Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sustain Pedals & Synthesizers

oscarr111111

I was looking into buying a Juno-D in a few months to replace my dire casio board, Some of the stuff I'm learning requires a sustain pedal however.

Can I plug a digital one into a synth such as the Juno-D to simulate the effect it'd give on an acoustic or digital piano?

Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It means that if the polarity is wrong the notes sustain without pressing the pedal and don't sustain when you do. Yamaha & Korg used to have opposite polarities on sustain (I think).

The good news is that some pedals have a polarity switch to enable you to use it on both versions. Look out for 'universal' pedals.

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

Ok, thanks. Can you just go a little deeper into pedal polarity though? What exactly does this mean (is it just refering to the electric current?) and what should I look out for?

Cheers.

The Juno D will also likely have a toggle that allows you to switch it's interpretation of pedal polarity. In some other Roland synths it's in the system menu that deals with midi controllers.

Jerry

Roland and Yamaha use the same polarity. Ensoniq and Alesis use the opposite polarity. Those are the brands I have experience with.

Some synths, if the pedal is plugged in when the board is powered on, will automatically detect the polarity of the pedal and set themselves accordingly.

Interesting...yesterday I was wandering through a local outlet for a big national music store chain. A gentleman asked the a clerk how he could connect a foot switch to control the leslie fast/slow function for a patch on his Juno-D.

The clerk sold him a Roland Expression pedal and a sustain pedal!

I told the gentleman that the Roland D-Beam control works wonderfully for leslie-effect control.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

I told the gentleman that the Roland D-Beam control works wonderfully for leslie-effect control.

Ah, so people have finally found a practical use for it, hey ;) ?

There are a couple of good uses, but the Leslie speed function is great IMHO -- use it on a VR-760

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

I use an expression pedal to control the Leslie swell.

Haven't found much of a use for the D-beam, unless I'm doing my tribute to Gandalf, and I want that "weeooweeooweeeooooo" sound he gets when he's blowing smoke rings.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived