Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ashdown Perfect 10 Mini-Rig

Cthulhu Fhtagn

Man, I HATE starting a new topic for something this mundane. I seem to have a little problem with the search feature right now (keeps telling me to try again in a few minutes).

My trusty, dependable, built-like-a-tank Hartke B150 finally gave up the ghost at the Wednesday jam session. For those of you who do not wish to foul your search engines with the word "Hartke", it's a 5", 15W practice amp. I had it for 5 years and never overdirven it. I guess it's a good run for a Hartke product - maybe I'll dink with it later, but for now...

So, I need an amp that's smaller than my Peavey TKO 115, but larger than the B150. My AMS catalogue arrived in the mail today and there's this Ashdown Perfect 10 Mini. Hmmmmm, 65W (more than what I need for the bar), under $200 US. The manufacturing data is a little vague, even on the website. Any Ashdown users out there? Is a British manufactured amp going to cause me problems with serivce later? Any additional recommendations in the 30W range for about $200 that's NOT a Beringer?

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=144

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Mr. Claber on the Perfect 10 - I played one and found it to be more stylish novelty than a real amp - and I use an Ashdown head as a primary so obviously am not a basher.

However, the smaller Peaveys have always lacked "balls" for me. I think you need to up your ante and shop for a used SWR working Mans 10 or 12. (NOT the L.A. series) Excellent little amps with suprisingly huge tone.

Just my opinion mind ya.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

they have them in my college rather boring amps tbh

i have a ashdown c210 t 300 and i'm geting the 10" cab for it

ashdown are alright amplifiers especialy for us students going rather cheap although they won't blow you off your feet

give me a trace elliot any day of the week though :D

www.myspace.com/bobbytheone

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/product_info-1618.html

TranzAmp B40. These are the overseas (Korean I think) brand that GenzBenz makes.

I have a B20 and I like it. The tone is good and the amp has been dependable for me. In retrospect, I should have gotten the larger one.

I'd like to reiterate my initial post. These amps are generally overlooked and can be hard to find, but sound great.

I tried the Ashdown at a store, and didn't think very much of it either.

For a few years I used a SWR Workingmans 10 (which Tom Capasso helped me score for a really good price) for rehearsals, theatre gigs, coffee houses, etc. where I didn't need a lot of power, but I needed a decent sound. At a couple clubs, I brought in the WM10 and used the house cabinet as an extension cab ... and with a little EQ tweaking, it sounded just fine.

I think it weighs in at around 38 pounds, puts out 80 Watts, has a single 10 and a horn (which you can switch off, and should - because it's fizzy and hissy).

Archived