Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your favorite Strat P/U position

Hardtail

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use them all depending on what sound I want but I definitely favor the neck overall.

:idea: We should make babies :whistle:

ew.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

My Kinmans are wired so that I can get all three together or just the two outside pups (which gives a very Tele-like tone). The only positions I don't use are the all three combo and Middle pickup alone (although one of my favorite players, Anson Funderburgh, uses it exclusively).

You have a G&L Strat?

Keith,

I have a G&L Legacy. Are you just busting my chops? :)

My Kinmans are wired so that I can get all three together or just the two outside pups (which gives a very Tele-like tone). The only positions I don't use are the all three combo and Middle pickup alone (although one of my favorite players, Anson Funderburgh, uses it exclusively).

You have a G&L Strat?

Keith,

No. Just curious. I couldn't tell from your avatar what kind of Strat that is.

I like different positions depending on the material, but I'm fond of the neck position followed by neck/middle unless I'm using heavy distortion, in which case the bridge is the thing for me.

I became interested in the neck position from SRV when he first began gaining notoriety outside Austin and strictly Blues circles. He's almost always a neck position guy, although I really love when I can hear him switch to another position in Couldn't Stand The Weather.

I like the meat of the neck/middle compared to the relatively weak sound of the middle/bridge position. I'm with others here in saying the middle p'up on its own is virtually useless to me.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'm with others here in saying the middle p'up on its own is virtually useless to me.

I'd like the switch at #3 to be bridge + neck (magically phase corrected while I'm dreaming) instead of the middle pickup, everything else being equal.

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

my favorite position is usually the bridge bucker!

my pacifica ( yamaha superstrat) is equipped with a humbucker in the bridge.

of course i dig all the positions and sepending on what i am doing i use them all. the middle is probably the best sounding position for strumming, it is most balanced that way on my guitar.

as for anything blues like i prefer the neck. and for funkiness the bridge/middle.

i like them all.

You have a G&L Strat?

Keith,

No. Just curious. I couldn't tell from your avatar what kind of Strat that is.

Sorry! Yeah, it's a G&L Legacy that my wife bought for me for Christmas 2004. The color is Fullerton Red (which is pretty orangey), with a cream colored pickguard in which I installed Kinman pickups.

I've basicly gone hybrid in my last two guitars that I built. I love the neck, neck/middle out of phase, and middle/bridge out of phase strat type sounds. I rarely like single coil bridge sounds thought they have thier place. I also have have a humbucking bridge sound. So I made a couple of guitars that have all the sounds I want. First try was a Carvin bolt kit which is argueably a better guitar than my much more expensive Warmoth guitar. I prefer the shorter scale of the Warmoth Les Paul so thats my main.

I have Kinman pickups in my Warmoth (neck and middle) and they sound fantastic and are uber quiet, even quieter than the Duncan '59 HB bridge PU. I love the single coils for blues and jazz sounds but must have the HB for singing lead tones. I just can't live with a pure Strat or a pure LP anymore, I have to be able to get multiple sounds from one guitar.

Archived