Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most embarrassing stage moments

Strategery

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Craig,

As for the butterfly pins... see? LOL No idea.

Peace

I've posted this drawing before, but here it is again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/twocaraboos/ButterflyBin.jpg

Ok,I'm getting mixed up!! on the drawing there...I've used "W" style folded horns in the past or they where mid range wide pattern horns in those kid of cabinets..I don't get the butter fly pins? what do they do? are they for transport reasons or what are they for?

Butterfly pins? Do you mean my crudely drawn wheels? There are four wheels on the bottom. The darn things weighed around 80 pounds each. They needed wheels to help move them around.

Our stack consisted of (per side) two butterfly bins, two mids, one horn and a bullet pack. 12 speakers in all, between both sides.

I've told this before, but anyway...

I was playing a gig at the China Club in Hollywood. It was around the time of the Grammies or some music awards ceremony.

In the audience that night were Elton John, John Entwhistle, Julian lennon among others. It was a big gig for us, industry types all around, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter ( ex-Doobie Brothers ) was doing our sound...big gig. The China Club was the hottest venue in town, everyone was going there. A coveted gig and hard to get.

So I figured to make a huge impression on everyone. I had a solo in every song but one song in particular, Temptation, had an extended solo..two in fact and the length was my call. So I figured to pull all the stops in that one.

The moment arrived, I stepped right to the front of the stage, felt the heat from the follow spot hit my face, put one foot up on the monitor wedge, raised the guitar to my face and started playing a wailing solo with my teeth. I had my thumb around the whang bar and I was dive bombing that baby while picking with my chompers.

It appears that while this was going on, my long hair proceeded to become completely entagled in the whammy bar and bridge and as I held a note and went to lower the guitar back down, I realized it was stuck in my hair, stuck on my face in fact and I could not get it off....it wouldn't come away. So I thought screw it, I'm gonna have to rip it off so I gave it a good solid yank and tore it out of my hair as I stepped back and in doing so I tripped over my own feet and next thing I knew I was flying backwards about 3 feet off the ground.

So now, as I am going down, it occurred to me the only thing I could do was try make it look like I had planned it this way. So as I hit the deck squarely on my ass I crossed my legs and continued playing the solo....crosslegged and very red in the face......and with quite a few hairs missing...and a hairy whammy.

Luckily our singer, Astrid Plane, saw this and slinked on over to me and danced in front of me, sitting on the ground still, in a seductive manner and helped make it look like some part of the show.....the old standard face near the girl singers crotch submissive guitar player move.

I don't know how it looked from out front...I have a good idea how I would have reacted to seeing that.....but deep embarrassment.....deep, deep embarrassment. :D

I was playing a gig at the China Club in Hollywood. It was around the time of the Grammies or some music awards ceremony.

In the audience that night were Elton John, John Entwhistle, Julian lennon among others. It was a big gig for us, industry types all around, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter ( ex-Doobie Brothers ) was doing our sound...big gig. The China Club was the hottest venue in town, everyone was going there. A coveted gig and hard to get.

So I figured to make a huge impression on everyone. I had a solo in every song but one song in particular, Temptation, had an extended solo..two in fact and the length was my call. So I figured to pull all the stops in that one.

The moment arrived, I stepped right to the front of the stage, felt the heat from the follow spot hit my face, put one foot up on the monitor wedge, raised the guitar to my face and started playing a wailing solo with my teeth. I had my thumb around the whang bar and I was dive bombing that baby while picking with my chompers.

It appears that while this was going on, my long hair proceeded to become completely entagled in the whammy bar and bridge and as I held a note and went to lower the guitar back down, I realized it was stuck in my hair, stuck on my face in fact and I could not get it off....it wouldn't come away. So I thought screw it, I'm gonna have to rip it off so I gave it a good solid yank and tore it out of my hair as I stepped back and in doing so I tripped over my own feet and next thing I knew I was flying backwards about 3 feet off the ground.

So now, as I am going down, it occurred to me the only thing I could do was try make it look like I had planned it this way. So as I hit the deck squarely on my ass I crossed my legs and continued playing the solo....crosslegged and very red in the face......and with quite a few hairs missing...and a hairy whammy.

Luckily our singer, Astrid Plane, saw this and slinked on over to me and danced in front of me, sitting on the ground still, in a seductive manner and helped make it look like some part of the show.....the old standard face near the girl singers crotch submissive guitar player move.

I don't know how it looked from out front...I have a good idea how I would have reacted to seeing that.....but deep embarrassment.....deep, deep embarrassment. :D

And the prize for most embarrassing stage moment goes too....

a mouse is never the best tool for art work.

I don't find them that bad, especially if you give them a few sunflower seeds first.

Actually, if you're going to use MS-Paint, the best thing to do (if you haven't got a drawing tablet) is to use the various standard shapes that MS-Paint draws automatically, and make the drawings up out of those shapes.

I guess my most embarassing stage moment was the first gig for a band I was in with my wife, of all people. She and the singer went off to get soemthing to eat before the gig and left me at the bar to look after the gear.

