Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

American Idol

UTS-D

So my girlfriend and I got to attend last night's performance of American Idol and what I came back with is "Rickey Minor's band is seriously bad ass and watching them on TV does not do them justice." What a fabulous band and that's one hell of a bass player.

As for the singers...seeing them live it's really apparent who is leading the band and who is just singing karaoke. But it's like Simon always says, "You've either got it or you don't." And just because you can sing doesn't mean you've got it. If I was in charge of the voting, none of the guys would be there.

But let's get back to why I posted, I would LOVE to have Rickey's talent and job. Holy...Crap...I think him and his new orchestra just needs to hit the road on tour for a while. That would be incredibly sick! I watched him play and thought "OOOOHHHhHhhhhh......so that's how you play bass..."

The End

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does this band do the "American Idol" tours with the "losers"? I think that the house band for "Rock Star: Supernova" tours with those who didn't land the coveted ( :rolleyes: ) lead vocalist slot for Supernova.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Unfortunately, the best talent does not always win. America usually votes a little wierd. Like Simon said, there are only two in this show and they are in an entirely different league. I'm sure they both already have producers giving them great offers.

Ricky Minor's band is awsome, it is my favorite part of the show. Last year he did kind of a solo and it was great.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

The quality of singing is way higher than in the versions over here.

Phil, is the UK's show format pretty much the same as the US version?

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

As for the singers...seeing them live it's really apparent who is leading the band and who is just singing karaoke. But it's like Simon always says, "You've either got it or you don't." And just because you can sing doesn't mean you've got it.

How true that is! Just because someone has a great voice doesn't mean they can actually sing. It's like having a high-end bass, but not knowing how to actually play it. Some folks "play" their voices, some do not...the ones that do not usually don't even comprehend the difference.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Pop Idol in the UK was similar, though in the earlier series there was less pomp and circumstance and you got to see more of what was going on backstage in terms of vocal practising, song choice/arranging and so forth. Unfortunately it got more and more glitsy and shorter of content, and then was replaced by The X-Factor which is utter tosh. I do enjoy American Idol - the judges are much more straightforward and honest, there is more focus on the music and the singers are in another league to those in the UK shows. (Apart from the very pretty but dire female vocalist that fortunately failed to make the final 12).

The UK show has produced one legitimate artist out of how many winners?

Alex

I think American Idol is a good example of the need for singers to be able to "sell" a song. Last year, Taylor Hicks was not a great "voice" but had salesmanship. He could never sound well on a recording but can probably put on a great live show. The two front running ladies this year can sing and sell very well.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

There are only 2 real contenders this year. That's Lakisha and Melinda, and of the 2 Melinda is the most versatile and has better range.

I disagree. Being only 17, I think that Jordin is not far behind Lakisha and Melinda. Also, I think she is much more marketable in the pop scene, which is what this show caters too.

I thought Mandisa was much greater than McPhee, but she's just not as much a pop star.

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

It's like having a high-end bass, but not knowing how to actually play it...

Dave

Yeah...I feel like sometimes. I see all these bass players running all the great and crazy lines, and I think I should be doing that but then that doesn't always fit with Metal.

There are only 2 real contenders this year. That's Lakisha and Melinda, and of the 2 Melinda is the most versatile and has better range.

I disagree. Being only 17, I think that Jordin is not far behind Lakisha and Melinda. Also, I think she is much more marketable in the pop scene, which is what this show caters too.

I was puzzled by this post at first, wade. I always liked her voice and recognised her talent but thought Jordin was years off the finished article. But then in this week's show I thought Jordin sang great. Definitely one of the top three this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqu6KKo6otg

Maybe that's her benefiting from all the vocal coaching. She still years off the quality of the other two though IMHO.

My mind says that Melinda is the best singer but Lakisha is the one that I prefer for some reason. I think the first time I heard her sing just knocked me out. I'd love to hear Lakisha belt out some Gospel one week. Well, I guess there's a few weeks left!

I go back and forth from Melinda to Lakisha they are both great. I love the song "God Bless the Child" but I was a liitle disappointed in the arrangement this week. I do agree with Wade, Jordan is probably the most marketable and she is great for her age. Melinda and Lakisha will both have great recording careers. You never know who will win. Chris Daltry said "not winning was the best thing for his career". Is the UK one week behind in the viewing?

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

They might show it earlier on pay TV. I only bother with the free stuff. They show three hours of it on a Friday, combining shows. I usually record it and ff though. Tonight I had to catch some on Youtube as I missed Melinda on the TV. Tonight they just showed the Diana Ross one, is that a week behind or just a few days.

I thought the arrangement of 'God Bless the Child' was a bit 'Vegas' but she sang it well.

