Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Irrational dislikes?

Phil W

I've been playing and listening to music for long enough to know that there some value to be had in nearly all music. But there remain for me some groups who I just don't appreciate. I'm figuring it's probably an emotional response to their music.

I'm going to name four groups who I've never really appreciated despite being well aware of their qualities as appreciated by others. I'm not dissing them - just wondering what it is that turns us on or off music. I'm also not talking about whole genres that some people find difficult e.g. gansta hip-hop or death metal.

With some recorded exceptions, I don't enjoy:

U2

The Who

Genesis

Pink Floyd (although I enjoyed their earlier records)

I don't want to make any enemies, I just wanted to open up the whole issue of musical preferences to debate.

And is there any link in those four bands (admittedly - all of which have one or two individual tunes that I enjoy)?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see where you're coming from Jeremy. It's good to be positive and usually more productive. I was careful only to name bands that are generally well-respected and famous that are generally acknowledged as as great bands. I'm just fascinated by the emotional reaction which people have to music and the disparity of those reactions.

I will agree with you Phil, the first three have never moved me to want to listen twice. I will say some of the early Pink Floyd was interesting to me.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Phil, are you looking for a punch in the bracket? They're my top four favourite bands :wave:

as far as U2 goes I really only like the Blood Red Sky album and the Vertigo album. The Gensises and Floyd I like most is pre '87. Up until recently I only liked the Who are You Album, but the 'Best Of' has opened me up to more of their tunes.

I think a lot of it is the 'music is the soundtrack to the film of our lives' effect. When I was 17 I was introduced to a lot of groups that I still listen to, Marrillion, It Bites, and Rush to name three that I don't know if I was introduced to them now I would give them a second listen, however, I still buy Rush, Marrillion and Maiden albums.

A lot of people (not me) love the Beatles. Some are obsessional, but those people seem to be in their early sixties. Another late teenage influence maybe?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

OK. I'll bite.

I saw the Who and Pink Floyd when I was a teenager and bought their first records right when they came out.

I stopped paying much attention to the Who after Keith Moon died.

And I never liked Pink Floyd as much after they stopped doing Sid Barrett songs. I bought tons of Beatles records in high school.

But I don't listen to old music and get all nostalgic. I am always listening to something new and my taste changes over the years.

As for the "list", you can put Tom Petty on there for me. I just don't get it at all. What does he do that is original or meaningful?

Marrillion says nothing to me as well as Beatles.

I can't stand hip-hop don't ask me why but i just don't like it.

Oh Gun's and Roses, Whitesnake and Nirvana go on the same pot, I had to play songs by the three bands at some point in the past and I trully didn't enjoy.

Usually even if I don't like the songs if the band where I am playing wants to play it I'm fine and eventually I start to like it, that happenened with every music from Kaiser Chiefs. But that three there I would rather not to play them ever again.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Do you dislike them, or is it more a feeling of just 'take it or leave it'. Can you identify what is lacking?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I don't like Duke. Not really happy with Michigan, either, but I guess that's the Buckeye in me. No use for USC, either. Can't handle a college whose mascot is a condom.

On a more serious note, the whole genre of nu-metal is lost to me. I can't see the popularity in lifting Metallica riffs and screaming "f*ck" into a microphone repeatedly. But I may be generalising...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I'm singing this note 'cause it fits in well

With the chords I'm playing

I can't pretend there's any meaning here

Or in the things I'm saying

But I'm in tune

Right in tune

I'm in tune

And I'm gonna tune

Right in on you

Phil: I'm suprised you don't dig Pete's songwriting. And Roger's scream on "Won't Get Fooled Again" is only surpassed by Joan Jett's scream on some tune I forget the name of. OK, so I am given to hyperbole. But check out the "Classic Album" DVD of "Who's Next" the next time it's shown on VH1 Classic. I'd send you my copy but I'm not done with it yet. "Who's Next" is one of the first records I can remember where I could actually hear the bass. Keith's drumming is controlled mayhem. Give it another listen, maybe? Sing along really loud. Twirl a microphone if you've got high ceilings. How cool is that!

