Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

April 11th London Jam confirmed

Phil W

Hi London guys,

April 11th at 2-6 in the afternoon is confirmed for the London Lowdown jam. I'm off now to pay the deposit. I have booked the Green rehearsal room at The Joint in Kings Cross. I can sort you out Zone 2 parking if necessary - though that would mean legging ten minutes with gear.

http://www.thejoint.org.uk/index.asp

I have booked a drumkit, I have not given any specs on that yet - Davo, if you want you can ring direct with any requests. I have not booked any backline yet (we have a PA). If you need an amp, let me know and I will book it, or you can call them direct.

The studio is booked in the name of Lowdown! :cool: :grin:

I'm just off now to have a look. I'm presuming that Davo, Tim and I will definitely be there . . . with possibly (hopefully) Pierre (drummer), Lenny and Rahsaan from Keyboard Corner (his band are at the Jazz Cafe on the 9th).

Anyone else in - let me know!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Phil. Is there a dress code?

5K PA! I think I'll travel in on the tube and DI.

I'll try to remember to bring my Mini Disk and some disks.

First round of muffins is on me.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

The PA looks very tasty. The backline for hire is a bunch of old Trace Elliot heads and cabs. It's a nice room - not as pretty as the Premises but good enough - and since no-one else expressed a preference I chose it as I can walk there!

Does anyone want to sing, they can set up the kit and mics in advance. I am trying to get a horn player though my trumpeter friend can't make it.

OK Coooool

Looking forward to it already. I'll call re: the drums - I do hope Pierre can make it. Thanks for organising Phil. I suggest we book one of the Traces too, but I'll do that. Nice.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

OK, I phoned and booked:

Yamaha Stage drum kit + Pro cymbals

Trace Elliot 250 Watt head and 15"/8" speaker

2 microphones have been put aside for us if we need them :)

We would need another bass amp but I wasn't sure Phil if you were going to bring your own Epifani/Acoustic Image gear?

Davo

Nice one Phil. Is there a dress code?

5K PA! I think I'll travel in on the tube and DI.

I'll try to remember to bring my Mini Disk and some disks.

First round of muffins is on me.

I missed this one through simultaneous posting!

Dress code . . . yes, dressed please - no undressed players allowed.

The PA is a monster and there's decent foldback so DI should ve OK. Bring your minidisc, I'll bring mine which has a recent habit of cutting out for a few seconds during recording - arrggh.

Between us we should get something. If I bring the laptop have you got anything that can record the room sound into it

I'll bring some bits and pieces, my condenser mic has a battery so we could try that with your laptop, or we could do something clever with some mics and the mixer sends.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

We would need another bass amp but I wasn't sure Phil if you were going to bring your own Epifani/Acoustic Image gear?

Davo

We'll have the Trace and the Epi/AI but we'll also have a massive PA with four monitors so we should be covered.

Rahsaan from the KC can make it 4-6. I'm off to his gig at the Jazz Cafe on Saturday hopefully. It'd be good to try to get someone to play guitar/flute/violin/kazoo/ french horn/whatever for the first couple of hours but not vital.

I don't want to invite the guitarist I work with regualrly as I feel he'd be too dominant.

Guitarist? ... quite right. This is a bit of a trial run. After all we have no material. I initially considered it might be fun to see each other play and discuss technique etc. As long as there is a drummer, I'm happy.

Seems we have enough gear. I will bring my laptop and USB interface. Could do with a pair of decent balanced mics. They probably have some at the studio.

Davo

...Dress code . . . yes, dressed please - no undressed players allowed...

Ah, you stuffy, uptight Brits...http://websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1385.gifhttp://websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1386.gif...

Sounds like fun; I'll be hopping the Concorde to make that jam! - Nah, not really, unfortunately. Wish I could. I'd play guitar for all you real bass players.

Guitarist? ... quite right. This is a bit of a trial run. After all we have no material. I initially considered it might be fun to see each other play and discuss technique etc. As long as there is a drummer, I'm happy.

Seems we have enough gear. I will bring my laptop and USB interface. Could do with a pair of decent balanced mics. They probably have some at the studio.

Davo

Yeah, I know what you mean, Davo. Having no material has never been a handicap to me though - I've done whole gigs like that! ;)

I'm just happy that (fingers crossed) Pierre will be there.

It wil give us a chance to utilise the range of our playing anyway.

Thanks for bringing the laptop, Davo.

...Dress code . . . yes, dressed please - no undressed players allowed...

Ah, you stuffy, uptight Brits...http://websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1385.gifhttp://websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1386.gif...

Sounds like fun; I'll be hopping the Concorde to make that jam! - Nah, not really, unfortunately. Wish I could. I'd play guitar for all you real bass players.

:grin:

:cry:Jealous :cry:

Hopefully this will be the 1st of many jams and I will be able to make it at some point. :wave:

Please post ASAP, after telling us how it went.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Errr... we got bumped too! Someone booked an all-day lockout on the Green room (number one room) so they take precedence. We're bumped down to the yellow room I think. Still, it's perfectly adequate - there is also a grand piano (although that costs extra) and it's £12.50 per hour plus VAT in stead of £16 per hour plus VAT and that sounds googd to me.

Here is the list of available backline

http://www.thejoint.org.uk/equipment_pa_hire.asp

And here is a picture and specs of the Yellow Studio

http://www.thejoint.org.uk/studios_yellow.asp

Only a little smaller room and we still have a 2.4k rig

Specs -

PA Speakers CPA front of house and foldback - 2 double monitor mixes, 2 power amps (4 channels) 2.4k rig

Desk Soundcraft

Outboard Alesis Midiverb, Alesis MEQ 31 band graphic x2 , Behringer x4, one touch recording

Extras tape deck, digitally linked for audio and video

Features Sofa, window, airconditioning, ventilation

Size 470 sqft (27.5ft wide by 14 ft deep)(ceiling height average 3m)

Rate £12.50 per hour; use of Kawai GE1 mid grand acoustic piano additional £5 per hour

Cheers, Jonathan. Yeah, we'll try - we'll find a way of recording it. Then it'll be reminiscent of the 'Bitches Brew' sessions - searching through hours of jams on tape to find a few minutes to let people hear. Not that we're quite on the standard with MIles' band! ;) It might be fun for people to try to guess which bassist is which. London guys, check out the change of studio above.

Archived