Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How can I get the Roland Jazz Scat Sound

pjpastir

Hello Group,

I bought the S90ES last May and I am having the time of my life with all the sounds. Tonight I was on Ytube and saw a guy playing a patch on a Roland 700SX stage piano called Jazz Scat that is 4 layers doo-bop-dit and dow and it was so much fun to listen to and enjoy. Is there a patch like it for the S90ES or can I import one or what can I do to find something like it to set up ???? I could even play Bach 2-3 part inventions with this and have fun !!!!

Thanks and best regards

Paul

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could start with soundfonts available on the net for free. There's a scat sound from the Rolands if i recollect correctly. You could download that into some sampler you have. Dont think the S90ES has a sampler in it.
Dont follow me....i'm lost too....

IIRC, those jazz vocal/scat samples were exported to Roland by Eric Persing from Spectrasonics' Vocal Planet collection. Yes, no, maybe? You could buy that sample library which has a TON o' vocals.

I still love the Kurzweil Take 6 library for jazz vocals. Doesn't get any better than Take 6, does it? If you find a copy of the CD-ROM, it can probably be converted from Kurzweil native format by most software samplers.

Regardless of format, the S90ES would not be able to load those samples. I believe one of the Yamaha DPs has those sounds. Maybe that is grounds for a new PLG board. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I don't actually use jazz voices but do use some other voices not found on the S90ES. I do have some sample collections and have sampled some voices on my own. Now days alot of collections come with light versions of samplers ans there are some light versions or demo versions out there. As long as you don't want to do something terrible overwhelming, you may be able to go this route. If your using a computer with your S90ES, you can really use computer as a sequencer and sampler and really open up a large world to enhance the S90ES.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

On My RD700, I have had more fun jamming with the voices on jump blues or jazz sorts of themes. I have even used them I time or two live. Solo to add harmonies at the end of a song, that's neat. And with the band to phatten up an acapella part.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I wouldn't knock myself out or go to the ends of the earth to obtain that sound. It's novel and fun for about 10 minutes, but not very practical.

I agree. I have the Take 6 vocals on my Kurz. It may be interesting for a few experiments, but it can easily fall in the cheesy category if you use too much of those samples.

I agree with Moe and Cy. Novelty sounds wear off very quickly. How many folks still use that DX7 Rhodes, Roland "Digital Native Dance" and Korg M1 "Pole" today? :P:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I have to respectfully disagree with Moe and Cy. When it had already been on the market for several years, I used the Take 6 vocal library + one live lead singer for a jingle project that won a Telly Award. Five years later, it's still on TV because the client loves it. Maybe it is a tired sample set but I still find it a very useful tool for writing and demoing backing vocals that will later be replaced or blended with real singers.

Especially because Antares has yet to develop a plug-in that can make my singing tolerable.

Especially because Antares has yet to develop a plug-in that can make my singing tolerable.

when you find that product let me know as my singing needs something, hell it needs anything to make it better. The best solution right now is someone else singing. :crazy: :grin:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I have to respectfully disagree with Moe and Cy. When it had already been on the market for several years, I used the Take 6 vocal library + one live lead singer for a jingle project that won a Telly Award.

I thought we were talking about a Roland rompler preset, not a multimegabyte sample library.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

I was working on a girl's cd project and she was in the booth cutting vox and having a really tough time. The engineer looks over at me and says, "sounds like a pig giving birth to broken beer bottles."

Gerard Gibbs Used the scatt voice combined with a B3 Solo

http://gerardgibbs.com/music.htm

Although cute IMHO the overal album was Boring and Like all about jazz states "Alongside the classic funk of ORGANized Crime, the leader adds sampled scat voices in ensemble form to Killer Joe, Lately and his original, Lets Go. The result is somewhat forced. Unnatural and nearly lifeless, the vocal ensemble samples stand out in opposition to what Gibbs is trying to communicate here. "

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/reviews/r0202_108.htm

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

These Roland jazz scat sounds are also available in SRX-06 and SR-JV80-13 expansion boards. If you have practically any Roland rompler from the last 15 years laying around to put them in you can go that route.

I believe that's true, but they are laid out VERY nicely on the RD700SX and I think the same on the RD300SX. I have not found the SRX06 patches to have any where near the same playability.

Busch.

I didn't know they weren't the same patches. I don't have an RD-700SX, but I recently picked up the Vocal expansion board off eBay for $95 and the RD-700SX scats sounded similar. That wasn't the reason I bought the board though. I don't use the jazz sounds, so I'm not that familiar with them. I bought it for the choirs, which are gorgeous. I combine them with other elements in the patches I use in a praise band.

But WHY would you want them?? :grin:

ba doo ba da ba dee wha da wa didibop doodybop didybop

:D

Because they cause the listener to sit up and listen. Why do so MANY keyboard players (around here in particular) insist on putting themselves inside these boxes where only a handful of "bread and butter" sounds are acceptable and the rest are labeled cheesy?

Busch.

Archived