Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New FM sounds for the Kurzweil PC2 and PC1!

MikeNZ

I just got a new sound bank for the Kurzweil PC series that does FM synthesis! These are totally new sounds for the PC series and bring a previously hidden synthesis method to this keyboard, dubbed KFM. You thought the PC1 series couldn't be expanded with new sounds, well you were wrong! They are software patches, and don't require a ROM card.

You can find out about them here, with sound demos and a patch to download to you keyboard. http://www.dlnsound.com/products.htm. Only $20 for 69 sounds.

Includes some classic DX7 sounds, classic FM sounds, and some more modern creations. They are clean, smooth, and glassy - like a DX7 but without the low-level noise. They use the Kurzweil controllers so you get control over timbre and other parameters, just like good old FM. It feels and sounds SO much better than playing a sampled FM sound.

I'm seriously digging my new PC1X. I got the Classic Keys ROM for all those 60s and 70s sounds, and the KFM sounds now gives me those 80s sounds I remember from my youth.

Michael

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those have been around awhile, though not well known or publicised, but you might be the first one on this forum to actually plunge for them and try them out. I didn't find the posted demos very convincing, but for someone who wants some DX7 sounds in a single gigging keyboard it could make for a convincing case.

I forget, but isn't the PC series limited to two FM operators? You can still do a lot with that, but I'm not sure you could really fully replace a DX7 or equivalent with this sound set. Still, it's good to hear some positive feedback about it. I handed over some printouts on these sound sets to the guy who bought my PC2r on Sunday, so I'll recommend them to him now.

I think I recall Kurzweil reps (either here or at the NAMM show) saying that the PC3 will accept PC2 series programs on SysEx load, so that your investment would carry over if you upgrade later on?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Yeah, they have been around for awhile, but I only came across them by mistake and figured that a lot of PC1 users in particular would never find them, since they have a preset-only machine with no expansion capabilities beyond the Classic Keys ROM. Well, at least that is what they have been led to believe...

Im not sure how many FM operators it can use. Paul at DLNsound will know. Im guessing 3 as the PC2 manager showed 3 sound layers per patch.

KFM does a very good job of emulating some classic DX7 presets like THAT piano, and the tubular bells. I think they sound and feel better than ROMPLER samples of a DX7 you get that smooth pitch and velocity scaling that is characteristic of FM synths which overall makes for a better feeling when playing it.

From my point of view I got 69 new sounds on my PC1X for $20, with the FM EPs in particular sounding better than the PC1 FM EP presets (well, IMO at least). Some of the FM synths are cool too, giving some different sounds than the stock PC1 sounds. As good as the preset sounds are on the PC1X, having a few more to choose from is nice. Even if I find only 1 sound that I use and enjoy on my gigs it is worth the $20. Ive already added the DX7 EP sound to my list of sounds to use, and expect to find a place for a few others.

BTW, the PC2 manager can apparently deal with the PC1 series not sure exactly what it can do as I only just got it and havent had a chance to play. You can download it here. http://kurzweil.sonikmatter.com/files/PC2_Manager_V1.0.zip

Michael

I've never been a fan of the DX7 electric piano sound, but the vibraphones in the this collection are outstanding (I have them in my PC2r).

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I've had this collection for several years, and I love it. It contains many programs that combine FM and VAST techniques to produce very rich and responsive sounds. As stated above, the vibe program (which uses additive synthesis) is simply amazing. Paul is a very brilliant programmer!
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Glad to see some others have found some good sounds too. I've only had them for 2 days, and have added 2 of the songs to my must use list. The Press Pad is a huge evolving pad, with sensitive aftertouch control - I'll be using that one soon.

You can view the sound list here: http://www.dlnsound.com/guides/kfmcolselprogs.pdf . Note that the sound sets for the PC1 are from the KFM Sel, so you don't get all of them.

I did some serious A/B playing with the KFM digital EP and the PC1 presets. IMO the KFM EPs win on clarity and sparkle, and have that in-your-face cutting attack that the PC1 versions don't quite manage. If you listen closely to the PC1 presets you can hear where the sample split points are - the upper two octaves lose the high range 'ping' a bit. The KFM versions obviously scale perfectly through the registers, from the highest to the lowests notes, and through velocity, and this enhances their playability.

I like some of the synth sounds too. The PC1 seems to have mainly (or all?) analog-type synth sounds, and FM digital synth sounds are good to have. We play some 80s rock tunes that I am sure will find space for some of them, and maybe even some of the organs, since none of the PC1 organ sounds are cheesy enough.

I would love to see an entire bank of additive synthesis sounds. I'd pay $20 for that, no problem.

Gotta get my breath controller working for those last two sounds!

Michael

I forget, but isn't the PC series limited to two FM operators?

Per VAST layer, indeed 2 operators can be realised. By using multiple VAST layers, this can be augmented. E.g. by using three VAST layers, a total of 6 operators can be realised (3 branches of a modulator and carrier each), just like algorithm 5 on the DX7.

Paul Dillen

DLN Sound - FM sounds for Kurzweil *NEW* Forte, PC3, PC2, PC1 and K2 series

Archived