Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buzzing Nord Electro 2

Kayvon

I've been borrowing a friends Nord Electro 2 for a couple of weeks now. It was gonna be a week but he doesn't seem too bothered about picking it up so i'm gonna see if he wants to sell the thing as i'm really digging the organ section. There's just one problem and that's a buzzing sound coming from the unit.

I've eliminated the possibility of a ground loop by plugging it into its own wall socket (UK 240v, the unit is marked on the back for 230v though) and not having it attached to any other gear. The buzzing noise happens as soon as I turn it on. It's the same type of buzz I get from a well used D-50 I own.

So today I rang the UK distributor to see about replacing the power supply and they should get back to me tommorrow but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing on their Electro 2? Did you get it fixed or do you just put up with, it doesn't really bode too well for the future so if I offer to buy it off the guy I need to weigh in the cost of the replacement.

Thanks for any replies/advice,

Pete.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never seen this on several Electros I've owned in the US. Is this coming from the outputs into an amp or just a buzzing from the unit in general? Have you heard it through the headphone jack? Not sure if you have a bad power thing going on or perhaps a defective output jack. My Electro is dead quiet.

It's coming from the unit itself. It's not amazingly loud but it is noticable enough in a quiet room when not playing. I could prob put up with it but since i'd be buying second hand I just thought i'd run it past some other Electro owners to compare just in case.

I just checked the headphone out and I found it only outputs into the left channel unless you give it some pressure upwards. That could suggest its had a knock downwards on the phones jack. Hmm, maybe this Electro has had a bit of a rough handling in the past. Everything else seems fine on it though.

That 240/230 V disparity doesn't seem to have affected my Electro, which I imported from the US and switched internally. While I was inside the unit doing the V switch I made sure everything inside was tight and snug. It's never worked better.

Btw, those guys at Hand-in-Hand (UK) are quite helpful, if a bit slow in responding. Try and get Scott to deal with your case (he actually sent me over a new bottom chassis without my having a UK warranty!) :cool:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna see what the UK distributors say and also first see if my friend is up for selling.

Hey Cliff, I checked out some of your youtube vids, great voice man, keep it up.

Archived