording devices except for 1)short battery life ( 1 hour and half), 2) cost, and 3)hum of hardrive on quiet recordings. If this gives me better sounding recordings than a camcorder, I could care less about these small shortcomings. Also, there are some audio samples on the net, but they all seem to be podcast samples. We'll just have to wait for some music samples.

In Skynyrd We Trust

Looks like it will only work with the Video iPod and 2nd generation nano. The other Ipods will only record at 8Khz, good enough for voice though. Shame, I've got the Photo, maybe it's time to upgrade if it works though. Let us know how it goes and post some samples.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

getz76 - how do you like the CM-700's for recording a whole band? They are my standards for overheads when recording drums, but I've never tried them for a whole band. Curious...

Hey empiremark,

I have a big woody for the CM-700s. I really have a problem saying anything bad about them. I think they do a great job within reason to do a live recording. I have never used them for a critical recording, mostly just rehearsals. They do a good job of recording the usable bass; you just have to watch where you put them, just like any other set of mics or else you can pick up a LOT of drum brass or snare.

Wish I had some money, I'd go the M-Audio route.

Zoom just came out with a similar device that has an integrated X/Y stereo microphone for about US$100 less.

You plug your MP3 into the board via small mike jack plugged into the master output of the sound board, usually a left right RCA jacks.

That records whatever is going through the soundboard. That does not always equal the entire band.

You plug your MP3 into the board via small mike jack plugged into the master output of the sound board, usually a left right RCA jacks.

That records whatever is going through the soundboard. That does not always equal the entire band.

That's a charitable way of putting it. In my mind, board mixes of gigs are some of the most depressing things to listen to.

The two-track board mix (often begrudgingly) sent by the sound desk typically sounds like a** - because the mix is tailored to the room and in smaller clubs is simply support for stage volume. Usually you can expect a lot of vocals, a bit of guitar, some kick and snare, and an often strangely EQ'd version of your bass sound.

Well I got it today, and wow I am impressed. Unfortunately a photographer was there to do an article for the school newspaper on us, so I forgot to record anything with the whole band. However, when I got home I recorded myself on acoustic singing and it sounds pretty mpressive for $50. It seems to pick up quite a few nuances even without any gain.

Next band practice, I'll get a recording and post it. I really think you guys'll be impressed.

In Skynyrd We Trust

• 1 month later...

Sorry it took so long. My band's recorded 2 of our 3 gigs from the last week and a half and we've put up the recordings on our myspace. Our myspace is www.myspace.com/heyjoeband

Both recordings are using the built in microphone with the auto gain turned on and just putting the microphone facing the stage at about 20-30 feet away. No soundcheck or anything.

The first 2 songs "Trippy Jam" and "Purple Haze" are from a gym we played last week called United Methodist. These sound only alright and don't give a true measure at how good this simple solution can sound.

The other 2 songs "Frodo" and "Ed" are from our gig last night, which was outside in front of a large outside food court called Kirkwood Pavillon. These recordings, imo, give a pretty good measure how good this little guy can sound. As you can tell, it picks up bass pretty well for such a small microphone.

I'll see if I can get up "Purple Haze" from last night so you guys can hear how good the vocals sound in a good recording with the Ipod recorder. Check our site in a day or two. Enjoy!

In Skynyrd We Trust

Thanks, that sounds really good considering what it was recorded with. I was looking at some kind of solution using the iPod as a hard drive, but hearing this looks like I might just upgrade to a newer iPod. Shame. Luckily I'll be working this Saturday! I'm thinking that there must be a similar product on the market that will allow you to use your own mics or even take a line in. I'm off to search.

Dominique actually speaks like Jimi!

Any chance that I could have a copy of Ed and Frodo?

I bought a Zoom H4 from Sweetwater a couple of weeks ago. It records to SD flash cards, a very common storage chip used in many digital cameras. It plugs into the USB port of most computers, Mac and PC. I would guess a card reader might also transfer the tracks. It will record two tracks in stereo or 4 track mode, just two tracks at a time. It has amphenol connectors for lo-Z mics and quarter inch guitar cable inputs and can be used as a sound card directly to USB. It also has a pair of XY mics on top of the unit. So far I've only recorded some live gigs of friends' bands and some of our practice sessions. When I get more savvy with the programs, I'll try to post some of the stuff.

You have a choice when using the on-board mics to record in 44.1/16 bit or MP3. The interface feature also has 48kHz and 96.

The main drawback is battery life. It apparantly has a low threshold and quits when the two AA batts start going down. There's a forum - http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=15 - where you can get the drift of what it's like.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Something that looks really appealing to me is the new Zoom H4 field recorder. It's about $250 (I think the next least expensive field recorder is around $450 or so), but seems like you get a lot of stuff for the meager price...built-in condenser mics (don't know how good they are, but probably plenty sufficient), onboard storage for digital audio (CompactFlash, IIRC), two XLR mic inputs with phantom power, 4-track recording capability onboard, and the ability to use the same device as a USB audio interface to a computer running the included Cubase LE software. That's a pretty impressive feature list IMHO. I haven't tried one myself, so I can't speak from experience...but it sure does look appealing on paper.

Dave

I've been recording every gig since December when I got a Zoom H4. Originally, I got it to review my performances(new to band in August 2006) BUT it has captured many unique and nice moments. I've not dug into the software/options. It gets plugged in, set on my side of the stage(sometimes on the floor), and hit record. Sensitivity is set to minimum, AUTOGAIN ON, Comp/Limiter ON..recording mp3 files at 160kbps(?). Shown below setup at an outdoor gig, left front of the stage near Line 6 Bass POD XT Live. It's sitting on my always-present "cord-to-use-in-case-wireless-craters"...a habit developed when the FIRST generation of NADY's came out centuries ago...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Johnny_Crab/NatOilStage02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Johnny_Crab/SetupFXd.jpg

At our "houseband" gig, it gets set on a handrail on top of a polish cloth(vibration remover!).

Samples?

One

Solo section of a song UNPROCESSED and NOT EQ'd at all:

http://media.putfile.com/Zoom-H4-Live-Demo-Unprocessed

Two

We were covering that floor-filling, bass-player-in-a-cover-band-gotta-know song Brown Eyed Girl. One second before the bass/drum "solo" fill part(you know the line), a guest backup singer stepped on my volume pedal turning it off. After a 2 second check cord(ok), look at wireless display(signal ok), and THEN glance at pedal and see....*@!#!%!#@ red...I slammed it down and this came out. My amp's set on edge so if I play hard, it gets dirty...if I play normally, it's clean. This was played in anger(so hard I even hear the clicks of a string hitting the pickup), Growl-Eyed Girl?

http://media.putfile.com/Growl-Eyed-Girl

PS:

I LOVE our drummer.

He's a time-keeping wonder(jumped the song back to the normal drum/bass part after keeping time filling in the 3 second 100mph troubleshooting session). Plus, he's a great guy.

http://www.myspace.com/theguzzlers

Dad gave me a bass when I was 10.

I learned Gloria, Satisfaction, and a lot of Booker T & the MG's.

Wow that Zoom H4 sounds good. I was looking at either the Edirol R09 or Zoom H4. But I think the Zoom has it. Presumably it can double as a headphone amp, and I can download tunes to it and play along to them. It looks like this is what I've been waiting for for the last 2-3 years to replace my Mini Disk, Drum Machine (I could create the drum tracks and download them on to it), Headphone amp, effects processor, Laptop sound interface.

All for less than £200. Am I right?

Archived