Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Tablature For Michael Mcdonald Songs [Help]

bobbytheone

Ok i'll start off by introducing myself,

my name is bobby i'm a 18 year old music student from newcastle england. I'm a bassist although i dabble with other instruments, as much as my playing isn't half bad i am very bad at attempting to learn songs from ear, (teaching yourself from tablature isn't the ideal way you should learn bass or any instrument) i would love to be able to play these songs with fellow students although i can't work it out so at the risk of being ridiculed i am asking if anyone would have the bass tablature to the following songs

I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Michael Mcdonald

Aint No Mountain High Enough - Michael Mcdonald

Thank you

Bobby

www.myspace.com/bobbytheone

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bobby, Welcome to the Forum. I was interested in your post stating that you would like to play without the aid of Tabs. I think that is great and the sooner you start the better. On the songs mentioned, why can't you work it out by yourself? Do you have the CD's of these songs? Are you having trouble hearing the bassline?

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

i am just useless at identifying the note or notes being played, it's always been something i'v found tricky

i looked at the song and tried to have abit of a go at it, i'v just started recovering from glandular fever so i'm abit exhausted and most of the time tired so i can't really sit and put my mind to it at the minute

but yeah i'v always had trouble identifying notes etc etc

Bobby

i guess thats the way i'll have to do it

me and a few friends from college are going to start a motown style band it's what all the oldies want around here in the pubs and clubs lol

i have about 30 songs to learn, i could no bother with tablature but by ear is abit tricky to me lol

thanks for all the replies guys i'll take a look at that book :)

I think the more you use tabs, the more you will be dependant on them. Maybe if you start with very simple songs with simple bass lines you could improve your ear.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

if i have a go at it, and tab it out, would somebody check if i'm right please?

Cheers

Bobby

Have a go at it, and write it out in standard notation.

Forget about tab.

If you don't know how to write in standard notation, I think it would be helpful to learn it. Take a class, or buy a theory book, or even do some of the many online music theory tutorials.

You could check out this site:

http://www.musictheory.halifax.ns.ca/

It's Gary Ewer's Easy Music Theory site. He sells a CD of his music theory course, which includes lots of multimedia stuff, but he also has all of his printed lessons online for free, so you don't have to buy anything (just click the Free Lessons button, and scroll down a little).

(after checking out his free lessons I bought the CD, and I'm glad that I did).

That course will give you enough information to write out the songs you're playing in standard notation in the first few lessons.

:thu:

(...and get Standing in the Shadows of Motown too - it's a great book!)

:D

I agree about learning standard notation rather than tabs. As you get further along in your musical endeavor I don't think you will be seeing songs written in tabs. If your going to put all that time into learning something, might as well be something that will be common around all kinds of musicians. Just my 2 cents... Good luck with your music!

yeah i'm currently taking theory lessons in college and what they call "rock school" basically instrument tuition

if i sat and thought about it i could write in "dots" as we call it in college

thanks to everyone who has replied i'l get working on it after college today :)

Thanks Guys!

oh and just out of curiosity, does anybody or has anyone ever owned a marcus miler signature fender jazz?

Bobby

Marcus?

:grin:

Sorry.

Yes, listen to the Motown originals. Get a copy of Standing in the Shadows of Motown which has those tunes written out in standard notation with a CD of the basslines.

A bargain at Amazon right now

It might be a tall order to start a Motown cover band yet. The basslines are very sophisticated and musical - sure, have a go, but bear in mind that you have to really have your stuff together to perform that material live :cool:. Nothing wrong with aiming high though!

Avoid tab, it is addictive.

Welcome to the forum.

yeah i don't have a problem with playing i can play most things put infornt of me but i'v always ben lazy and just foud tab instead of acctually listening and figuring it out myself

have you not heard of marcus miller?

Bobby

The little smiley that Phil inserted tells us that he is joking. You'll have to look long and hard to find someone on this forum who hasn't heard of Marcus Miller.
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

I've met him.

http://usera.imagecave.com/feilik/02-07-06_2103.jpg

;)

I didn't mean to disrespect your playing. I was just warning you that playing Motown charts well takes a very high level of skill and awareness of feel. I still find it a challenge after over twenty years playing. I think it's more of a challenge than playing jazz or fusion in many ways.

Be aware that the guys that played the orignals were improvising most of their parts from some written notation. The important thing in playing this style of music is in matching the feel and sense of momentum, melody and adventure that the initial improvisations created . . . as well, of course, of creating the spirtiual fell of the music.

Playing music is not just about putting your fingers in the right place.

Give it a go, you'll learn a lot from the experience - perhaps more than you realise. I don't mean that negatively! :grin:

Get well soon, mate!

yes sorry about that i didn't mean to sound like i was snapping back, i'm a novice maybe i am jumping the gub abit with motown it is tricky (my aunty seams to think have a backing track for bass is fine and also said to me motown bass lines are easy) i was rather dissapointed that she didn't have a live bassist let alone say it was easy!!!

the little smily logo didn't load when i replied lol, i feel abit stupid now i see it lol

it's obvious marcus miller is a legend hence my suprise when i thought he hadn't heard of him, at first i thought i'd mispelt marcus and was being corrected lol

thanks guys for not having a negative attitude to a novice, it's nice to get tips from older wiser bassists

Cheers

No problem, Bobby. It was a bad joke on my part. I was just answering your question as to who might own a Marcus Miller signature Fender Jazz very literally! Sorry!

:blush:

Have a go at the Motown, just make sure you listen to it a lot to cop the feel and simplify the parts where necessary. Some of the tunes are easier than others.

yeah i'v been listening certain songs seam very basic and others are largely complex lol

couple of weeks practice with some motown albums should hopefuly do the trick, i just need to start listening better and hopefully picking it up

i can read notation it just takes me longer i have to work it out lol!!, so i chose tablature as the easy way out gimmie a few weeks at it and se how things are then :)

oh and nice stuff on the myspace, cissy strut is my favourite ;)

Just watch the Commitments movie. I thought it was actually reasonably realistic for a movie.

They pulled it off pretty well.

Bernadette and What's Going On can wait for later.

I've got a high school student whose high school has a huge Motown show band. They do a fantastic job. My student has been playing bass for three years (although she has been playing piano for her whole long 16 year old life).

One of the most successful Motown show bands in the San Francisco area was started by a guitarist who had never played in a band before.

Go for it, dude! (now I'm speaking in Californian)

Welcome Bobby!

Sounds like you're on the way!

My band does the Commitment's flavor of Mustang Sally. Lots of great music from that movie.

As to the Miller Fender bass, many have tried it. But there are so many great basses out there to choose from!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived