Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another re-discovery - Leslie West

trader56

Digging through my old albums for guitar gods, I came across all my old Mountain albums! Of course, Leslie West was the powerhouse behind that band, and I'd forgotten just how good he is.

So, after Googling in Leslie to find out what's new, I see that he's lost a TON of weight! I remember him as the giant that sort of dwarfed the guitar. Looks he's healthier now and still going strong!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait till Ellwood gets a hold of this thread!

Yes, Leslie is not as much of a Mountain as he was back when he was The Great Fatsby. He still wails though.

Felix certainly was a great musician/producer and SINGER - loved that voice! What a great loss.

Leslie West did a killer version of "Dear Prudence" on "The Great Fatsby", and I have never gotten over "Mississippi Queen". But my favorite Mountain song is "Don't Look Around". Les was an amazing vocalist, too, and that song really shows it.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

I've always been a big fan of Mountain. To be honest though, being a bass player at the time it was Felix Papalardi's bass and vocals that at first drew me in. Then I saw them in the early seventies and was blown away by Leslie. They were playing in a small club in Long Island just a few weeks ago, and I missed them. I'm still pissed that Felix's old lady killed him!!!

I've always been a big fan of Mountain. To be honest though, being a bass player at the time it was Felix Papalardi's bass and vocals that at first drew me in. Then I saw them in the early seventies and was blown away by Leslie. They were playing in a small club in Long Island just a few weeks ago, and I missed them. I'm still pissed that Felix's old lady killed him!!!

He played at Bald Hill a few years ago which is only 10 minutes away from my place. I'm hoping he comes back.

I gotta have a piece of this action....Leslie West...where do I start???

First, he's got a girl's name. LOL!!

The guy is likely the best two finger (I think he actually played with three!) lead player ever.

He may be physically fat, or thin-er (LOL), but his sound was never thin. His early Mountain playing is the stuff of legend. The studio guys used to set up his SIX MARSHALL 100 WATT FULL STACKS, all set on 10, push record, and LEAVE THE STUDIO!! You gotta respect that!!! LOL.....

What'd ya say????

I'm not sure how well know it is, but he played on a couple of he songs that Pete Townshend laid down for "Who's Next" in a studio in NYC before Pete headed to England to complete the album and have a nervous breakdown!!!!

Leslie is the epitome of tone, but also of economical lead. He just plays THE RIGHT NOTES!!! Pretty much sums him up. Well, his lead playing anyhow.

I too feel his vocals are amazing, and major. I saw him a couple of years ago, and he can still wail.

BTW...he's still pretty obese. But, who gives a crap. That body can still create some tonal bliss!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Archived