Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibson Thunderbird Studio 4 - A Brief Review

Rick on Bass

Well the T-bird finally arrived and I went to go pick it up tonight. On the way home, I stopped by a local bar to meet a promoter, who happened to be bartending, to pick up some tix and flyers for our next gig when we return from TX(yes we get things done right away). Tonight was the open mic night for the bar, and having the bass with me, I brought it in.

Immediately the case itself drew attention and when people asked me what was inside, I set it on a table and opened it up. The unique smell of the case wafted up and the beautiful ebony fish was laying inside the white soft interior begging to be played.

The band who runs the open mic had all their gear set up and worked out a few kinks in the sound, and the session was underway. Shortly after I was invited up to play. This bass plays like a dream. I'm used to fender jazz basses but I had no problems adjusting to the T-bird at all. It is a heavy bass indeed, the body is like a boulder of weight, but naturally that would explain it's amazing sustain and tone.

You can slap on this bass no problem, if you wanted. I play fingerstyle and I slap on occasion. I was concerned how this bass would respond to slap. NO worries at all, slappers.

The upper register, for those who venture there, is a bit of a challenge to play. The cut-out on the body doesn't really allow you to go all the way up and play those notes, you need to flip your hand over and work those notes carefully if you're going to go there.

As far as acheiving different tone goes, I would say this bass is NOT a one trick pony. You got the traditional 3 knob configuration with 2 volumes and a tone knob. I found that by using one or the other pickups, or both, gave you 3 distinct different sounds although they all definately sound T-bird. The tone knob also does a lot. Now, keep in mind it's a simple bass with 3 knobs, not like this Ibanez bass I played that had like 6 knobs and switches and tonal variety out the ass. That's great, but who needs all that? I don't. The T-bird WILL give you a little variety and a LOT of attitude. Finger plucking in different locations without turning knobs also gives you a noticeable difference in tone.

This is all from playing the bass through my hartke at home and from a couple songs played at an open mic, on factory strings. Once I get this bass out on the road and get a few gigs under it's belt, I can probably give a more in-depth review. But, anyone who is considering purchasing a T-bird should PM me with any Q's they have and I will do my best to help you.

Tomorrow I will put on a set of DR Highbeams and throw those factory strings in the case for backups, or maybe I will keep the factory strings on until they wear. I don't know yet..I haven't played it enough to know what I want. Hopefully this review helps you, prospective T-bird buyer. Cheers.

The world will still be turning when you've gone...

Currently playing with Heather Noble and Maven

Myspace.com/rickonbass

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the new bass - glad to hear that it is meeting your expectations as well as your desires :thu:

Of course, no bass was really purchased without pictures...

What are you taking on the road?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

The upper register, for those who venture there, is a bit of a challenge to play. The cut-out on the body doesn't really allow you to go all the way up and play those notes, you need to flip your hand over and work those notes carefully if you're going to go there.

Nice review!

I noticed the same thing with the upper frets when I did a mini-review of the Tbird after messing around with one for less than half an hour at last year's Chicago blues festival. Kind of put the Tbird in the "not for me" category, but that's just personal preference. Obviously it is the right bass for a lot of players. Other than that the bass played well for me, too.

I didn't notice the weight because they had a stool there to sit on. But really, after playing a Peavey T-40 for many years, all basses are light to me. ;)

Have fun with your new fish and keep us posted!

Hey fellas glad you appreciate the review! It was a pleasure to post one! I will be bringing 2 basses with me on the road, the Marcus Miller J bass and the "Black Beauty" gibson thunderbird. I will probably reserve the J bass as the backup bass and let the BB get some stage time under the lights. I gotta break it in, ya know!

The world will still be turning when you've gone...

Currently playing with Heather Noble and Maven

Myspace.com/rickonbass

Archived