Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got Gas?

Legatoboy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

leber_wurst,

I really dig your avitar man! Boy you can play fast! Can you play slow too?

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Leber_wurst,

I'd just love to see you avitar slower thats all, your favorite key IS . . . .I guess C or, no F !

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

L_W,

That's what I wanted to play as my first instrument as a wee tike! The Bones! like age 5! I settled on Trumpet by first grade! I didn't have the aperture then so, Accordion was next!

All those big band shows in the 1957 on TV and my parents talking Big Band talk! I wanted to play the bones real bad man!

Funny!

lb

L_W,

Playing slow, is sometimes harder than playing fast on piano!

Muscle control stuff!

lb

L_W,

Playing slow, is sometimes harder than playing fast on piano!

Muscle control stuff!

lb

and all the technique kindastuff... Just now I'm home again after piano lessons. My teacher has a new grand piano (I did of course suck on all the parts concerning pedal work and dynamics), and dude, I'd like to say f*ck all the digital pianos... my P250 seems soooo crappy in comparison...

I WANNA GRAND PIANO!

GAAAAAS!

The Dromb Bopper

lb,

I know, the digitals really do pale in comparison (in reality), but if you gig, it really is the only viable option most times. Not that there aren't acoustics to gig on. I have heard here on the radio on WKCR the jazz station,

on the 'musicians show', that there is a shortage of pianos in jazz performance spaces/rooms in the Manhatten. But after talking to someone here on the Forum they didn't feel that was the case!

I agree with your GAS.... which I agree, is really the ultimate GAS for a piano player. Gigging, things aren't what they were in terms of pianos in clubs etc, but neither is the music or the times, so. I almost wish I was a player in the 30's & 40's from a piano standpoint as a working piano player. Then you have to contend with all the bad acoustic pianos though! But It really was more of the true art of piano back them....

sorry about the bad grammer in the un-editerd post before, I'm in work as usual!

lb

lb,

I know, the digitals really do pale in comparison...

Unless... :idea:

You get a Kurz PC1 or PC2 with the magnificient software editor. :P

(ultimate Kurz GAS proposition). :grin:

Remember my neighbor who's crazy about farm animals loves the Kurz piano sound. :freak::wave:

Well well,

There is that darn automated Kurzweil pop-up ad again!

How do you turn that thang off. . . .?

(She will here to be known in my mind as the 'Kurzweil Girl'!)

lb

Cy,

You mean the Kurzweil Girl...!

(oh ok!, Irin-aaaaaaaaaah, ok - If I must!)

You are a lucky man! For chrissake, buy that wil-chile some clothes man! Can't have her walking around here like 'That' with all the barnyard animials on this forum!

Bow-WOW!

lb

Jeebus,

Does it EVER stop, I think were gonna have to make a new version of 'The Ring' with a new star and slightly re-arranged plot line. The Kurzweil that never sleeps! Of course she loves your Kurzweil! I see why now! It has all become very clear. Honey, why don't you go work with your Kurzweil for a while and I'll see you later - (wink)! She just taps right into that passion! Could be MUCH worse!

lb

Cydonia,

It's almost like a pathological liar (though I'm not saying the fairer sex is sinister (mostly)), like a flip-flop circuits that actually make them believe the 'No'.....!

They say that one of the main difference in men's senses of humor and why men tend to like slapstick (even Einstein probably watched the 3 Stooges) and women tend to like left handed punch lines type jokes that un-fold or something to that effect is that men -expect a 'reward', women don't necessarily do!

we are truly DOGS!

Guess were just hardwired to deliver the payloads in more ways than one!

Later Dude,

I'm headed home from work,

good weekend!

lb

leber_wurst,

I really dig your avitar man! Boy you can play fast! Can you play slow also?

lb

what's slow, man?

btw: if you look really close, you'll spot my favorite key :grin:

I didn't miss you dropping those F-bombs :D

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

L_W, SilverDragon,

F is a nice and weird key at the same time I find! I like the blues 'divit' (as I call it) in that key. In a blues line like b,c,f - next ocatave up,(down now)c,b,b flat,a flat,g,f - for that blues figure (fingering -125214321) there is a certain kenetic comfort that is unique feelwise in F. It lays there in that key in a way that is unlike any other key.

I once heard Ray Charles say, 'F, Man who can play in that key'!

But alot of players like F espically for blues, also the Eb and Bb (4 and 6) chords really 'bristle' in F for some reason and make you know that in fact each key does sound 'different'! I think it's because it's a half step away from F# possibly. The 'cutover' key from # to flats signature wise. It's 'stretched' in a certain way in F!

btw, L_W, I like the way you're playing on your avitar (in case there was any question about that) alot man. My 'slow' remark was just a tangent thought, I was probably alittle jealous of that 'motion on the ocean' man, your fulcrum from your shoulder down and your balance to the keyboard with your hands looks very nice man, keep playing the acoustics, very good!

LB :wave:

delirium,

very funny!

Nitris-oxide I hope! Whippet-Whippett good. No man I don't do that. I'd collapse! I'm really just a tea-tottler with moments of brillance!

lb :grin:

L_W, SilverDragon,

F is a nice and weird key at the same time I find! I like the blues 'divit' (as I call it) in that key. In a blues line like b,c,f - next ocatave up,(down now)c,b,b flat,a flat,g,f - for that blues figure (fingering -125214321) there is a certain kenetic comfort that is unique feelwise in F. It lays there in that key in a way that is unlike any other key.

