Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PBS tribute to James Taylor

stepay

So, not sure how often this has been run, or when it was taped, but last night PBS ran a tribute to James Taylor. Bunch of different famous musicians from Shery Crow to Dr. John to Taj Mahal to Jackson Browne to Sting came up and played and sang his songs to him.

Seems like an odd thing. Not sure I'd want other people singing my songs back to me. I'll have to think about why that is, but first impression was that.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that special. I actually enjoyed the hearing the other artist , James seemed to dig it too.

James is a songwriter, I'm sure he was extremely honored to hear it. If i wrote a song and other people wanted to sing it,I couldn't think of a higher compliment.

Really liked Cheryl's take on Mexico.Almost forgot what a great song that is.As a guitarist, the intro immedietely hooks you and you want to listen and play it

Trill,

I can see your point about James being a songwriter. He's also a damn fine performer of his own stuff though. I guess maybe I could see myself cringing from time to time if they really did it much different from how I intended it to be. I'm sure James Taylor is classy enough to act like he's digging it even it he wasn't. Maybe he really did dig it. I think I would not have.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Well written songs tend to be very adaptable. They work well within a range of tempos, grooves, instrumental as well as vocal, etc. Standards have become standards because of this.

I despise the cover band mentality that a song can only be played like the original recording. Aren't musicians supposed to be creative people?

Busch.

To be fair, James has covered a few tunes in his time and had hits with them as well. "Up on the Roof", "Handyman" and "How Sweet It Is" to name a few. He and Carly Simon did a nice version of "Mockingbird" too. I think you are dealing with a musician here who has big enough ears to enjoy hearing his tunes come back him in different garb. And yes, he does write well.

I despise the cover band mentality that a song can only be played like the original recording. Aren't musicians supposed to be creative people? Busch.

I agree. :thu:

I'm sure JT would have a deeper appreciation for someone "saying something" with his song versus playing it verbatim i.e. like the record.

Now my question is, did anyone perform "I Was a Fool to Care"? That is a nice tune. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Well written songs tend to be very adaptable. They work well within a range of tempos, grooves, instrumental as well as vocal, etc. Standards have become standards because of this.

I despise the cover band mentality that a song can only be played like the original recording. Aren't musicians supposed to be creative people?

Busch.

Yes, musicians are creative people. I liked hearing those covers of his songs, but I didn't write them. I would think that if I had written some popular songs that I had played a million times, I might not like to hear others play them. Perhpas just me. Kind of like being an author and being invited to a reading of your own stuff. I'd be thinking, "yeah, I've heard that before."

Perhaps he liked it.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

I think you need to see it as a tribute from his peers honoring the impact his songs have had on their lives and the industry as a whole. It would only be the coldest of hearts that would be critiquing people's renditions of your songs at a show that was paying tribute to you.

"For instance" is not proof.

I worked on a James Taylor tribute CD with Tower of Power a few years back called "Sketches of James". There's some great work on the disc by Robben Ford, Mitch Forman, Pancho Sanchez's band, the New York Voices, and a bunch of others. Tower did "Steamroller Blues" ala James Brown's "Funky Good Time".

I'm watching it now and really enjoying it. I'm sure James is just enjoying the whole thing and not tearing up the performances. As the talentless viewer, that's my job. :)

I'll keep my silly thoughts to myself, except that I don't expect anybody to top Alison Krauss and Jerry Douglas.

If James did nothing but sing, or play guitar, or write songs, he'd still be a master.

--wmp

That trifecta is what places him among the elite of the elite--like Stevie Wonder, Prince, George Benson, George Duke, Eric Clapton, etc. These people are what I call a musician's musician. They inspire me to continue to strive and grow with my own music.

I think you need to see it as a tribute from his peers honoring the impact his songs have had on their lives and the industry as a whole. It would only be the coldest of hearts that would be critiquing people's renditions of your songs at a show that was paying tribute to you.

Well, I must have a cold heart. I don't like cats, so maybe that's a symptom? :)

Steve (Stevie Ray)

I wish James would release something new; I'm ready for more!

Well I believe he actually sings with his son Ben on his new cd. His son sounds a lot like him. Some difference in style

My son has the cd and then my wife bought it also

Archived