Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

An interesting trip to the local GC yesterday...

NoahZark

I, too, am buying almost everything off the Net these days, but I still like to get my fingers on as many different boards as I can, which necessitates the occasional visit to the local GC.

Anyway, thanks for the support, guys.

Peace,

Noah

P.S. Tarkus: Next time I'm going with your solution!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I take comfort in the fact that the guitar section is always worse.

Actually most music stores have a guitar "isolation room" where you can try out guitars, especially acoustic. Sometimes the guys in the electric guitar isolation room crank so loud that you can hear it all over the store anyway. There's rarely anything similar for keyboards (there are a few exceptions, such as the isolation room I mentioned previously at GC-Atlanta where an OASYS was set up) and it's not like you can just pick up a piano and carry into a booth anyway.

It's a bit of a double-edge sword: you want to try out keys before buying them but some stores make it nearly impossible and trying out keys online IS impossible. Selection/stock is often a problem at stores too because they only carry best-selling models, and I have to feel for the store that has broken keyboards on display (see my earlier post regarding Sam Ash - Atlanta)... obviously some serious misuse occurs at retail shops.

I can't think of a solution.

The best one I have is to go at an hour when no one is there, like in the AM when they open on a weekday.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

i generaly go for the make them look like an idiot tack... playing something to their beat generaly does it except when they think they're inspiring you... but ive been known to turn 'em off too...
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

The best one I have is to go at an hour when no one is there, like in the AM when they open on a weekday.

My solution too. But I'm a Thurs-Sat musician and self employed day gigger, so I can take Mondays off if I want. Mondays from opening until mid-afternoon are very quiet.

I also take my headphones. I've had my Sony MDRs for 15 years, and know how the sounds I hear through them will translate through amplification a lot better than listening through unfamiliar monitors.

When I'd go to GC or Sam Ash, the canned house music was so loud, and people trying out stuff, I couldn't hear anything without headphones. Sure, I'll use headphones first, but you want to hear it eventually through speakers.

So I just told the salesguy "I'd like to try this out, but I can't try it or buy it if I can't hear it." So he turned off the house music and turned down the volume on the keyboards other people were trying. So I think it's best to get the salesperson to do that instead of putting yourself in harm's way. Not every salesperson would do this, but if he's not willing to, the store doesn't deserve your money.

And of course, I know interest in higher ticket items will get you more 'respect' from the salesperson.

Now he just turns the house music off when I come in. And if he's not there, I'd leave... if you can't hear it, it's not worth wasting your time or money.

Archived