Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Weather Report DVD due out April 2007

Phil W

Here's a picture for you, Davo!

http://hardbop.tripod.com/images/shorter.gif

Yes, I'm watching Santana/Shorter at Montreux and, you're right, Wayne never smiles onstage; not that it ever bothered me. He plays stunningly though on all 3 DVDs I have featuring him.

Just realised I have 3 DVDs with performances of Elegant People now. Actually my favourite is the Santana/Shorter one - you have to hear it. That is a great DVD. The rhythm section of Ndugu, Al Johnson, Armando Pereza and Chepito Areas. Patrice Rushen plays wonderfully and Shorter has a romp.

I thought Badrena was a bit loud on Elegant People but the music balance settled down. He plays some wonderful percussion throughout. Acuna was a great drummer for that band.

Now I want to watch the WR Montreux DVD again!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm curious what some of the keyboard stuff is that Zawinul is using that I don't recognize. Most notably the thing that is making all the crazy high pitched noises during "Badia".

My take on that is that it is some kind of triggered sample - probably of a sped up vocal or some other treated tape recording.

Isn't that an awesome version of Badia?

Whoa!

I had the pleasure of playing both Weather Report DVDs in succession yesterday afternoon. That was fun! :grin: I have a slight preference for the Live in Montreux '76 show but both are completely essential for WR fans to have.

Thoughts:

Both groove mightily, Jaco can play so much (or little) and still groove!

1976 - The interaction between bass, kit and percussion is incredible. The sense of exploration and improvisation surprised me a little and reminded me of the Vitous or Johnson bands. You really got a feeling that the tracks could go anywhere. Scarlet Woman is amazing and the version of Barbary Coast made em wnat to learn that line. The audience is a little taken aback not quite so familiar with WR as the huge name band. Zawinul seems hapy to take more of a back seat at times than the later DVD. The music is very, very intense.

1978 - Anybody name all those basslines Jaco quotes in his solo? His solo is interesting as it is a lot more composed and arrmged than say his improvised solo on Directions on the first DVD(and a lot less musical) but less of a self-parody than some performances. Compared to 1976, WR arrangements seem a lot more pre-arranged and composed with slightly less of an exploratory feel. There is a lot of excellent playing though within the arrangements - and a greater dynamic range than on the 1976 DVD. The material was a lovely surprise for me as 'Punk Jazz' was the only WR album I hadn't heard - and based on reviews I didn't expect much of the material. But I was wrong - tracks like Mr Gone, Young and Fine and The Pursuit of the Woman in the Feathered Hat are great compositions and get the performances they deserve. Zawinul leads from the front a little more. Erskine sounds like about three guys. The show is a lot more theatrical but the theatre comes off and the crowd go wild.

Did you hear that guy in the audience at the end of Jaco's solo? :grin:

Jaco is simply breathtaking on both DVDs.

Having read Zawinul's tribute In a Silent Way (lent by Phil) I must say that Acuna seemed to fit the WR format better than Erskine. I saw them both at the concerts I went to as a youth and remember Acuna doing a solo with one hand in the air, ie look what I can do with three limbs! Acuna seems to have more variety in his arsenal - he was also a percusionist as well, indeed he started in WR as a percusionist. I think this shows on the DVDs.

What came out of the book for me was Zawinul's personality (strong, ruthless, driven etc)and the fact that Jaco was really the only WR player to ever penetrate significant influence over the Zawinul-Shorter axis. For a short period there were three people involved and it coincided with WR's most successful commercial period. I don't really get involved in the best WR period debate as the whole stock is noteworthy and just shows a progression.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I don't really get involved in the best WR period debate as the whole stock is noteworthy and just shows a progression.

Davo

I totally agree, and the progression is the point. Guys like Wayne Shorter, Joe or Miles Davis can't stand still musically. Anyway, I always find that I vary in terms of which period WR I want to listen to. I have a particular affinity for Live in Tokyo, Mysterious Traveller, Black Market and Night Passage but the truth is I love them all - maybe This is This is the only one not really worth buying. The success of the box set for me, even though I already owned 95% of the music was discovering how much I loved the Hakim/Bailey version, which I had previously not really gotten into and led me to exploring that period.

It's a neat book, I got a lot out of it. I agree with your comments about Pastorius. He became a co-leader and he had the musicality and the personality to do that.

I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship these two dvd's to me. I guess I shouldn't have waited till after my vacation to order them... Hopefully by the end of the month they'll be here.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know where I can buy a copy? Everywhere I look it's listed as unavailable. I knew I shouldn't have waited so long to get it.
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

Yea, I'm going to have to look elsewhere. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon and this dvd was one of em... needless to say about a month and a half went buy and they finally emailed me saying it's unavailable.

At least I got the Joni Mitchell Shadows and Light dvd from em (as well as the Montreau Jazz Festival one).

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Some more Weather Report from 1975.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plBG-jW3rM

Stunning piano from Joe on Silent Way.

(different tour to the Montreux DVD)

Part 2 (Boogie Woogie Waltz)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwoKM94SPdU&mode=related&search=

Bad sound, great music!

It's the burning Al Johnson, Chester Thomson, Alex Acuna rhythm section!

Archived