Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Irrational dislikes?

Phil W

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would recommend highly to everyone to check out the live at pompeii dvd as (bar a few dated and cheesy visuals)it is a great document of the band fairly early on in their career.

I saw that in the cinema once - good stuff. Much prefer that to their later stuff.

Yourlord, I recommend Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash on the country side and Common and Outkast on the hip-hop side. I don't want to get into a debate on the merits of either genre as that's a different kettle of threads. I think most of us have entire genres we dislike, though not necessarily comment on.

To try and put a positive spin on this disaster area of a thread:

I've found that over time I've grown to like/appreciate some bands I didn't particularly care for previously; or just sort of dismissed.

Examples:

Pink Floyd. Wasn't hugely impressed by them and in a lot of cases thought they were overrated. Then a friend of mine asked me to perform in his senior recital at college. The material: Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety. That event forced me to buy the album and sit down to really listen to it. Now I really like Pink Floyd and own most of their 'big' albums. Good stuff.

Rolling Stones. Flat out hated them with the exception of a few songs; "Paint It Black" being one of them. Over the last few years I've grown to like them quite a bit. I've even started buying their albums now - which is something I swore I'd "never do" as little as 5 years ago. Hearing "Satisfaction" and "Jumpin Jack Flash" still makes me want to kill though... I can't stand those two songs.

My point? Try to stay open minded about music you dont like. One day you might find your new favorite band is one that you previously did not care for.

Yourlord, I recommend Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash on the country side and Common and Outkast on the hip-hop side. I don't want to get into a debate on the merits of either genre as that's a different kettle of threads. I think most of us have entire genres we dislike, though not necessarily comment on.

I tried to word things to indicate that while I indict most of the bands/groups/idiots of those genre as being worthless garbage, I reserve some respect for some of their output. Just not much of it.

Actually I dislike *most* Willie Nelson, quite a bit. And feel Johnny cash was waaaaay overrated.

In those cases it's almost always certain songs, and not necessarily one particular group, that I like.

That's actually true of even the genre I favor. Even among rock and metal (2 genre I favor), the vast majority is terrible (myself included).

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

I tried to word things to indicate that while I indict most of the bands/groups/idiots of those genre as being worthless garbage, I reserve some respect for some of their output. Just not much of it.

In those cases it's almost always certain songs, and not necessarily one particular group, that I like.

That's actually true of even the genre I favor. Even among rock and metal (2 genre I favor), the vast majority is terrible (myself included). -yourlord

Sorry man, I misunderstood.

Terrible can be a good thing. Ask Gengis Khan!

I appreciate elements of music I don't particularly like because there's something to be learned from everything in the world, even if I don't like the process of learning them.

For example, I don't like Journey much--I find Steve Perry's voice annoying, and a lot of the music is overly schmaltzy and dramatically corny to my ears. However, I'd be a fool if I couldn't hear the power of those mighty melodic hooks and arrangements.

Never shut off your ears--there's always something to hear.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Well, The Wall was meant to be watched while tripping..

:rolleyes:

I'm serious.. I'm pretty sure they had it in mind when they made it, and if not, it still makes more sense in that context.. At least it seems to. I really can't stand to watch it anymore though.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Well, The Wall was meant to be watched while tripping.. It makes more sense that way.

In the 60's I watched various films both straight and while tripping, Blowup, 2001 and Magical Mystical Tour, were among them.

If a movie doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, while tripping everything makes sense, until you come down and can't remember why.

Never understood what the Syd Barrett myth was all about - I always disliked Relics.

Relics..?

Well, it's just my opinion and all, but I think "the Syd Barrett Myth" was born from the way that Syd had a degree of charm that Roger Waters never had and never will have. Syd was whimsical and he was clever and witty and basically, fun. Roger Waters' version of Pink Floyd was a lot more po faced and "committed". Not that Syd himself wasn't committed for a while too.

If you listen to "The Piper At The Gates of Dawn" you'll immediatly notice that he came from a much more experimental place than the rest of the band put together. Sure, the acid played its part in Syd's vision. But it was a pretty amazing vision.

Some good Syd songs? "Bike", for one. How can you dislike a song that includes a mouse called Gerald? Or one about an "Effervescing Elephant" (with a tuba bassline even!). And how can you not like a guy that exclaims, "'Cause I know what you are! You are a Gigolo Aunt!", and leaves you to work whatever that means all by yourself? :grin: And from "The Madcap Laughs", I particularly liked "Here I Go" (where his efforts to impress a girl with his songwriting end with her commenting, "A brass band is better than you!"), but there's a few good songs in there too.

If you want a good Syd album, get "Barrett". That's basically Pink Floyd (sans Waters) fleshing out songs that Syd had already started.

RE: The Wall

I should have taken a trip before watching it. Straight as I was, it felt a lot like a Tommy ripoff. Or was it just me?

Well, The Wall was meant to be watched while tripping..

:rolleyes:

I'm serious.. I'm pretty sure they had it in mind when they made it, and if not, it still makes more sense in that context.. At least it seems to. I really can't stand to watch it anymore though.

I get what you are saying. The Wall is one of my favorite movies. I saw it while stoned silly years and years ago and frankly, the altered state made it a horror movie. It is much more easily understood with a clear head. Some people like that sort of imagery; some do not.

The exact same argument could be made concerning the work of Salvador Dali. The Persistence Of Memory

Maybe Alan Parker intended The Wall to be viewed under the influence of a mind altering substance, but I strongly suspect not. I cannot believe that any "serious" artist would prefer that his art be absorbed in that manner. It takes too much away from the experience.

That is not to say that music and movies have not been produced with tripping in mind. The Magical Mystery Tour may well be one of these. 2001: A Space Odyssey, in my opinion, is not. I've never seen Blowup.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Personally I loved The Wall, I've lost count of how many tapes I've worn out in the car stereo. I loved the record and it was a few years before I actually got round to seeing the film. At a midnight cinema special showing I was subjected to a lot of second hand smoke, and came out of the film a bit Dazed and Confused. It was shown a couple of years later on the TV and made much more sense to me then. I've now got it on DVD but haven't watched it yet. Personally I think its more of a piece of Artwork than a meaningful film, but there is some substance there.

Regards Rap, I really liked the Marshall Mathers Album by Eminem. Once you get past the language, the poetry and music is quite different to anything else in any other genre. Its not something I listen to everyday, but may see an airing once a year when I am in a particular mood in the car on my own.

But I think Phil's main point is irrational dislikes, where there is nothing obvious to others why you don't like something, (or maybe do like something)

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived