Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm not a newby but I have a dumb question

Rampdog

You guys have posted Youtube clips of guys playing leads to certain songs... The rythem tracks are those of the song done by the artist but the lead track is not there, (obviously done by the person on Youtube) ... How do they get the lead track out but leave the rest of the song intact...?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the one that I heard, they took the original mix (24 tracks or what ever it was) and just turned down the volume on the lead track.

There are ones you can get, where someone has faithfully recorded all of the instruments, as close to the original as they can. For example:

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/pink_floyd/comfortably_numb.htm

Yea Craig...That's what I was looking for...only I was looking for some Robbin Ford...but actually I was wondering if there is a program that I can split out the instuments myself... I could be pissin in the wind here but ya never know... that's why I'm askin you guys...

Woof

I know there are ways to remove vocals, but nothing I know of for guitar.

Found another place with a bunch of bands:

http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list

Awesome site Craig... I just saved it and I have the whole day tomorrow to go through it... Thanks again for finding this stuff for me...

My best to you and yours,

Willy

...but actually I was wondering if there is a program that I can split out the instuments myself... I could be pissin in the wind here but ya never know... that's why I'm askin you guys...

Woof

No more than you can remove the egg from a cake.

But there are programs that will reverse the phase of one of the stereo tracks and mix them together, cancelling out whatever sits in the center. And there are some more complex softwares out there that claim to be able to pull parts out of mixes.... I don't deal with them, as this is the antithesis of what I do... I MAKE mixes, I do not deconstruct them. Furthermore, I throw away original source tracks... not that I don't want anyone to be able to go back later and work on a classic track, it is just that I see little point in trying to save thousands of terrabytes of data in the hope that one day someone might want the originals. I make a decision, mix, and throw the leftovers away. Imagine building a house, and keeping all the scrap lumber, pipe and wire, carpet pieces, little three inch pieces of 2x4....

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I know there are ways to remove vocals, but nothing I know of for guitar.

Kind of. What those devices do is cancel all information that is common to both left & right channels. In other words the mono component, which is where most people place the lead vocal. The vocal reverb, however, is generally stereo & therefore still comes through. Also the bass & kick drum & a fair amount of other stuff is also often panned right down the center, so all of that gets cancelled out as well. It's an extremely imperfect process with significant downsides.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived