Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Effects Pedals Do You Live By?

Zuben

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not an effect per se, but my H&K Red Box is the tool I could not live without in current circumstances.

The next essential would be my Ernie Ball stereo volume pedal.

If that doesn't count, then I would take a CryBaby wah. Everything else I can live without or compensate for with other techniques.

I'm not fussy about brands but I always need an echo and an overdrive/distortion. Currently I'm using a Digitech RP100 for both purposes, although I am using the unit's amplifier modeling in lieu of an overdrive/distortion.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

my old tube amps are sweet like they are - but I do use a Tubescreamer with em - kinda like a poor-mans attenuator. I use a Zoom G2 with some SS Amps I have but with my tubers - it's just a tubescreamer or nothing... course it's blues and "back in the day" we didn't have a lot of pedals... my 1st pedal in 1973 was a Morley Volume Pedal (hundreds) and finally a year or 2 later I went out and bought a Phase Shifter... but I'm usually not a pedal kinda guy... course back then I was playing on a 1970 Marshall 100-Watt Super Lead and man oh man - that thing didn't need NUTHIN'!
"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

I really like the sound of my Fender Tube Amp.

I put some damn good tubes and speakers in it to tweak it out even more.

But when it comes to effects, I've been through a crap load of them to include single pedals & multi units.

Now, I'm using my BOSS ME-50.

I only use the natural gain from my amp so all I need are the Echo, modulation, & wah effects.

Plus, being an all in one unit, I can program and save my favorite settings whereas you can't do that with singular pedals for the most part.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/PRODUCTS/com/ME-50/images/top_M.jpg

Randy

"Just play!"

I really depend on my Z.W.Over-Drive...

I can get the drive with it without turning my amp to 6 (which is really really loud-to loud for my music room.)

I use my EVH P90 alot it cleans my muddy marshall up with it turned down.. If you turn it all the way up it gives some cool sounds also..

I used to use multi effect units but thought that my tone was really lacking the -lets say -chug-chug-chug of a low e tuned to d ..

The od gave me the thick drive that I was needing..

So with that said

--Prob. the Z.W.-O.D.

Take Care:

The Diminished Mind

Dude Absher

http://members.soundclick.com/Dude+Absher

I use my Zoom 606 a lot, but at the last gig, I managed to misplace the wall wart, and just used the O/D channel via the footswitch on my bud's JCM 800, and was quite happy.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I have a Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler. love it can't live without it.

I have a Crybaby Wah. love it can't live without it.

I use the Korg GT-12 Tuner.love it, but could live without it.

the rest is me, amp(mesa/boogie studio caliber dc-2)and guitar.

the amp is most of my sound and thanks to Myles111 and his advise

on some tube replacement to tame my amp a little. It the best

amp I've ever played on.

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

On days when I use effects: my TS-9, Crybaby Jimi Hendrix wah, DigiTech Crossroas pedal (or DS-1 -- depending on my mood). CS-3, NS-2, DigiTech RP-50 (I use it as a stage tuner mostly) and Mini Q-Tron.

At practice though, I've been using my Vox AD30VT with no pedals other than my wah and the RP 50, to shorten setup time and so I don't have to carry as much. I almost alwas use effects when I'm using my Fender amps.

Turn me over, I'm done on this side...

I use my Zoom 606 a lot, but at the last gig, I managed to misplace the wall wart, and just used the O/D channel via the footswitch on my bud's JCM 800, and was quite happy.

At times I think about selling my JCM 800 and getting something new...

..but it has been such a great product, never has left me soundless and takes what ever I give it...It has had me think more than twice..

Take Care:

The Diminished Mind

Dude Absher

http://members.soundclick.com/Dude+Absher

Strangedogs,

You made me smile. You brought back some very old memories! My 1st band and for many years later, I used no pedals. The only foot switches were the ones that came with the amp. Reverb and Tremolo. You dialed in the amp and used the volume and pickups on the guitar to modify your sound.

Tuners? LOL If you were lucky, you had a B3 or Rhodes player. If not, tune before the gig and everyone tune together between songs. No telling how sharp or flat you were! We were luckier than most, "Mothey" Goodwin had close to perfect pitch.

I got two of the first effects. One was an overdrive that plugged in to the amp between the cord and amp input. Looking back it was nothing more than a prepamp that over drove the amp.

Then I spent a fortune on a CryBaby. I was the man! LOL (I still play that same Crybaby)

Peace

The only one I use almost everytime is my BBE Sonic Stomp. I have a BBE 882i rackmount that gets used a lot too. I absolutely love that thing for the T5 and vocals. It gives such a clean, full sound to the mix. Oh, I guess it counts as a pedal but my TU-2 tuner gets constant use too...

Well personally I would never leave the house with out my Big Muff, Black Death Trash Metal Stompola, Uber Grundge Overdrive and pointy guitar mega polishing cloth!!!

Ellwood, I'll be the first to laugh at your joke. Don't forget this one when you play out too: http://www.americanmusical.com/images/d/p18212d.jpg

Your Yngwie Malmsteem Overdrive Pedal...$29 at your local guitar shop.

Well personally I would never leave the house with out my Big Muff, Black Death Trash Metal Stompola, Uber Grundge Overdrive and pointy guitar mega polishing cloth!!!

Ellwood, I'll be the first to laugh at your joke. Don't forget this one when you play out too: http://www.americanmusical.com/images/d/p18212d.jpg

Your Yngwie Malmsteem Overdrive Pedal...$29 at your local guitar shop.

WART! you da man!! you know I did have that one in mind! but I was torn wondering if it might make my signal to harsh..I mean with those other peddles I have a near perfect and quiet tone! OK thanks NOW I'm gassin' for that beauty!!! I guess I got to head for the goodie store again!!!

Zuben - right on - we used those "knobs" on the guitar and I did have footswitches on my 1st SUNN Beta Lead (Marshall never had one - at least mine didn't...)

I'm playin on this baby right now - almost full time - with a Tubescreamer it's

wicked... Tremelo AND REVERB too - 1963 Acetone Duetto... almost MINT except the leather handle rotted off (metal ban still there and works fine)

http://home.comcast.net/~trivialpersuit/onlinestorage/acetone1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~trivialpersuit/onlinestorage/acetone4.jpg

had to have it as my Marshall 100-watt head in the 70's was a RED 100-WATT SUPER LEAD head (sold it by the 80's to buy more drugs...)

And this old No-Named amp from the 60's (been told now it's MULTIVOX) - that when turned to 10 (15-watter maybe) this "point-to-point", Handwired little Mama sounds like an old Poor Man's PLEXI... and the tremelo on this one is PURE CCR - "Midnight Special"... can't beat the oldies sometimes. That Marshall made me "see God" the 1st time I got to turn it WIDE OPEN ;)

http://home.comcast.net/~trivialpersuit/onlinestorage/6e_1.JPG.jpg

"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

Archived