Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Video Tutorial

cblinkdude182

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No harm in checking.

There are two things you have to learn in order to read.

One is the names of the notes on the paper.

The other is the names of the notes on your instrument.

After that you will have to connect those two things.

Here's what you have to do:

There are five lines and four spaces on the staff.

Memorize them. That shouldn't be so hard.

Get some bass clef music, it could be absolutely anything....something like classical cello music or band music for trombone would be good because you won't know what it's going to sound like. (and there won't be any tab on the pages).

Xerox the music and then sit down with a pencil and write all the note names on the page. Keep doing this until it gets easy.

Take out your instrument and sit there and say the name of every note you play. Do that until it starts getting easy.

Get a piece of paper and a pencil. Play some song you know on your bass. Now write down the letter names of all the notes you just played. It will take a while, but it will get easier as you go along.

NOW...get a beginning bass book. If it has tab in it, either glue paper over the tab or obliterate it with a black marker.

Start reading the music. Keep going. Start with attempting to read some notes before you allow yourself to play anything else.

You'll get it eventually. Let us know when you've got it!

I'm no theory expert, but it's the class I took in 9th grade that made a HUGE difference in my musical life. I was already playing an instrument, but the world of chords was opened up for me. From that point forward I could sit at a piano and bang out music from chord charts, understand what notes are in the chords that guitar players were doing, and start my ear training.

I'd advise doing what Jeremy says, but take the class as well!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived