Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neck and Bridgepick Ups: Im a newb

Professor Monkey

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if you play ANY guitar, you'll notice that the sound becomes thinner as you get to the bridge and somewhat fatter and richer as you get near the neck. It makes sens to put pickups in these places so you can get as many sounds as possible from your guitar.

The strings can ALL be heard, ALL of the time, it's just that they sound different. Even if all you have is a crappy old nylon string you can hear the diff.

What make and model of guitar. It could be your tone controls and not your pickup selection

Yeah, could be.

Or perhaps... one or more of the pickups is slanted so as to favour the bass strings?

SlvrDragon, have a look at the pickups. They shouldn't be on a slope (ie with the pickup closer to the bass strings than the treble or viceversa), they should be dead straight(ish). If they are on a slope, you can correct that easily enough: there should be two small screws, one on each side of each pickup. If you grab a screwdriver, you can adjust the angle of the pickup.

Make sure the pole pieces don't get in the way of the strings though.

But as Zuben pointed out, check out the tone controls, even on your amp if you have them.

is this the Eclipse?

the way to balance those is to lower the bass side of the pickups slightly in relationship to the treble side.

there are screws on each side of the pickup ring, turn the screws counter clockwise to lower the pickup and clockwise to raise them. emg actives are able to be set pretty close because of the lower magnetic pull. but my personal preference is to back them off to get a woodier tone.

use your ears when adjusting the pickups height. try one turn on the bass side of the pickup and work from there.

if the bass side is fairly low try raising the treble side.

if the original strings are on the guitar they may be a heavy bottom/ light top set.

that could be some of the reason for the imbalance.

Yep, either on a Gibson or Fender style, there should be a small screw on the top and bottom of each pickup.

Screw clockwise to Raise...counter clockwise to lower them.

Don't get to low or too high.

Too high may hit your strings when fretted and cause buzzing. To low and you'll not get as much sound.

Good luck! :)

Randy

OOPs...this is redundant. Sorry. :grin:

"Just play!"

KF3 wrote: "The strings can ALL be heard, ALL of the time, it's just that they sound different. Even if all you have is a crappy old nylon string you can hear the diff."

That brings up something I've often wondered about. Would nylon strings work with an electric guitar pick-up? I was thinking they had to be metal strings to affect the magnetic field. I know the bass nylon strings are metal wrapped around the nylon so I'm sure they would make some sound but what about the unwound all nylon trebles? Not that I want to do this, it's just something I was wondering about.

Archived