Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Visual Sounds H2O

durguitar

do you like/dislike this unit? Impressions that you'd share?

I am thinking of getting a dely/echo for no more than, and preferably less than, $200. I like that it also has the chorus with it in a stompbox package.

Or, any suggestions?

thanks,

durwood

knowledge is power, but ignorance is bliss

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own one and I can't say enough good things about it in the value-for-performance category. The chorus sounds great, nice and liquidy (although more on the vintage side; if modern sounds are your taste, then I suggest a different unit, such as the Boss CH-1), and the delay is awesome too. I find that it is far superior to any digital delay I've heard, and it gets great sounds anywhere from slapback delay to longer tape-resembling echoes.

Granted, being more picky, you can find superior echoes. The discontinued Way Huge Aqua Puss is awesome, but a used one runs for over $800 on ebay. mdrs has said great things about the Hughes and Kettner Replex. And I've read great things about the T-Rex Replica. Also, I would mention the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo, but at over a grand, you probably aren't even close. Again, all of these units probably sound better, but they're all very high-end boutique effects that will easily cost upwards of $300, sometimes, even used their that much.

Shut up and play.

I bought the H20 a few years back and loved the sound, but sold it.

I did have a problem with it though.

The volume of it would change when you clicked on the chorus I think.

I never could resolve the problem so I sold it.

Another thing is...that you you can't save a preset on the chorus or the delay, which would be fantastic.

So if your delay & decay time is different from song to song, which is normal...you'd have to stop, stoop, and change your settings, all the while the crowd is having to sit through it.

Now if they had a preset in that thing, that would be perfect!

The newer units may be better and if so, I would buy another one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=82060&g=guitar&src=3SOSWXXA

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/graphics/articles/reports/h2o_157x150.jpg

"Just play!"

They still have the volume issue (at least, the white knobbed ones ( the newer ones) that I bought in fall 2004), but it doesn't bother me. I like the boost on it. I find choruses often tend to be weak sounding at that is exactly why I liked this one. So, perhaps the designer liked that too, who knows.

Also, I'm never playing live, so having presets makes no difference to me.

Stratgery, what pedal do you use that has presets? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Shut up and play.

Thanks guys,

The things you guys wrote back up what I have read elsewhere. I like the old school chorus sounds and the knob-tweak thang. Presets are nice, but I can't think of a stomp box(especially for the price) that has preset-ability. What I have read about the volume thing sounds to me like buffer vs true bypass and compatibility with other pedal issues. I saw some posts about volume loss, and other posts expressing the opposite experience.

I am pretty amazed at how people rave about the delay, especially since it is not described as a delay pedal.

I'm gonna try one out for sure.

thanks again,

durwood

knowledge is power, but ignorance is bliss

Yeah, I was the same way. I originally was buying it looking for a better, more vintagey chorus to replace my Boss CH-1 unit, which was good for what it does, just not my cup of tea. It did the 80s thing well, but not much other than that. The H20 is much more versatile and seems to pack a sweeter tone overall. But I, like many others, mostly use the pedal for delay now. I use a small amount of delay on a lot of things, so for that, it works wonders.
Shut up and play.

Hey Revolead, actually, I now have the Boss ME-50.

It's like a few stomp boxes in one unit.

Just dial in your sound...and save it.

There are no models in this unit.

In the Virtual Sounds unit, I love the SOUND it has, but when you're playing live and cut on one of the effects, then your volume either drops or increases, that can really throw a kink in your stage and/or in house volume.

Just my opinion, but that's the problem I had with the H20.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ME50-Guitar-Multiple-Effects?sku=151304

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/9/2/8/367928.jpg

"Just play!"

I had one, liked the delay very much, but I sold it because in the yaer I had it used the chorus TWO (!) times. I ended up buying a Line6 Echo Park for use in solo's (has tap tempo) and a cheap delay for slapback (on pretty much all of the time) - added bonus: the 2 units take up less space on my pedalboard than the H2O

I got my H2o a few months back and I love it... I had some tone and volume problems with it at first and I had it set up first in my stomp line...I changed it out to my last pedal and it's working fine now... EOY turned my on to this and I'm glad I got it...

Another satified customer,

Woof

Man that sounds nice! A revamped Echoplex. Let me ask you amp expert guys something, 'cos I am wondering if the Deluxe Reverb on this clip is a) a vintage one or a new one and b) has been modified.

My question is does a new '65 Deluxe Reverb sound this good? ( Talking about the mp3 clip on the site Ell posted )

Fumble, I don't know if that one is original or reissued? However, what I do know is: a reissue Deluxe with about 20 hours playing on it, sounds every bit as good as an original! oh and so do the SuperReverbs! I have personal knowledge of both these amps, I can't comment on the Twin! That Fulltone tube echo is just freakin' amazing!!!

I dunno about the Deluxe Reverb thing. I've heard a '68 original that sounds absolutely amazing and then I put a reissue against it, simply not the same. However, as is the case with many tube amps, sometimes you roll across a treasure and sometimes you have just a normal amp and sometimes a bad amp. There is no sense in buying a '65 just because it was made in 1965. You have to buy it because it genuinely sounds better than th reissue or something else. I'd love to own one, but it is my experience that many Deluxe Reverbs have exactly the above described problem. They're either amazing or worthless.
Shut up and play.

Ramp, if you get a chance play one of these! I guarantee if you do...it WILL follow you home!! http://www.fulltone.com/tte.asp

Ellwood, I believe you told me about that a while back... damn bud...I've heard em but I can't afford it... Besides I was using up the rest of my Sam Ash gift card when I got the H2o... But you're are absolutly correct...That Fulltone is Da Kine Brudda...

Woof.

PS...Years ago I had an Echoplex that was amazing... But I guess the half a hand job that stole it along with my Tele thought so too...

Archived