I once heard Ray Charles say, 'F, Man who can play in that key'!

But alot of players like F espically for blues, also the Eb and Bb (4 and 6) chords really 'bristle' in F for some reason and make you know that in fact each key does sound 'different'! I think it's because it's a half step away from F# possibly. The 'cutover' key from # to flats signature wise. It's 'stretched' in a certain way in F!

F is nice, still I prefer G... nothing sounds like gospel tunes in G ;)

btw, L_W, I like the way you're playing on your avitar (in case there was any question about that) alot man. My 'slow' remark was just a tangent thought, I was probably alittle jealous of that 'motion on the ocean' man, your fulcrum from your shoulder down and your balance to the keyboard with your hands looks very nice man, keep playing the acoustics, very good!

LB :wave:

Concerning my avatar: I like my playing too :P but my ava is a GIF image which I produced by stop-motion. You know... put a camera on a tripod, go into position, shoot a photo, next postition, shoot a photo, and so on... then you puzzle them photos together so it looks a bit like a movie... the speed of the pictures changing is editable... I think what I was playing on the keyboard (the beloved P250) was some honky octaves in the bass (C-G-C-G-C-G) and a simple C triad in the right hand.

BTW: what do you call this bass(C-G-C-G) in english? translated directly from german this would be "changing bass" but I doubt that's the correct term

The Dromb Bopper

l_w,

Well it actually looks like you are playing the C octave notes in your LH I believe while playing the the the alternating C chord then G chord (I think) in your RH. If that was the case you would be actually playing a C Chord to a C9 (Gmajor chord in RH). The 9 being the D note of the G Chord. It's really not a C-G, it's a C to a C9. That's one way to look at it!

You could look at it as a C to a G11 also but your not voicing a b7 in G, so technically it couldn't be an 11. It's either a C to C9 or C to G sus 4 with the sus 4 being the C octave in the bass.

You are 'shifting' the bass note in a sense over the G, yes but I'm note sure what that makes reference to exactly translated from German! It's probably a 'simplified ' term to just describe how to play it. Probably better to think of it in terms of a C to a C9.

If you were just playing a (C-G-C-G) in your LH over a plain C chord in the right it would be a C to a Gsus13 (the C being the sus4 and the E being the 13.

The 'Shifting LH' is actually 'Shifting' your RH chord to an extended open voicing of the G.

lb :wave:

l_w,

Well it actually looks like you are playing the C octave notes in your LH I believe while playing the the the alternating C chord then G chord (I think) in your RH. If that was the case you would be actually playing a C Chord to a C9 (Gmajor chord in RH). The 9 being the D note of the G Chord. It's really not a C-G, it's a C to a C9. That's one way to look at it!

You could look at it as a C to a G11 also but your not voicing a b7 in G, so technically it couldn't be an 11. It's either a C to C9 or C to G sus 4 with the sus 4 being the C octave in the bass.

You are 'shifting' the bass note in a sense over the G, yes but I'm note sure what that makes reference to exactly translated from German! It's probably a 'simplified ' term to just describe how to play it. Probably better to think of it in terms of a C to a C9.

If you were just playing a (C-G-C-G) in your LH over a plain C chord in the right it would be a C to a Gsus13 (the C being the sus4 and the E being the 13.

The 'Shifting LH' is actually 'Shifting' your RH chord to an extended open voicing of the G.

lb :wave:

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Now to solve the riddle... I zoomed onto the image, and it seems I play a simple C chord in 2nd inversion with a C octave in the bass, so it's not quite the Cmaj9 ;-)

Now let's stop this quizzing and start talking about important things... such like GAS

The Dromb Bopper

L_W,

I'm looking at an upright unfortunately, I want a Baby grand in the worst way, but my wife and my den size and $ is preventing this.

I thought I wanted a Yamaha U3 or and older Yamaha YUX (nice tech on this piano) but I have discovered the U1 (cheaper) sound coming out of the piano is more 'balanced' in terms of bass, middle and treble registers and that makes the finger to note connection for me even better and my ear and mind won't be distracted from any perceived 'boomeyness' and any compensation I would apply to my technique! Then I found that Techs and Piano Teachers feel the same way about the U1 and there is this 'known' thing about that specific Yamaha upright. It's held in high regard that way. So I felt I leaned something there. I discovered this playing and jumping back and forth between the U1 and U3.

I know the U3 might actually be a superior piano under more performance oriented conditions but this will be my home practice piano, not a performance instrument. I want to hear my piano 'clearly' when practicing in an immediate way!

Other than that 'I want a Steinway', I grew up 15 min. from Steinway street in Queens New York. So close and yet, so far. Or even better I'd like a Hamburg Steinway! If I'm gonna dream, I gonna dream hard. I have taught on a few Steinways as a piano teacher! And some of the 'Library' gigs my old band used to play had one and the Jazz Standard in New Your City. So I have played a few!

The U1 will be a major improvement from my Everett 48" upright (studio) piano. I liked the Everett because it had a heavy action

and nice bass response and Everett was owned by Yamaha so it is not a bad piano. It needs an upgrade though. The U1's sound an action will help move me to the next level, I hope!

lb

Archived