Jeremy C.: I agree with the Tom Petty thing. Pink Floyd thing: Do you really think the stuff with Syd is better than Dark Side? And the guitar solo on "Another Brick in the Wall part II" is (again, pardon my hyperbole) minimalistic perfection. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time I hear it.

+1 for new stuff. I mostly have a hard time buying a CD of something I had on Vinyl. A few exceptions, but just a few....

That was fun!

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I have a take it or leave it feeling with the Who and U2. Same with AC/DC. I agree that just about all music/bands have something good.

I never really got Bob Dylan either, but sure do appreciate that others do.

The Beatles, Neil Young all of the blues artists fasinate me (all for different reasons) so what do I know?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I might be the only person in the country or perhaps the entire world who never listened to Dark Side of the Moon all the way through. As a matter of fact, I don't know if I've ever heard anything from the album other than "Money" which of course I transcribed.

And since shortly before Dark Side of the Moon, Airto came out with "Tombo in 7/4" on his Fingers album, Pink Floyd's idea of how to play the time signature didn't seem so interesting or noteworthy.

i generally agree with jeremy that it's more fun to talk about the music that turns me on than the stuff i could do without. but i really enjoy the near-universal shock reaction i get when i state i don't like led zeppelin. it's really funny.

i usually get shock from musicians when i say i don't like primus. they're always like, "but.... but you're a bassist!" ;)

robb.

I might be the only person in the country or perhaps the entire world who never listened to Dark Side of the Moon all the way through.

Nope. I've never listened to it all the way through either. :thu:

BTW... when you guys say you dislike a band... do you dislike the actual band or just the fans?

No good can come of this thread. It's already engendered some (admitedly childish) hard feelings in me.

As much fun as it might be, I think I'll keep my list to myself.

Push the button Frank.

Personal likes and dislikes for "Very Popular Bands" proves how we all differ. There is certainly nothing wrong with that. I personally dislike the music of many super entertainers, I can't see why anyone could possibly enjoy that stuff. But I must also realize that many (or most) of the great people on this Forum problaly don't like the music that I really love. That is OK, we do have many things in common and I can enjoy discussing those things.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I listen to Dark Side Of The Moon all the way through about once a month, so let's just say that I enjoy my Floyd. Also, I cannot fathom having never seen any of the Star Wars movies. Of course, I was nine years old in 1977. It was mandatory.

Moving on...:smile:

Two of my primary dislikes are the same as they were in the old "Bands you Listen To Only For The Drummer" thread; Nirvana and the Dave Mathews Band. Thoroughly dislike the bands; totally dig the drummers. Irrational? Perhaps.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

No good can come of this thread.

I like Carter Beauford's drumming too. I have no idea what Dave Matthews is singing about. I can't understand a word and the songs don't have much in the way of tunes.

But it's a good band, they don't really annoy me. :/

I'm glad we don't all like the same bands. That'd be pretty boring.

I'm happy to nail my colours to the mast and state that I'm a fan of Pink Floyd. Dark Side is frequently figures in greatest albums of all time and I concur with that view. Never understood what the Syd Barrett myth was all about - I always disliked Relics. Counterwise, I've never particularly been bothered by the Who. I don't like Entwhistle's playing. U2's Joshua Tree remains their zenith and contains some classic 20th Century tunes.

Not sure where I stand with Genesis. I was more of a Yes fan. Not to be confused with "yes man". That's another topic!

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I agree with a lot of what is being said here.

U2 has never really moved me. I've tried listening to them, but I just get an overall "meh" feeling. I've never really listened to The Who. I guess they just don't really speak for or to my generation.

If you fast forward a bunch of years....

I don't really like Godsmack. They just don't move me to do anything. I've listened to every one of their albums multiple times and I've covered a few of their tunes. I just don't dig them.

Phil W. , I really don't find anything irrational about your dislikes. I can agree with you on your choices, there is plenty of music that I like a lot better than the stated groups. People may find my likes and dislikes irrational. We are all different. :thu:

I never cared much for your first 3. Early Pink FLoyd is awesome stuff, if for no other reason than it added a special atmosphere to some stupid things I did in my youth (Dogs, OMG!)

