Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Too Quiet Tonight, so I thought I'd...

mdrs

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don,

You are right, it's loud. :-) I was never a fan of any of the three but no one cae say they can't paky.

Peace

Zub...I like Satch, and Vai...but, I can only really enjoy about four or five songs. After that, it strikes me as repetative.

But, in small doses, they can be just what the wank doctor ordered!!! LOL

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

This is a perfect example of micability of amps.

Notice Vai is always the loudest. Its because Satch and Petrucci or Satch and Yngwie have tons of saturation and compression.

Vai has never used as much gain so he punches through the mix.

I dunno what he is using, I heard live he uses Bogners but I have also heard he uses Legacy amps.

If you use less gain you will be heard. All those killer VH tones are deceptive. They don't have nearly the gain people think they have. Its all percieved tone, which is ultimately in your hands.. But the less gain, the more thats apparent. Thats what I think anyways. To a degree the 'distortion' is in the hands.

One more thought, you lose that 'clickity clackity' coolness that Eddie and Vai have, the more gain you use.

Its starts to get soupy. Then the clickity clackity is gone forever. Gets lost in the soup.

If someone told me, "no soup for you!" I guess I would be like, "thats fine, hows the clickity clackity?"

Notice Vai is always the loudest. Its because Satch and Petrucci or Satch and Yngwie have tons of saturation and compression.

While, I agree with you completely about gain, I don't think it's fair to mischaracterize Petrucci or Satriani based on a single video clip (though, you can definitely say Malmsteen uses too much gain; he always has).

Anyway, go watch any of Petrucci's performances with his band, Dream Theater. Not nearly as much gain there. Outstanding tone, even for a metal guitarist, who so often get misrepresented as ignorant douchebags who wouldn't know what tone was if a Matchless DC30 hit them on the head.

And as for Satriani, yes he probably does use slightly too much gain live, but as for his albums, I've never felt that way, nor am I a gainhead.

Shut up and play.

One more thought, you lose that 'clickity clackity' coolness that Eddie and Vai have, the more gain you use.

Its starts to get soupy. Then the clickity clackity is gone forever. Gets lost in the soup.

If someone told me, "no soup for you!" I guess I would be like, "thats fine, hows the clickity clackity?"

also any pics of Vai's guitars will show he has some distance between the strings and the pickups. which will give a clearer tone.

Fumbles... where in the hell do you find these guys? His mama should have made him wear boxing gloves to bed so that he couldn't spank his monkey that much...

Thanks for the laugh...

Woof

Im not ripping on Satch or Yngwie or Petrucci, just an observation. I mean my buddy Joel has seen every G3 concert and he said Vai is always the easiest to hear.

When I listen to him, you can hear every picked note. If I listen back to Vai since I first heard him when I was 16, I have always noticed that he uses less pregain than the others. Thats why you can hear all the little things he does.

This G3 will have Paul Gilbert. Gilbert is one of the original 80's shredders. I heard his new album. Sweet for a guitar spazz cd and his tone is improved from the old ADA days.

But the thing about Vai, its all that percieved tone stuff.. You really don't know how much gain he has, it sounds like he has 'enough'. But I know from playing through a few amps that the biggest most micable clickity clackity tones are unforgiving even though they sound like they are.

You know the hands of the player determines how they sound cuz the tone is kind of neutral.

Technique is priceless. The more ability you have to play without gain the more you can use nuetral tones that will allow that pick attack to shine. Also the more power tube interaction you have the more complex every pick attack will sound--you know like old VH.

Well the VTM is more of a preamp sounding amp but yes that is a VTM. They were/are very cool amps. One of the coolest Peavey amps I think. They mic well, and are quite unforgiving. They will trick you. They were Peavey's attempt at the Marshall JCM 800 modded sound, but with the dip switches so you could tweak it.

I was able to even get a pretty big boingy clean sound out of it if I turned the pre stages off and didn't use much pre. Has a big sound to it no matter what.

I mean it is what it is. But they are cheap. It isn't going to be as high quality as a boutique head, but it will smoke alot of amps for what it does cuz it has a real tone. I mean you can effect it with your playing. It punches through nicely if you set it up right.

Some would say they don't like teh flabby/buzzy low end, but alot of that is how you play through it and whether you use compression (i don't).

My buddy had a Marshall output transformer put into his VTM by Bruce Egnater and he said it was like a JCM 800 with more pregain--if you wanted that. But the reason he did it, was to make it distort in the power section more because he told me Peavey doesn't run the plate voltage hot enough to get a ratio of the distortion from the power tubes.

Just spouting information I heard from my buddy. He ended up selling the VTM and buying a 68 plexi era marshall and doesn't use much gain now compared to the old days (this was in like 1989 or something)

Cool. I saw a 60-watter for 200 bucks, and while I'm not gassing yet, I figured one of these days it might make a nice Metal Zone replacement. That pedal is starting to drive me nuts, especially considering I have some much nicer low-gain pedals. I just wanted an idea for something further on down the road, since I'll probably try to find a good Fender Deluxe Reverb first.
Shut up and play.

Archived