And they took a while to come back and I basically got bored and drank way too much and was completely drunk when the gig started. And because the band was basically her, the vocalist and I, it must have been a disaster. I still find it hard to talk about.

winner. :rawk:

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing in a theatre a few years ago, so the band sat under the stage, in sweden we call them "orchestra ditch". At the end of the play the actors were to march around the stage to the sound of "marching drums". The drummer couldnt do drumswirls (probably not the word for it but hopefully you understand what i mean) and since i played drums before i switched to guitar i said that i could do it.

We rehearsed it and all went fine. I thought "damn im quite the musician, switching instruments and stuff", feeling mighty full of myself.

The opening night the show went great, the end came and i sat down behind the drums. I started doing the marching rythm with the snare, kicker and hi-hat. After like 30secs i thought i try some fills, it was a show damnit, lets rock!!

So i did a little fill, and the bassplayer gave me a smile, so i thought "damn im cooking!!". So i started doing some triplets and rimshots and other cool stuff (i thought atleast). At the end of the march i was pretty flamboyant behind the drums, sweating my ass off thinking i was Ian Paice!

Then the director and a couple of actors came down and wanted to have a word with the ********* drummer! I raised my hand, a bit confused. Apparently neither the actors or the crowd shared my ingeniuos sense of rythm and had a hard time following my "marching rythm" and asked, quote: "what the ****** do you think your doing?!?!".

Since the band couldnt see the crowd or the actors from where we sat and only communicated by headset, and since i was the bandleader and didnt heave my headset on behind the drums, i had no clue that my incredible marching drumming where the defenition of "showstopping drumming!"

I was still in the band the following shows, but didnt play anymore drums :D

www.myspace.com/stefanejnarsson

www.myspace.com/biebluesband

Having a trio that included a cheapo Yamaha drum machine, at my friend`s club and one night I show up for the gig and there`s this HUGE crowd, the place is packed and I thought I`d make light of it so I wouldn`t get nervous and stood in the door with this shocked `all these people to see us?` look and the crowd saw me and about 35% of them left.

Talking with the other guitarist and him saying, ` We should have some fun with this gig, get some one-piece women`s bathing suits (ha ha) or some kind of silly costumes`, and me showing up the next week with a glittery 70s type shirt on with the wide collar under my regular shirt and at a strategic moment whipping off my regular shirt-to absolute silence.

Showing up for a regular gig with a group that featured two fluent sight-readers, a pianist and bassist, and they would do jazz standards for the first part of the gig and then I would show up and we would do more fusion-type things and them saying, well we were going to feature a horn player tonight but he couldn`t make it so would you like to step into the limelight for a bit? and me saying heck yeah, and the first song they wanted to do was `Breezin` which I had just started working on, didn`t have it down yet and I`m trying to tell the piano player but he can`t hear me because he`s telling the audience, `this song features Skip, our guitar player`. Then it became obvious I wasn`t getting it and they wanted to do the next song which was a STANDARD, `Green Dolphin Street` which I didn`t know at all and it`s one of those tunes with a chord change every bar and the pianist launches into it and I`m saying `I don`t know this` and he looks at me cause it`s time for me to take a solo and I give him this look and he quickly takes the sheet music and drops it in front of me well-at that time it wasn`t a big help. So I thought the only thing I could do was turn the volume down and just sort of, nod my head and I did it and some German guy leans into my ear and says turn up your power, I can`t hear anything` and I thought, GOOD. What a freaking disaster.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I was playing in a theatre a few years ago.....

I think we have a winner here!!!

I laughed my ass off at this one. I did many a gig in the orchestra pit and there is so much stuff that goes on down there. I totally know where you were at when the MD cruised over to give you a load of shit LMAO, they generally don't have the slightest sense of humor it seems. I had one that used to pull his eyeglasses down on his nose and glare at me over the rim when he caught me screwing around.

That was so funny .

Hey here's one for you Stefan. Take a piece of foil from a small chocolate and roll it up into about a 6mm ball and throw it onto the timpani in a quiet part and watch the tymp player get glared at....the sound is awesome as it bounces over the two drums....dim diddle de dim dim doom doom doom.

Or hey try this...fill the trombone players horn up with water when he goes off to use the restroom in between cues. They usually hit the saliva release before they fire off the next set of notes, watch the fun when all that water comes pouring out.

Or if you really want some fun, change the order of the 1st trumpet players charts when he goes to flirt with a dancer between cues.

Once we let a balloon off through the prompt hole during the final performance of a comedy spoof of Cinderella that ran for like 6 months. This sucker just flew up into the air going ffFFFFFTTTt, that inimitable fart sound. The audience cracked up.

Oh man, Stefan you bring back fond memories to me.

HAHHAHHAAHA...hilarious!! :grin:

Hey, I can relate to that Fumbly.

I played clarinet coming up and we used to pull all kinds of gags on each other.

The girls were notorious about having to go to the restroom during practice.

The band leader would get furious and sometimes made them wait when it got out of hand.

So I talked to one of the girls and set up a gag.

I went home and recorded a toilet flushing on my tape recorder and brought it back to school.

She would ask to go to the restroom, knowing he would turn her down, and she would say she would relieve herself in the instrument room. :grin:

She would then go in there, close the door, then press play with the volume on 10, and walk out.

Oh my God....we lost it laughing and I've never seen such a red face with veins sticking out of his neck on the band leader. :grin:

Of course, we were in the 8th & 9th grade, so consider the source. :grin:

Randy

"Just play!"

Archived