Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rainbow

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the same token, I couldn't name 15 currently popular bands, old coot that I am.

I could, but just speaking most of their names would cause me to throw up in my mouth a little... :freak:

Good, popular bands? Only one I can think of that I'd call good would be Coheed and Cambria - if ever there were a second coming of Rush, this would be that band.

So I'm chatting with the pre-school teachers at drop-off this morning and the one tells me that Black Sabbath is coming through the area soon (they know I'm a music guy). The other teacher, who's like 25 or 26 says "Black Sabbath? Who?

:eek:

Uh-oh.

Well, tell you MY horror story. One time, a few years back, I was near a large record store with some time to kill and decided I really wanted a copy of "Raw Power" by Iggy and the Stooges. I couldn't find it and asked one of the shop assistants if he had any Iggy Pop CDs.

The guy looked blank for a couple of seconds and asked, "Is Iggy Pop a style of music?". I never went back there again.

But, as my boss said when I told him my tale... "You should have replied: 'it's not a style of music, it's a style of life!'"

I can`t believe no one has mentioned `Lazy`-that is such a definitive jam, Boston probably would never have recorded `Smokin` without it and the riff can get stuck in your head for weeks.

I also can`t believe how absent DP`s music has been from ANY airplay, at least that I`ve been able to hear, since Steve M. joined. I know it`s got to be rockin but it looks like I won`t get to hear a single note of it without buying a CD-that is criminal.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I forgot to mention-during the 80s, the 80s no less, I was introduced to this young model type from the U.S. during a convewrsation with my housemate it came out that she had never heard of Bob Dylan. My housemate, who was French, was even more shocked than I was, he compared it to never having heard of the Pope.

It`s not just artists either, a year or two after I came here I went to a party with some younger people who were here on the same program. They were playing CDs and switching them after less than a minute, it was driving me nuts. One of them asked if I had any requests and I said, `yes, put the remote in the refrigerator and actually listen to something`. Well that went over about like snakeskin boots at a PETA meeting.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

[

Try this one first!

Purpendicular

:thu:

I'm one of the biggest fans of Deep Purple Mk. I, but I can't stomach 'Perpendicular' or any of the recordings that followed.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

[

Try this one first!

Purpendicular

:thu:

I'm one of the biggest fans of Deep Purple Mk. I, but I can't stomach 'Perpendicular' or any of the recordings that followed.

Hey Ed, what part of the Detroit area are you from?

I was born and raised in Garden City but I've been in New York for almost 15 years now.

I believe Ed is on the way east side, or maybe the thumb. He was sighted on the northwest side once upon a time. Nice guy! And I would definitely consider him an expert, especially on the topic at hand. :wave:

Garden City is nice. Just far enough north from Taylor-tucky to be normal people. (You don't fancy muskrat, do you?) :D

You may remember Jamie's, a club in Garden City on Ford Road a couple miles east of I-275. It was owned by Jamie Coe and featured his band as the house band. The club is still there, still open, still has a house band, but unfortunately Jamie passed away recently. We'll miss him.

A few of us still live in the Detroit area. Nobody's shut the light off yet. ;) New York is nice, too. Last time I was there I went to see a New York Broadway play. Afterwards I found out it was written by an Ann Arbor transplant and that one of the leads was a Detroit area transplant. ("Avenue Q". I'm sure nobody except Michiganders really get the line about "the quad", a well-known location on the U-M campus.) I had to drive all that way just to see some Detroit talent. Such a shame.

Since they closed the Lodge for construction ("Dodge the Lodge" is their slogan) I now drive by the Hitsville/Motown Historical Museum every day on my way to work.

And uh, oh yeah, what's the significance of "Rainbow In The Dark" by Dio?

Garden City is nice. Just far enough north from Taylor-tucky to be normal people. (You don't fancy muskrat, do you?) :D

You may remember Jamie's, a club in Garden City on Ford Road a couple miles east of I-275. It was owned by Jamie Coe and featured his band as the house band. The club is still there, still open, still has a house band, but unfortunately Jamie passed away recently. We'll miss him.

Ah, Garden City is a rathole. LOL!

I do remember Jamie's and have had a beer or two in the place long ago but I never knew what the name really signified.

I think it's on the corner of Ford and Venoy or Ford and Meriman... I can't remember now.

Thanks for the link.

Archived