Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hot Plate? Air Brake? Ultimate Attenuator?

b3_john

From the Hiwatt thread:

I've heard Hi Watts in concert settings and they are good for loud clean and slight crunch. I don't think they would work well in club settings.

Hot Plate or Air Brake? That should do it. :thu:

How do those two compare to the the Ultimate Attenuator? Can anyone compare/contrast the different attenuators out there? I know a guy who is playing an Ultimate Attenuator through a Blues Deville 4x10 and a Lonestar 4x10, he says its the only way to play through those amps at smaller clubs. He has never tried anything else (like the Hot Plate or Air Brake), so I thought I'd check here.

What is the downside besides you'll burn through your power tubes faster?

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry I can't compare it to anything else, but I'm quite happy with my THD Hotplate. I actually mounted it on the back of my Blues Deluxe. The only negative I've read is it colours the tone when you highly attenuate (I know that doesn't sound right, but I'm sure you get my meaning) but I haven't noticed a degradation of tone at all. I like to set everything up on the amp where I like it and those amps dials don't move, I do my overall volume control at the Hotplate, and always get the same amount of overdrive irrespective of volume. It makes more sense to me to actually overdrive the amp than to use a pedal, but I know I'm in the minority.
www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

The Hot Plate is cool, but most who have compared them agree that the Air Brake is more transparent. I never heard of the Ultimate Attenuator.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

The Ultimate Attenuator is a small boutique-type builder of attenuators. Its the only one I've been able to test so far and only because I know someone who has one. Its OK, but very pricey.

One of the local guitar shops has a Marshall Power Brake in the pedals case but the salesman -- very quietly -- says he doesn't like them. Huh, go figure...

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Archived