Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another from the newbie...

trader56

You know, in getting back to this, fingers of wood and all, I thought about taking some brush-up lessons somewhere. Then, in searching around and on EBay, I see all these virtual guitar lesson DVD's that people are now putting out where you can watch the playing, fingering etc.

I really thought that was cool since when I played it was all pretty much by ear. As a kid, I'd taken the obligitory piano lessons from some elderly lady, and played trumpet in school band for years, but never worked on learning to read music with the guitar, or even on tabulature.

So...my questions are:

How important do yuo guys think being able to read music or tab is?

Also, I've found a company called Note4note that does what seem like some pretty good discs http://www.note4note.us/, and another guy, Bruce allen Jay at http://www.ajrockguitar.com/ who also seems to have some good stuff to get up to speed with - all of these found via EBay. Do you guys have any experience or comments on the validity of these kinds of things?

Thank you again for any help or suggestions - sorry if I'm not quite up to the caliber of the board, hopefully that will be changing soon, and with yuor help I know it'll happen a LOT faster!!

I'll leave you in peace for now (but only for now LOL!)

Dave

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, in getting back to this, fingers of wood and all, I thought about taking some brush-up lessons somewhere. Then, in searching around and on EBay, I see all these virtual guitar lesson DVD's that people are now putting out where you can watch the playing, fingering etc.

I really thought that was cool since when I played it was all pretty much by ear. As a kid, I'd taken the obligitory piano lessons from some elderly lady, and played trumpet in school band for years, but never worked on learning to read music with the guitar, or even on tabulature.

So...my questions are:

How important do yuo guys think being able to read music or tab is?

Also, I've found a company called Note4note that does what seem like some pretty good discs http://www.note4note.us/, and another guy, Bruce allen Jay at http://www.ajrockguitar.com/ who also seems to have some good stuff to get up to speed with - all of these found via EBay. Do you guys have any experience or comments on the validity of these kinds of things?

Thank you again for any help or suggestions - sorry if I'm not quite up to the caliber of the board, hopefully that will be changing soon, and with yuor help I know it'll happen a LOT faster!!

I'll leave you in peace for now (but only for now LOL!)

Dave

YOU AGAIN? :o;) :grin: LMAO!!

Hey TraderDave....now, you are getting a bit spooky here. I played trumpet before guitar, then play guitar by ear. You're getting to be like some long lost clone!!! I'm only kidding you!!

In retrospect, lessions are a great idea, and I wish I had taken them. And, I'd like to learn to sight read. It certainly would open up many avenues to me. My kids can play at a level it took me, learning by ear pretty much all by myself, forty years to get to. And, that's just from watching me play.

Since I've never had a lession, nor can I sight read, I'm not the best person to take advice about this from!! But, I'd think if you can find a real live person locally, take lessions from him or her.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

In retrospect, lessions are a great idea, and I wish I had taken them. And, I'd like to learn to sight read. It certainly would open up many avenues to me. My kids can play at a level it took me, learning by ear pretty much all by myself, forty years to get to. And, that's just from watching me play.

Since I've never had a lession, nor can I sight read, I'm not the best person to take advice about this from!! But, I'd think if you can find a real live person locally, take lessions from him or her.

you know what the old saying is, "Never to late to teach an old DOC new tricks" ;) And by the way Doc, correct me if I'm wrong , but the way your spelling lessons seems to be lessions, like lessions on a person.. :eek: yuck. Sooo. saying that I will state that in this case that no Lessions are a good thing.

Now back to the point at hand and sorry for the thread hijack.

I too am self tought(spelling) and a play by ear guitar player and have been playing for a long time. I feel that if I took lessons when I first started I would be a much better player in terms of understanding the fret board. In fact I am going to start lessons within the next month and I am 43. I think it is very important to be able to read music, at least TAB and have been tossing around the idea of instructional DVD's but have held off because I would rather go and learn in person with a teacher. I am going to purchase Fretboard Logic though

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

As a kid, I'd taken the obligitory piano lessons from some elderly lady, and played trumpet in school band for years, but never worked on learning to read music with the guitar, or even on tabulature.

You must have learnt to read music if you played trumpet in a school band. Are you sure you've completely forgotten how to do it now? :)

Learning the notes on the guitar doesn't take very long if you already know your intervals (tone-tone-tone-semitone etc) and the proficiency at reading is something you'd have to work at yourself anyway. No teacher or video can practise for you.

I'd say just grab a bit of sheet music, grab the guitar and go for it. YOu'd be surprisedat how easily it all comes back to you.

Thanks, All!

Kramer, you make a good point!

I DID actually know how to read music to some degree once - in fact, I took a music theory class for guitar over a multi-week period about 10 years ago. I just dug out my old notebook and worksheets, and will get started. As I struggle, I'll keep re-reading your post for inspiration!

Archived