Phil, If you ever have the chance, listen to God Bless the Child by "Asleep at the Wheel", the Texas western swing band. It is my favorite and it is very well done and unique. It is very Jazz oriented. It's very hard to find, if you like, I will Email it to you.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Just a few days behind, we saw that one earlier this week. The only part of it I saw was Lakisha. I agree with you Rocky, she did a great job but I didn't like the treatment of that song - maybe it's time for me to bust out the Blood, Sweat & Tears cassettes.

FWIW, Melinda is the talk of the town in Tulsa and Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. She attended one of the largest high schools in the area and a huge church. Of course she was active in every singing opportunity both had to offer. Local news channels have interviewed her youth pastor, music teachers, friends, etc. Every week they feature footage from a watch party.

- Matt W.

Not experienced? Only becuase nobody has come right out and made a list.

Not sure how authoritative this is, but after some searching I found results from a Barnes & Noble search HERE.

CeCe Winans, Rich Mullins, Kirk Whalum, Aaron Neville - the A list of Gospel musicians. I happen to have Rich Mullins the Jesus record and, sure 'nuff, she is credited on it; that's a 1998 release (Neat story behind that album: Rich was killed in a motor vehicle accident before the album was fully underway. He left some rough sketches he made in an empty church with a guitar and a tape recorder. His band finished the album after he was killed in a vehicle accident).

- Matt W.

Hey Matt, Have you listened to my favorite Gospel singer, "Beverly Crawford"? She has a fantastic band behind her. Her bass player is sort of Awsome. Listen to "Born Again" if you have the opportunity.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Now I remember, she was the one at audition who was a professional backing singer who didn't know if she had what it took to sing out front, right?

Exactly. Simon's comments at her audition:

Melinda, we have a lot of people who come in here with a lot of attitude and a lot of confidence, and they're not very good. You walk in with no confidence, no attitude, and yet you are a brilliant singer...a brilliant singer, seriously, you know you are what it's all about, a great voice. I'm concerned about the lack of confidence about the fact that you've been in the background, but let me tell you, you are in the top two percent of good singers this year.
REALITYTVMAGAZINE.COM

Hey Matt, Have you listened to my favorite Gospel singer, "Beverly Crawford"? She has a fantastic band behind her. Her bass player is sort of Awsome. Listen to "Born Again" if you have the opportunity.

I'm not familiar with Beverly. Just found THIS at YouTube, the bass is not heavy in the mix but you can hear a funky lick here and there. It gets tasty around 5:00 into the video.

I'm just miffed that the two most attractive ladies already got voted off...
Could it be that the voters have lost their minds? Or maybe the public has been numbed by too many years of pop princesses with exposed navels.
- Matt W.

I'm just miffed that the two most attractive ladies already got voted off... :crazy:

But one of them really couldn't sing! Mind you, who am I to talk... And the man with the most entertaining facial hair got kicked out!

Once again hopeless young thingummy has survived despite a lack of intonation and balls, even compared to the girls. There are some very legitimate artists in the final 12, the beatboxing dude seems a musical thinker.

I worry about Randy's musical taste but it seems his penchant for widdly post-Mariah vocalists is wearing off somewhat. But dawg, he knocks the X-factor 'judges' into a cocked hat.

Alex

From what I've seen this year, if it isn't Melinda and Lakisha in the finals, something went terribly wrong. As it is, I really believe there is a conscious effort to keep less deserving contestants on the show.. I guess there's a website out there votefortheworst.com (?) that might have something to do with Sanjaya's Rasputin-like longevity... Was totally shocked to see Sundance voted off. Yes, he's an R&B one-trick pony, but he IMO totally outperformed Sanjaya, even when he tried songs out of his comfort zone. Sundance could front my band anyday..

Seems to me the judges are offering conflicting advice to the contestants.. They're telling 'em you need to make these songs your own, put your stamp on it... then turn around last week and completely tear down a guy who IMO done a very good job in making a Diana Ross song his own.. "why mess with a classic?" That would drive me nuts....

I think the main audience and the ones most likely to call and vote are teenage girls. A cute boy can go a long way in the competion. Remember, these voters and not necessarily voting on talent alone.

I agree the judges are not consistant with their criticizem. I'm not sure how much their comments affect the outcome of the voting.

I think what happened with Chris Daughtry last year was his fan base thought he was was sure to win and did vote as much as they should.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

I'm doing the TiVo thing, so have only watched up to the Diana Ross episode. I like the band, yada yada yada. But is it just me, or is the band too loud? i keep reaching for the imaginary faders to boost the vocal by 2 or 4Db and cut the band by a like amount. Like Simon says, this is a singing competition. And especially with the expanded band format in the bigger venue, I can't hear 'em.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived