Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cool old synth LPs

ksoper

I've begun restoring my vinyl.

I knew that I had kept my synth albums when I got rid of a bunch of lps, but forgot what they were. Found a copy of Dick Hyman's "The Electric Eclectics of Dick Hyman." The album was given to me by a friend at her yard sale--she had no idea where she had gotten it, but was fascinated by the artist's name. I don't think I ever listened to it, as my turntable was up in the attic. Time to rectify that.

Also found Hans Wurman's "The Moog Strikes Bach...," Mike Hankinson's "The Unusual Classical Synthesizer," "Everything You Always Wanted to Hear on the Moog," from Kasdin & Shepard, and "the nonesuch guide to electronic music" from Beaver & Krause.

This is going to be a fun project. I started with the Wurman as it had a bad warp and I wanted to see how well the plug-ins worked. The results were pretty good. It'll be nice to have all that stuff on my iPod.

Anyone else have vintage synth vinyl?

Ken

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't have the original vinyl, "The Nonesuch Guide To Electronic Music" has been reissued on CD by Collectors' Choice. Growing up, I was fascinated by this album.

Dan (no connection to them)

(Off-topic: Collectors' Choice has reissued a lot of other great stuff, like the Baroque Beatles Book, and various Everly Brothers albums.)

I've also got Everything You always Wanted To Hear on the Moog. Only trouble is that it isn't. At least it wasnt last time i listened to it around 30 yrs ago.
I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

Vangelis, "Heaven and Hell"

Ultravox, "Vienna"

I'm also in the middle of a big vinyl restoration project, recording them all to hard drive, but I haven't gotten to the U's and V's yet. It's time-consuming, but it's worth it- I've done some side-by-sides where they're coming out better than the actual commercial CDs.

Archived