Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tony Bennett 'Duets' PBS Special - Pianist?

Legatoboy

I caught the Tony Bennett PBS special on the making of his new 'Duets' cd and it was recorded with a live band. Supposedly the other vocal guests weren't told it was a live (studio) recording until they got there. It was very cool indeed!

Man I tell you, the piano player on the session was 'right there', such a good player(s) from a 'professional cat' standpoint. Does anybody know who it was on that session. It kinda looked like Andy LaVern! He was reading charts! Probably mostly for 'changes'! It wasn't his regular piano player! Did that gentleman pass-away recently. I hope not, I enjoyed his playing also.

lb

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony came from Astoria, Queens NY. Someone I work with in my office husband grew up with him. That's was an interesting XMAS party conversation.

Astoria wasn't to far from where I grew up in Queens. My first music (accordion) teacher (a very good one) came from there.

Music was taken very seriously in that neighborhood, very seriously. Kept Tony young! Old world neighborhood!

Somehow I feel like Bob Dole or Yoda in this post, hmm!

Are they really that old, my lord! god bless em!

lb :wave:

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

http://www.shayneerainbolt.com/gallery/SFR&Lee.jpg

This is Lee Musiker...

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

http://www.yamaha.com/publications/accent/accentwinter2006/images/articles/05-jazz1.jpg

... here he is with Tony Bennett himself (sorry for the small image)

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

http://www.jazzpolice.com/images/stories/NewYork/Bill_charlap_200px.jpg

... and this is Bill Charlap

Dreamer,

That looks like the TB 'Duets' session's piano player, yeah, thats probably him! Ah, obviously you know him pretty well I might guess or you happened upon that picture somewhere online of Lee! Looks pretty candid?

lb

Bridog6996,Dreamer,

I think I've seen some clips with Bill Charlap also on TV and Tony! The other piano player he uses is much older isn't he, wasn't he the pianist that was with him for 30 years or so?

Thanks,

LB

The picture with Lee Musiker and Tony Bennett was taken at the 48th Monterey Jazz festival; Lee played with Tony also in a concert held in 2004 in Ancona, Italy.

Here is another picture of Lee and Tony together, at the concert held in Buckingham Palace to celebrate the 50 years of Elizabeth II as Queen of England.

http://www.yamaha.com/publications/accent/Accent302/images/new/tony.jpg

This is the only picture of Bill Charlap and Tony Bennett together I was able to find (...sorry, the website doesn't let me to post the picture; you have to click on the link to see it).

Lee is really some piano player! Though I don't know if he's a improvisor from what I saw and based on his bio, probably not. Not that I'm saying he couldn't/doesn't improvise, but it sounds like he has alot of different skill sets. He's not a McCoy Tyner type of player for example.

Bridog6996, nice 8th notes on the Rhodes solo in the myspace cut - Particles btw! Slide player sounds alittle like Derek Trucks alittle too btw!

lb

Dreamer,

Muchas Gracias . . !

lb

De nada! :wave:

After I watched the PBS special, I bought the CD in order to try to play along with it. Tony Bennet's timing of phrases is very subtle and interesting.

The program notes list the Tony Bennett Quartet as:

Lee Musiker - Piano

Paul Langosch - Bass

Harold Jones - Drums

Gray Sargent - Guitar

Archived