I *hate* U2.. Seriously.. I'm neutral on The Who, never really liked em but I can stand to hear it. Genesis never did anything for me either and is a little farther down the meter than The Who.

For me, I generally dislike most Pop music. I hate Hip-hop, Pop, bubble-gum rock, whatever you want to call it.

At the bottom of the spectrum is most country music (shoot me in the head please), and absolute bottom of the rung is crap, err, I mean rap..

These are my opinions, and I know it's different strokes for different folks.. I'm sure most of you dislike a lot of the music I hold near and dear to my heart..

In almost all music there is usually something I could appreciate, but more often than not there is something involved that precludes me from being able to enjoy the good (quite often the singer).

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Be prepared for your tastes to change though. I know there are artists that I've grown to appreciate. Country music is definitely one that I've learned to love after initially not appreciating it having heard so much bad country in the UK. My post really referred to band dislikes within genres we appreciate.

My dislike of Genesis and Pink Floyd mught be seen as being down to having been in a very dodgy prog band in my early musical career. But then again, I already disliked them before. The heavy, repetitve way we played odd time signatures seemd at odds with the more flexible and natural use of odd time signatures I'd heard in fusion and folk music. Thing is though, I appreciated Yes, King Crimson and others but not Genesis. I even had a lot of time for Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel's solo records.

THere'ssomething about the atmoshere created by the music of those two bands (Genesis/Floyd) that just repels me - weird. I wonder if my music has that effect on anybody!

I think watching the Wall seriously put me off Floyd. That was the single least enjoyable movie I've seen. I used to play Animals and Wish You Were Here a fair amount but eventually tired of them.

I don't particularly dislike the Who, just never felt inspired by their music though I recognise their innovation and spirit. U2 created their own sound but just not anything I'd enjoy.

Yeah, like ive said before, I am a hge Floyd nut and I find the Wall movie to be a bit tiresome. Basically I feel the Wall (although I do love it) is the Floyd's most overrated release. Meddle is a much finer album but is probably the most underrated in the catalogue (im not including more and obscured by clouds in this as they are technically soundtracks). I would recommend highly to everyone to check out the live at pompeii dvd as (bar a few dated and cheesy visuals)it is a great document of the band fairly early on in their career.

Well, The Wall was meant to be watched while tripping.. It makes more sense that way. Sober, it's about as boring as anything can get.

I lumped all country and rap together as genre's because, well, I've found few examples of either that have much in the way of redeeming attributes.

So, you can name pretty much any band/group/idiot in either genre and they would likely fall in my "why?" group.

I don't think I'll come to appreciate country, ever. I'm 35 now and have hated it my whole life, and if anything the hatred is getting stronger.

Also, Yes is one of those bands that kills me.. I LOVE their music. Great stuff in general. But man, their singer makes me want to stab red hot ice picks in my ears.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

My irrational dislike? Stratocasters. I can't stand playing them (though one of my friends says "You just haven't found the right one yet- you will in time"); I generally don't like hearing them; yet some of my favorite players are Strat-guys. I love what they're playing, and sometimes how they sound; but generally I wish they were playing those glorious licks on something with some humbuckers. Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck, Steve Rothery, Clapton... My prime example is the Derek & The Dominos album. Great playing, but the guitar tone is so harsh & thin & tinny. (Nasty tinny things- you can't beat good wood!) I'd like to think that if they wre playing Les Pauls & ES 335's that the album would be perfect for me.

Ironicly, I'll cut a Telecaster a little more slack; even though they can be harsher sounding. I guess that it's the raw, "honest" tone of a Tele- say, in the hands of Roy Buchanan it's a harsh weapon but it's just ... there. Not that I don't wish that some songs with a Tele were done with buckers; but not all, I guess.

Like the topic says, irrational.

Just like I dislike Dave Matthews, primarily based on his vocals; yet I like Peter Gabriel. I think their vocal styles/sounds are fairly similar; one's just British and the other too American garble. IMO

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

absolute bottom of the rung is crap, err, I mean rap..

When did that stuff get moved into the "Music Catagory"??? :D

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Archived