Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NYC Area Shows of Interest

getz out

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michal the Girl @ The Bitter End

8:15 p.m., Tuesday April 3, 2007

147 Bleeker St. (between Thompson and LaGuardia)

michalthegirl.com

Cover: $7

Music-man (Ken) plays cello in this band.

This is one of my favorite local, independent acts. They are truly doing something different. I originally went to see Ken play, but I have become rather enamored with the band as a whole. Lots of talent and great songwriting. Their CD "Strung Out" is in heavy rotation for me.

Two Lowdown bands in the same week! How can you say no?

The Last Broadcast @ The Parkside Lounge

Thursday, April 5th - 8:30pm

317 East Houston St. (between Ave B & C)

www.lastbroadcast.net

This is the live hip-hop band that I play with. We've been in hiding finishing up the final mixes for our 3-song EP which will soon be inflicted mercilessly on the general public. Come help us celebrate the end of the mixing/mastering process!

The trax on the myspace page were recorded before I joined the band, but you'll get a general idea of what we sound like.

I'm working on the Tuesday show (I am also a bigtime Michal The Girl fan, and also have her stuff in heavy rotation). I have to be in NJ on that day and out the night before, so I may not know until the last minute.

Sorry Ben - can't make Thursday. Keep us informed.

Flem - I've been wanting to make the trip, but not this week. Maybe we can organize a night with the NJ contingent. The website doesn't show the next gig - is it 4/28?

And for the record:

Stonefly

Saturday, May 12

PJs

Route 6 and 118 Baldwin Place

Mahopac, NY

Music begins at 10:00

It's a bit far for many of the "locals". The bar is an interesting place, because I get the feeling that it has a "rough" crowd. When we're there, the owner and staff love us (dancing on the bar by the 3rd set) and a few "rough looking characters" have done nothing more than drink at the bar, chat to the staff, and pay us huge compliments at the end of the night.

Show up early - what could be better than watching me boss people around and "crack the whip", followed by great music and me making funny faces....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

My Autumn Fire

April, 5 2007

The Vibe Lounge

535 Ridge Road

Lyndhurst, New Jersey

Cost: $7.00.

Sure, it's not NYC, but what is?

Don't expect any covers, but I may do an impromptu version of Rich Boy's "Throw Some D's" if I'm in the mood.

That's worth seven bucks, right?

BTW, the twins will be there.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I'm down for Michal the Girl, fo' sho', yo.

The Last Broadcast on Thurs -- I might be able to make it there by 9:30. What's the chance you'll start late and play long, Ben? If I miss the show, will some folk still be hangin' long enough for an adult beverage or two?

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

My Autumn Fire

April, 5 2007

The Vibe Lounge

535 Ridge Road

Lyndhurst, New Jersey

Cost: $7.00

Eric,

I just performed there two weeks ago..I subbed for a friend of mine..very last minute...it was a Thursday and its was a miserable night of snow and sleet. A horrible ride home...

There was not a single customer in the place.. just the band..bartender..bouncer and the owner.

Its a nice room and there is a nice PA in house..very small stage area..we just had the drums up there.. but maybe the good weather will bring some people out..its a nice area and there is a Boston Market a few block from the club...

Have a great show

Dan

www.danielprine.com

Eric, Lyndhurst is just down the road (well, up the road, actually...). I'll try to make it out. Any other takers?

Maury, beware. It could affect your children...

Tom, April 27th, the last Friday of every month (except August - that's when we have our sex/drugs/Geritol parties...)

It'd be large to see y'all!

-Tim

Play. Just play.

Cool, cool.

We're on at 9:30pm, I believe, and we're supposedly playing with two other bands who are quite different from us.

Looks like I'll also be bringing my whole rig, too (the 6x10, SWR head, etc) since this joint isn't backlined. Yay for me.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

OK - I'm putting a reminder in my calendar for late April and blocking off the 27th.

I'll post again as we get closer to "cough it up" time.

It looks like I won't be going to NJ this Tuesday, so I'm a bit closer to making Michal The Girl. If you have Strung Out (or listen online), learn the handclaps to "Flashlight" (usually I'm the only one doing this). And Getz - remember to bring that old sock to stick in my mouth when I start singing harmonies. I love this act...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

In related news, one of my homies has a gig TONIGHT in Brooklyn. I've pasted the info below. :cool:

This gig has the potential to be quite eclectic and a bit mind-blowing. I sat in for part of one of their rehearsals and the trio covered some Weather Report, some original tunes, some classical, some Latin jazz -- yet somehow managed to make the melange strangely coherent. All three performers are top-notch musicians, and several of you already know my friend Dan Cooper from the first two Bass, Beer, Brats Fests.

Cooper, Palkowski, & Shamir (on at 9pm)

(also Electric Kompany, Marco Cappelli,

Do Shadows Savage, Swim This, & Blarvuster)

Friday, March 30th

8pm-2am $12

Galapagos Art Space

70 North 6th Street

Brooklyn, NY 11211

http://www.galapagosartspace.com/directions.html

It'll be worth the dinero and the time to catch this unique trio.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Damn. Dan C is freakin' BRILLIANT. I would love to see him play.

Unfortunately, I have to attend a varsity softball parent's meeting tonight. On the plus side, my Katie's the varsity catcher as a freshman...

Push the button Frank.

Bump o' luv for the C,P, & S gig at Galapagos tonight in the BK.

Really, if you can make it, it will be worth your while. All three musicians are excellent. The music they play will be fascinating.

And, getz76 has given some support re: the quality of the venue.

Peace.

--ModDub $$

spreadluv

Archived