Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

High Output Pickups magnetic effect

ForkofTuning

I was reading somewhere online last week that "high output" pickups will kill sustain and perhaps negatively affect other things because the strong magnets pull on the strings I guess inhibit some positive attributes. To what extent is this true?

I can't find a place that really overviews low/mid/high output pickups and how they affect the sound quality. I was under the impression that high output also meant they would pick up more possible sound (more sensitive), I didn't think they would possibly dampen other things.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is true, though I've never tested the real world affects.

At some point the magnetism of the p'ups would have to dampen string vibrations. It's simple physics. But whether any p'ups are strong enough for this to be a significant issue I can't say.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yeah, you have to strive for the happy medium.

Pickups are bar magnets that are wound many times by a thin wire.

The stronger the magnet, the more the magnetic pull on your steel strings.

Another thing that will affect the sound of your pickup is the amount of winds of wire around your pick up.

THe more winds, the more gainy and less clean.

I'll grab a quick article that illustrates this.

http://www.guitartechcraig.com/techpckp/pickups.htm

Randy

"Just play!"

IN the mid to late 70's, DiMarzio came out with it's Super Distortion Humbucking Pickup, whihc was supposed to be the hottest pickup in the histroy of aWestern Civilization, or something. Little kiddies (and not-so-little kiddies) drooled over the ads in Guitar Player, and had dreams at night that left their shorts sticky, all prominently featuring the dreamer in front of massive crowds of screaming fans, their guitar triumphantly howling the most magnificent tone anybody ever heard of.

Well, a couple of years after they came out, everybody who tried them realized that they might be hot, but they sounded like poop. That's when word started getting around that hotter isn't necessarily better when it comes to pickups.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Good point there Picker.

I have 2 strats.

On the Rosewood neck strat, I have Seymour Duncans. 1-bridge Hot Rail & 2 Duckbuckers.

The hot rail is outstanding for lead and the Duck Buckers have a great Strat snappy sound!

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/4/1/0/369410.jpghttp://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/4/3/3/369433.jpghttp://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/4/3/3/369433.jpg

In retrospect, although I really like the sound of the Hot Rails, I probably should've put a Jr.59 in there.

I didn't want to make my Strat sound Un-Strat like, so I tried to get the best of both worlds.

But so far, I haven't found reason to replace the Hot Rails yet, but who knows?

I may have a future G.A.S. attack. :grin:

"Just play!"

IN the mid to late 70's, DiMarzio came out with it's Super Distortion Humbucking Pickup, whihc was supposed to be the hottest pickup in the histroy of aWestern Civilization, or something. Little kiddies (and not-so-little kiddies) drooled over the ads in Guitar Player, and had dreams at night that left their shorts sticky, all prominently featuring the dreamer in front of massive crowds of screaming fans, their guitar triumphantly howling the most magnificent tone anybody ever heard of.

Well, a couple of years after they came out, everybody who tried them realized that they might be hot, but they sounded like poop. That's when word started getting around that hotter isn't necessarily better when it comes to pickups.

I remember when those POS's came out. I never bought into them and anyone I knew who had them sounded like crap IMO!

I have Gibson Classics on my LP and they suit me just fine. I like their "mellowness".

Now.. for my Strat, I'm happy with the stock P/Us right now but maybe 5 years from now, I'll ponder whether or not I need "hotter" P/Us.

Too funny...

That was me.. well all but the messy shorts thing and the drooling thing and there were no screaming throngs of women tearing at my jeans either...

...and ya they were muddy and mine only lasted a few years before I had to rewind it. I had it at the bridge and a dual sound at the neck with a phase switch setup. First bastardization I ever performed on a REAL guitar. Sad shit that was.

Ya.. it was the f%&*#in' 70's do I have to explain everything!

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Actually, if you compare a SuperDistortion/Dual Sound with the ratings of some pups in other guitars (including Gibson) it looks like pretty small beer these days.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Yes, that is correct.

The magnets in any pickup are ALWAYS working and not electrically activated.

Exactly! Fork, you're confusing an electro-magnet which generates a magnetic field because of electricity with a passive, "permanently" charged magnet wrapped in a coil which picks up the vibrations of your strings and transduces the physical activity, via magnetic induction, into an electrical signal. In the former the electricity is the engine creating magnetism. In the latter change in magnetic flux drives the electrical signal. No electricity required for the magnetic field to be generated.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

If you (literally) beat a magnet with a hammer, then it'll lose some of its magnetism, but they don't lose very much over the years if they are treated well.

My 1970s DiMarzio PAF sounds exactly like my 2005 model.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived