Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stereo USB mic?

konaboy

Hi y'all

i have been considering a hand-held audio recorder for jams, practice sessions and gigs.

One option would be using a laptop with some USB external hardware. I imagined that a stereo USB microphone would be very convenient but all I can find on Google is gaming headsets.

Comments?

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This month's cover story in Electronic Musician magazine features a review of several USB microphones from manufacturers like Rode, Samson, Marshall/MXL, Blue, etc., but none of them is a stereo mic. That said, I don't know why anything would stop you from simply running two such mics into your laptop and recording both channels at the same time if, indeed, you want to record in stereo using USB mics (as opposed to traditional mics with an outboard audio interface or a stand-alone handheld recorder like an Edirol R09 or Zoom H4).

Personally, I'm GASsing for a MOTU Ultralite and a pair of Rode NT5s to use with my laptop for similar recording purposes. Unfortunately, 1000 bucks of recording gear isn't in the budget right now. :-(

Noah

I'd say Zoom H-4. It's a standalone, but can also be used as a USB audio ddevice by your PC.

I've seen several USB mics (and I have one - a Snowball), but don't recall seeing a stereo one.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Howdy Noah - - Are you sure? I'm SO not the technical guy around here, but on page 21 of April EQ, it says "MXL USB Stereo Condensor Mic".

I noticed it last night because I've been using one of their mics since they first came out. Then again, this unit might not be exactly "handheld" for what Konaboy needs.

And - - if you guys don't mind a question - I basically understand the concept/reason for phantom power on a mic. With a USB mic, the USB port is going to now provide this power, right? Does the USB power (and then therefore the sound/efficiency of the mic match up to the power you'd get from a pre-amp?

ow do these two different power

Good luck though!

Most any phantom mic can be ran down to 9V or so. It does limit the headroom accordingly, but I've run them at 9V with little problem.

Some mics internally convert the 48V phantom to whatever voltage the manufacturer decides to use.

Ed's right (and so was Radd): MXL apparently is making a stereo USB condenser (with the dual capsules in an X/Y pattern). That said, I don't believe that that mic was among the models reviewed in the latest edition of Electronic Musician that I referenced in my message. Accordingly, I think the statement I made -- that none of the USB mics reviewed in that issue is stereo -- is still correct. I'm at my office, however, and I don't have that issue in front of me, so I apologize if I misspoke. (Radd: I don't have the April issue of EQ, but I was talking about a different magazine.)

Anyway, it looks like the MXL USB.007 may be just what Konaboy was looking for.

Noah

Accordingly, I think the statement I made -- that none of the USB mics reviewed in that issue is stereo -- is still correct. I'm at my office, however, and I don't have that issue in front of me, so I apologize if I misspoke. (Radd: I don't have the April issue of EQ, but I was talking about a different magazine.)Noah

No problem - it was my one chance to contribute something

product/tech related here - a big thrill.

The MXL unit we're talking about looks just like mine, which is why it caught my eye last night. I've used it as the primary vocal mike the last several years. As such, it gets handled with care - and in my experience, totally requires a shockmount. (hopefully they've made the shockmount a little more durable). I'm just not sure if this would make a good hand held mic - - although I'm quite sure that for $200, it's a great value.

Great posts, thanks to all who contributed.

yes, that MXL looks just the ticket! And $199 is about what I had in mind too.

Now then. I have looked closely at the H4 Handy Recorder, however I am a bit turned off by the comments about flimsy build quality and awful user interface. plus I don't need all those fx and 4-track bells and whistles.

The H2 (to be released in May) looks better for my purposes and hopefully will have improved stereo recording interface.

I wonder how the laptop-USB Mic compares against the handheld recorders for sound quality and flexibility. The difference in portabality is fairly obvious! ;) I already have the laptop, so the price is the same...

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Archived