Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You guys ever into The Atlanta Rhythm Section?

Dr. Ellwood

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange computer happenings (Or new drug effects)It said I left a reply and checking, there was no post from me.

Don, to make is short, yes. Bill Payne and I joined them on a 6 show run 2 years ago. (It may have been 3) It was great as they we only doing a show or 2 a week so it was laid back and relaxed.

They were doing strictly for the fun of it and had all sorts of guest show up.

The kids on several nights. Former Doobie members. Some very L O N G jams. They even had the bus driver come out and do Southcity Midnight Lady with them.

It was also the last time I saw Keith Knudsen alive. He was pretty sick during this tour and died in 2005 of pneumonia. I never did get the full story of his illnesses but it was bittersweet watching the crew help him on stage and the small green O2 bottle next to his kit.

There has to be 100 pictures from those shows as Bill had just bought a very expensive digital camera and was taking pictures like an Asian tourist.

Peace

Guitars ring in the dead of night, sing so blue, sound so right ...

I don't have that album anymore to listen to the original. For some reason my chord charts have different words for the chorus after the Hendrix verse:

He's homesick, for days gone by.

Homesick, to kiss the sky.

It doesn't sound like something I would've ad lib-ed, OTOH, twenty years ago is a long time. :smile:

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

I was working at a hotel outside of Atlanta in 1999. One morning a band started loading into a meeting room for a CD release party and record label announcement, just a small gathering of record people. I noticed that one of the monitors had ARS stenciled on the side, but I've seen gear traded and sold and many groups end up with each other's equipment. I didn't think much of it. A little while later I'm in my office and I start hearing "So Into You". I walk down there to find ARS ripping it up. I didn't get much work done that day. I love ARS.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Guitars ring in the dead of night, sing so blue, sound so right ...

I don't have that album anymore to listen to the original. For some reason my chord charts have different words for the chorus after the Hendrix verse:

He's homesick, for days gone by.

Homesick, to kiss the sky.

It doesn't sound like something I would've ad lib-ed, OTOH, twenty years ago is a long time. :smile:

John

Yep you are right B3, those lyrics are from the Travis Tritt version of it, I couldn't fine the ARS original lyrics last night.

Strange computer happenings (Or new drug effects)It said I left a reply and checking, there was no post from me.

Don, to make is short, yes. Bill Payne and I joined them on a 6 show run 2 years ago. (It may have been 3) It was great as they we only doing a show or 2 a week so it was laid back and relaxed.

They were doing strictly for the fun of it and had all sorts of guest show up.

The kids on several nights. Former Doobie members. Some very L O N G jams. They even had the bus driver come out and do Southcity Midnight Lady with them.

It was also the last time I saw Keith Knudsen alive. He was pretty sick during this tour and died in 2005 of pneumonia. I never did get the full story of his illnesses but it was bittersweet watching the crew help him on stage and the small green O2 bottle next to his kit.

There has to be 100 pictures from those shows as Bill had just bought a very expensive digital camera and was taking pictures like an Asian tourist.

Peace

Well, isn't that cool? I'm glad I got to see you!!! In all honesty, I've loved the Doob's for ever....esp. the first several albums. That show did truely bring tears to my eyes, I'm not ashamed to say. Great playing, delivered with spirit, playing great songs. It's hard to beat that. THEN, to bring on their kids.....it was just so obvious how much fun you guys were having. And, it pulls on your own heartstrings to see the guys' kids playing with them on some of those classic hits.....Just cooler than words can describe.

Thanks for a great show :thu:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Don,

Thanks. Means a lot to me as I am one of those "guys in the band" that gets lost in the suffle even though that is the way I have choosen it to be.

It was one of the best times I had touring. Every show was different. There was a set list before each show but it was thrown away after the 1st song.

It almost brought tears to my eyes to see Tom and Pat trading licks after all the years. It was great to see Tom healthy and truely excited about music again.

It was more of a family event for all involved and I think it came across to the audience that there was something special going on and not just a "concert"

Peace

Yes, it was a special kind of show. Pat is always so fun to watch. He's got that friendly smile going....very engaging stage personality.

Tom looks so intense!! He looks like he is kicking ass when he sings!! I really enjoy the intensity. Those guys flat out wrote some great songs. "Captain and Me" is classic. I love "Without You"...

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Archived